X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New York Tartan Day Parade

I will once again be marching in the New York City Tartan Day Parade with the Clan Buchanan. This year it actually falls on US Tartan Day. Saturday April 6, 2019. The parade steps off at 2:00 PM at the corner of 6th Ave and 45th Street.

Our group will be meeting for pre-parade libations and lunch at the Perfect Pint Pub, 123 West 45th Street, Manhattan at 12:00 Noon.
    Anyone who wishes to join us is very welcome.

The parade this year will be highlighted by Parade Marshall Billy Connolly and the attendance of 75 Up Helly Aa Vikings from Shetland.
    There will of course be dozens of pipes bands from the U.S., Canada, and Scotland.

This is a really enjoyable event each year.
    President, Clan Buchanan Society International

2. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to ctbuchanan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be marching with the St Andrews Society of Washington DC, as part of the Honor Guard, need people to take photos as we march by...let me know, watch for us.....I should be carrying either a rifle or US Coast Guard Flag....

CHEERS.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll keep an eye out for you while we are marching and if I see you in passing I'll try and get a photo.
    President, Clan Buchanan Society International

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ctbuchanan View Post
    I'll keep an eye out for you while we are marching and if I see you in passing I'll try and get a photo.
    Thank you, we do have a really nice Color Guard, and the PIPE Band will be with us....THANKS....
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Baring accidents I will see you there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be marching with Clan Wallace and my son will be bouncing around taking pictures. Will share a link when posted.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry guys and gals, had to cancel, work for US Customs and Border Patrol, duty called and I had to answer. I am so disappointed, but have to do what I have to do for work....Still watch form the St. Andrews Society of Washington DC Color Guard, please take photos, I am so disappointed away from home for many weeks due to issues on the border. CHEERS.

9. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to CollinMacD For This Useful Post:

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A word of warning

While in past years there has been no problem, New York City's laws on carrying a knife are very draconian. A knife carried on one's person must be 100% concealed. Even if you sgian dubh is completely inside your hose, if it makes a bulge, by law it is not 100% concealed. While actually parading is likely ok, but I would advise against wearing a dirk or sgian at any other time. I realized this is a weapons discussion outside the weapons forum, but I would hate to see a member get arrested because they had an encounter with a officer, who decided to escalate matters. I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice.
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Geoff Withnell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Withnell View Post
    While in past years there has been no problem, New York City's laws on carrying a knife are very draconian. A knife carried on one's person must be 100% concealed. Even if you sgian dubh is completely inside your hose, if it makes a bulge, by law it is not 100% concealed. While actually parading is likely ok, but I would advise against wearing a dirk or sgian at any other time. I realized this is a weapons discussion outside the weapons forum, but I would hate to see a member get arrested because they had an encounter with a officer, who decided to escalate matters. I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice.
    I have worn mine in and out of NYC too many times to count, I have never had an issue. I have even gone through NYPD checkpoints that are set up randomly at subway stations. From my personal experience NYPD generally leaves folks alone when kilted unless you are doing something else illegal.

I should note that most of the time I carry my sgian brew because I like the handle better. Although had I been off yesterday I would have gone in for the reading in Bryant Park and likely would have worn a sgian dhu.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to AFS1970 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Withnell View Post

My band does a number of parades in NYC and the surrounding suburbs - I have never seen anyone have any issues either in, around, after parades or when we are kilted up for any other private events, concerts, etc.

This is also most definitely not legal advice. It's my opinion. I think that in NYC, most cops would see you in a kilt and make the immediate connection. That said, all it takes is one cop who doesn't, and it becomes more trouble than worthwhile for you.

Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast