X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For my first two kilts (in the $100 range) I stuck with an XMarks advertiser (Celtic Croft). 1. I figure that since this is where I've gotten all my questions answered regarding kilts and such I'll keep my money with the folks that support the site and 2. I kept the supplier in-country (I'm in the USA) as I figure if there's an issue shipping will be a bit easier.

For my third kilt...went with a XMarks partner (USAK).
    At a time like this one must ask themselves, 'WWJDD"
    What Would Jimmy Durante Do?

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Tobinn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the photos and review. You have given us valuable information of future purchases. Sorry for your trouble. I bet UT Kilts will hear of this.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest steaming with a handheld steamer.... it does wonders!
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP, being in Germany, you might be best off buying directly from the UK. I now try to by exclusively from the US and Canada to save on shipping and taxes/tariffs (even if the goods originated in the UK). Also shipping back is easier and cheaper if necessary.

I’m assuming that since the UK is a current EU member, buying from the UK would save you from tax headaches. Plus it’s much closer so shipping aught to be less.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to hijack the OP's thread but I'd mentioned that I also recently got a UT kilt. While mine is a utility kilt and will spend much of it's time covered in sawdust I was disappointed by the finish. The thread pulling away is on the under apron, it's impossible not to miss if someone would simply open the kilt and look at it. Unfortunate to say the least.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	46047369_455619374965641_4804723830352248832_n.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	190.2 KB 
ID:	35734

Name:	46099020_2192038511016648_5242583746040823808_n.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	35735

Name:	46058292_287561998565174_3131143339034804224_n.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	197.7 KB 
ID:	35736
    Joe the One Antlered Moose.

Faugh A Ballagh!

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Unimoose For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ctbuchanan View Post
    Sorry for your troubles. Nothing will erase the joy of receiving a new kilt faster than poor workmanship. I would be tempted to ask for a refund and send it back, but as you are overseas I'm not sure how much luck you would have with that.
    I should have asked where and by whom the kilts are made, but didn't.
    It's a bit too late to ask for a refund now, after several months. I didn't even give any feedback.
    I had been in contact by live chat with the shop owner Brice about the kilt, and he was very friendly and helpful. The kilt arrived sooner than expected and I thought maybe I shouldn't have expected anything better for that price.
    Of course I was aware that „the real thing“ is not to be had for less than 400 pounds. But I thought a kilt for 100 $ might do for everyday wear.
    It seems good everyday-wear kilts can be made for a relatively low price, but obviously not by everybody...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    May I ask please, when you say "custom made", what do you mean?

I was under the impression that UT Kilts are mass produced in Pakistan and that the only customization available was they would hem it up to a different length.
    I gave Brice my measurements (waist and length), so it seems I wrongly assumed that this means „custom-made“.
    So maybe they just hemmed it up.
    To think that this was just a mass-produced kilt that was altered a bit in length, oh great...

Quote Originally Posted by Unimoose View Post
    Not to hijack the OP's thread but I'd mentioned that I also recently got a UT kilt. While mine is a utility kilt and will spend much of it's time covered in sawdust I was disappointed by the finish. The thread pulling away is on the under apron, it's impossible not to miss if someone would simply open the kilt and look at it. Unfortunate to say the least.
    That's fine that you posted that here. It's very interesting to get to know about other experiences with UT-Kilts and to see photos.

Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post
    OP, being in Germany, you might be best off buying directly from the UK. I now try to by exclusively from the US and Canada to save on shipping and taxes/tariffs (even if the goods originated in the UK). Also shipping back is easier and cheaper if necessary.

I’m assuming that since the UK is a current EU member, buying from the UK would save you from tax headaches. Plus it’s much closer so shipping aught to be less.
    The Brexit is coming soon, but I will get my next kilt before that, I ordered a kilt from Scotland last Thursday. I just thought this time I want first class quality, and I would think I get that at Kinloch Anderson. I got to know that the best kilts in Scotland are made by Kinloch Anderson and Manley Richardson.

Last week there was a Black Friday offer, when 150 years of Kinloch Anderson was celebrated, you got 15% off all their made to measure kilts. So I just couldn't resist to order this kilt:

https://www.kinlochanderson.com/shop...derson-breacan

It's a kilt with a lower waist for casual wear (and it can be made in my favourite tartan, MacMillan Black). That's exactly what I need, as I'm unlikely to attend any weddings any time soon. By now the price is back to 415 pounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't stand for it. Send it back. By posting your concerns here you have highlighted their poor, shoddy work. I will steer well away from any of the products they are advertising.

Garth
    South African military veteran. Great grandson of Captain William Henry Stevenson of the Highland Light Infantry, Scotland (1880's) and brother to Infantryman Peter Mark Schumann of the 2nd Transvaal Scottish, South Africa (1980's).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Send the kilt back... though the shipping cost will exceed its value. There's loads of genuine wool used kilts on eBay to be had as well as ex hire kilts from the UK. Although the politicians are fighting like cats in a sack over Brexit negotiations, the truth is nothing will change until 2022 at least. Shipping costs are reasonable with the likes of UPS or DHL, and most times the seller will mention if he can ship abroad

I used to buy mass produced tat as well, and be on the look out for "mixed fibre / wool blend" which is usually Polyviscose (PV) with Teflon coating. Theres a company selling loads for around £155 on eBay.
    Kilted Technician!

Nomad is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post

Last week there was a Black Friday offer, when 150 years of Kinloch Anderson was celebrated, you got 15% off all their made to measure kilts. So I just couldn't resist to order this kilt:

https://www.kinlochanderson.com/shop...derson-breacan

It's a kilt with a lower waist for casual wear (and it can be made in my favourite tartan, MacMillan Black). That's exactly what I need, as I'm unlikely to attend any weddings any time soon. By now the price is back to 415 pounds.
    Good looking kilt and nice that you got it at a reduced price. I am sure you will be very happy wearing it when it arrives.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I complained to Brice about the kilt and sash and sent him the same photos that I had posted here. In his first mail he stated: „You are right in that it was made incorrectly and never should have looked like that.“

I'd rather say it's not even possible to make a good kilt out of that awful „tartan cloth“.
    He didn't admit that it was a Pakistani kilt and a mass product.

He also stated: „Also, the reason you saw so many good reviews is 99% of my kilts don't look like that. You can go to Amazon or my website and see the awesome reviews I get.“

I find it hard to believe that all the other 100$ kilts are so much better than the one that I got.

A few hours later he wrote another mail stating that I will get a refund.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Good looking kilt and nice that you got it at a reduced price. I am sure you will be very happy wearing it when it arrives.
    I bet it will be a wonderful kilt. Just that I won't have it in 12 weeks yet after all.
    This afternoon I received a mail from Kinloch Anderson stating:

„Unfortunately the mill have been in touch to inform us your cloth is out of stock at the moment, it is due back into stock the end of January. Are you happy to wait on the cloth or would you like to choose an alternate option? I do apologise about this obvious inconvenience.“

But I don't want any other tartan, so I will have to wait.
    Last edited by Dougal; 3rd December 18 at 04:25 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast