X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How Did You Select Your First Kilt?

Over this weekend I've given some very serious thought as to what I want my first kilt to be. I definitely want the black 5.11 tactical kilt, and I have seen a couple of other tactical kilts that I would like, but beyond that I am wondering what my first non-tactical killed should be? Specifically I'm wondering what tartan I should choose considering that I am not Scottish or of Scottish descent?
    I definitely want the United States Navy tartan and the United States Army tartan as I have served in both services. I do like the Black Watch tartan and if I am correct it is considered to be a universal tartan so I think I would be safe in choosing that one as well.
    I am a fan of Laphroaig single malt, and I know that the Laphroaig distillery is on the Isle of Islay in Argyll Scotland. I guess my question is, is being a fan of that particular single malt a good enough reason or an appropriate reason to buy a kilt of the Argyll tartan. To further complicate matters, if I know what I am looking at as I read, there are several different patterns of Argyll Tartan. I guess I have more research to do.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor wretched souls who know neither victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt
    "Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Bluethunder90 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easy -- full 8-9 yd knife pleated Forrester Modern 13 oz tartan pleated to sett (family tartan only comes in 13 oz unless custom woven) , bought as part of the whole package including made to order black argyle and grey tweed argyle jackets and waistcoats, and the whole basic kit. Bought a few months in advance of a planned trip to Scotland where I presented a scientific paper at an international meeting held only a few miles away from my ancestral manse in Corstorphine just outside Edinburgh, a wee bit over 10 years ago.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first kilt was in the Gunn Modern tartan, it was my dad's old kilt he gave it to me over a decade ago as I was in need of a kilt for a work function. As for what tartan you could purchase all those sound like good reasons behind the decision. Have you thought of the xmarksthescot tartan? Or you could get The Scottish Wildcat Tartan which was conceived designed with input from this community?

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first kilt was, of course, in the clan tartan associated with my lineage. For those without genetic or familial ties to clans, it really doesn't matter how you pick the tartan for your kilt. There is no entry requirement, no examination, no form to fill out in order to justify it. Pick one because you like the colours or the style of the sett. Pick it because you like the organisation or the region it represents. Whatever suits your fancy. Just make sure you know what tartan it actually is!

With your service record, you could definitely go with the army or navy tartans. Any of the so-called universal tartans are options as well, and if you want to get into your first tartan kilt without breaking the bank on a bespoke build, you might do well to shop around for used ones in common tartans. Just make sure you measure yourself accurately so you know your sizing options. By purchasing a pre-owned kilt for your first, you'll save some money for all the traditional accessories that will be needed (proper hose, sporran, sgian dubh, garter ties or flashes, belt, kilt pin, and much more).

7. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To lighten the mood a bit, what is your blood level ratio to Laphroaig single malt? You may possess the right to wear the Argyll tartan by osmosis.
    Honoring that area by wearing a kilt in that tartan is a grand gesture in my opinion.

My first kilt was a US Army, utility kilt (PV) 4 yard box pleated. It was durable, light weight, fit the social settings I wore it to (biker rallies with lots of veterans) and spoke of my past. I liked the colors also.
    Last edited by Tarheel; 31st July 18 at 05:38 AM.

9. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine was my Family Linage, MacDonald Clanranald. I was fortunate as I was already familiar with my family Tartan and my grandfather had his Kilt from the turn of the 19th Century he got when he turned 18 years old. However, I felt it very important to obtain my Military Service Tartan on a kilt and just got a beautiful US Coast Guard 16 Ounce Kilt, that allowed me to join Scottish American Military Society (SAMS), and participate with them on ceremonies in the Washington DC area. Just recently, my wife wanted something different besides the Clanranald tartans, so sine my entire Father's side of my family comes from Nova Scotia, she got the Nova Scotia Provincial Tartan on a skirt and sash.

There a tartans for Law Enforcement, Firefighters, and even Dentists. You have many options, including if you have the resources you can design your own and register it.... There is no real rule, if you like a certain family tartan, wear it, you don't have to be related to that clan, but normally that is the case, but no hardfast rules apply. Many universal or fashion tartans to choose from too.

Tartan is the easy part, next part is making sure you get and wear the correct and proper accessories. You will find much talk about white hose, correct or not, the correct sporran, when to wear a dirk, never wear a belt with a waistcoast, and on and on. This is the best place you can find to get correct information from some of the most well informed people in the Scottish world.

Best of luck and let us know what you choose. Getting the Navy and Army good choices...
    Last edited by CollinMacD; 31st July 18 at 06:00 AM.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first was a Clergy Tartan for reasons that may or may not be obvious. I've since sold it to another XMarker since I'm wearing my Sinclairs to just about everything but... occasionally I regret letting it go.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first kilt was a tank in Lamont tartan. My grandmother was a Lamont and I bear the name as my middle name. It was what I consider my family tartan.

If you are a scotch fan, are you aware that there is a scotch whiskey tartan? USA Kilts posted it on their Facebook page a couple of days ago for Scotch Day. I think it is quite striking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first one was a Black Stewart. I chose it because it was one of four tartans offered by Stillwater about 14 years ago! It was the one I liked the best. The one in my closet now is Ireland's National, which I chose because my wife and I'm about to pull the trigger on a County Cavan tartan because that is where her grandfather came from after WWII. Next on the list will be the Marine Dress Blue tartan for my service in the Corps.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    My first one was a Black Stewart. I chose it because it was one of four tartans offered by Stillwater about 14 years ago! It was the one I liked the best. The one in my closet now is Ireland's National, which I chose because my wife and I'm about to pull the trigger on a County Cavan tartan because that is where her grandfather came from after WWII. Next on the list will be the Marine Dress Blue tartan for my service in the Corps.
    Simple. Its my Clan tartan, job done. I will wear no other.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

16. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast