X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    *snip* In other words, we should never put too much stock into one person's declaration of what's "correct".
    A supremely important statement. Even in this forum, we tend to lean on the opinions of a core of perhaps at most, a dozen individuals who perhaps have a disproportionate influence on the forum itself.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

2. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    Perhaps he is talking about this look. This is a Scottish wedding, in Scotland, attended by Scots.

Yes but I wonder when that photo was taken.

Because being in the Pipe Band world I was acutely aware of when offwhite/cream hose were all the rage in Scotland, for Day Dress, Evening Dress, and Pipe Band dress.

Then the pure white hose became the rage and suddenly if you wore cream hose you looked hopelessly outdated.

I would think that most kiltwearing Scots asked about white hose during that period could honestly say "white hose is what we wear". Only a tiny minority would go to the expense of getting tartan hose.

Then just in the last few years white hose have been going out and black, navy blue, and charcoal grey hose have come in. Rare is the successful competition pipe band who still wears white, and I see that Kilt Hire firms are going to black in droves. (They stay cleaner-looking for one thing!)

That makes me suspect that the photo above isn't brand-new. (I note the piper is wearing pure-white hose, while some of the other are wearing cream, which suggests a possible date.)

BTW these trends start in Scotland, and the Scots are the first to make the switch. The last people to get the memo are the people out in the diaspora. There are pipe bands in the USA wearing outfits that are 30 years out of date, that no band in the UK or NI or Canada would wear.

And of course this stuff is mere fashion, what makes you look fashionable to the community or not. Fashions are never "correct" or "incorrect" but they are "in" or "out".

Scottish weddings back in the day.

Last edited by OC Richard; 11th May 18 at 07:05 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

4. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingandrew View Post
    I do wonder why I don't see any daywear jackets in this photo, since it seems to have been taken during the day.
    As I've mentioned before, I pipe at many weddings here in California and fairly often one side of the family flies over from Scotland.

These Scots have nearly always been dressed in standard Hire dress, with the ubiquitous black Prince Charlies, white hose, and ghillies laced high.

About the white hose aspect of it I will say that I've not piped at one of these weddings recently, not since dark hose began supplanting white hose in Scotland. These weddings were all during the white hose hegemony.

When I show up in a charcoal grey Argyll I'll be the only gent not in black.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

6. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

PatrickHughes123 is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    I recently ran into a Scot on a cruise. We were both kilted for a black tie evening - I with diced hose. He insisted that white hose and Gillies are what Scots wear for formal occasions - weddings, funerals, Sunday services, etc. When I commented that neither Rothesay nor the Clan Chiefs have been photographed with white but rather diced or Argyle, and rarely Gillies, he said "We don't care what Rothesay or the chiefs wear; we all wear white."

Not what I read here. Jock? Neloon? Alex? Others over there?

What's going on?
    Patrick Hughes here, actual Scot.

Well, I wouldn't say he is lying completely here. It is just exaggerated.

The last time I was at a wedding was years ago, and if I remember right, all of the kilt wearers wore white hose. I can't exactly remember the tartan, I think it was Pride of Scotland. So as I remember it, all plain white hose and all PoS tartan!

Now, things may have changed since then. I'm not sure, I would need to go to a wedding again to find out. But according to other people on this, it is no longer really acceptable anymore and people do tend to wear different colours or patterns now. But weddings as I know them and my personal wedding experience as I remember it, is white hose, all white hose.

But again, this guy appears to be exaggerating.

8. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to PatrickHughes123 For This Useful Post:

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickHughes123 View Post
    The last time I was at a wedding was years ago, and if I remember right, all of the kilt wearers wore white hose. I can't exactly remember the tartan, I think it was Pride of Scotland. So as I remember it, all plain white hose and all PoS tartan!
    White hose and Pride of Scotland tartan is a dead giveaway -- kilt rental. In the Lowlands that's the norm and in the Highlands it's often the case, but most of the Scottish hire firms don't rent out hose these days. They sell them for higher profit, instead, and frugal members of the wedding party have no use for them after the day, so they buy the least costly pairs -- always white. Many Scots -- Highlanders or Lowlanders --have their own kilts, but go off to the outfitter for a new pair of hose prior to the wedding . If you look again at the pic Steve posted, you can see the difference between new hose and those simply pulled from the drawer for the occasion. At least one pair is beautifully hand knit.

I'm at a wedding in Germany this Summer and I can (almost) guarantee that several of the men will be wearing newly-purchased white hose, but all will be wearing their own kilts. The last wedding I attended (at Inverness in December) there was not a white pair to be seen. No tartan garter flashes either, as I recall.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am of the suspicion that the white hose thing came from the 1960's when you just were not anyone unless you had a pair of hand knit hose in fisherman cables knit with love by your granny. They were almost always cream or ecru, thick and terribly hot. But they were made by granny so you wore them with pride.

It seemed in those days that everyone had these hand knit cable hose Some had large 'bobbles' which I am told were called "Piper's knots".

Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

12. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve,

Those are some pretty impressive white socks. I can't say I would ever feel underdressed wearing them, no matter what the occasion. But there is no doubt that the cookie-cutter look of hired kilt outfits has done much to undermine the white sock cachet.

Andrew

PatrickHughes123 is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    If you look again at the pic Steve posted, you can see the difference between new hose and those simply pulled from the drawer for the occasion. At least one pair is beautifully hand knit.
    Yes, I can tell. The reason I can tell is that I actually own a pair of plain white hose, they go good with my Royal Stewart kilt. And I have worn them so often that they are no longer bright white and they no longer look clean. They have started to go slightly grey-ish because of all the dirt and sweat. Should probably wash them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Patrick, out of curiosity, do you prefer only white hose or have you just not gotten around to getting another color? What other color would you get, if any? To me one of the most fun things about the kilt is choosing the color of socks for the desired look. Do you dislike colored hose?
    Last edited by tokareva; 8th June 18 at 10:58 AM.

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tokareva For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Searl View Post
    Maybe Black is the new white....personally I think Black hose is too drab to wear at a CELEBRATION and
    so is white hose.
    I'm from somewhere quite near this position. Having spent a lot of time on stage and/or lighting them, I struggled with both. Then I
    remembered that black is not a color, but the absence of one, and our subconscious seems to prefer color. With white, maybe there's
    an inner "Pick one, already" response to the fact that white is the mushing together of a bunch of colors. Either seems to jar the eye
    in these situations.

Though I will admit some of my animosity stems from a hair-pulling two days attempting to light a Batmobile for a trade show and get it
    to look sufficiently eye-popping. And having not been told ahead of time so I could plan and get better equipment. Then, late in the day
    the day before the show, my client flew in the so-called "best in the business" to cover my inadequacy. Taking one turn around the car,
    he looked at the client and me and said massive money was wasted flying him in. He went on to opine that with the equipment the client had brought it was amazing that I had gotten what I had, and the issue was the black.

Not to belabor the point, or perception, or mere opinion, a better result is almost always had with other choices.

18. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to tripleblessed For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast