X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Color Question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Color Question

Good Morning everyone, I have a question for everyone, my wife wants me to wear this jacket with my kilt this weekend for a semi formal banquet, I was wondering what everybodys opinion is on this color. Thank you jacket.jpg

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Color and complexion

Quote Originally Posted by jmerchlinsky View Post
    I was wondering what everybodys opinion is on this color.
    My biggest consideration when it comes to color is whether the color works well with my complexion. And the biggest drawback is that my preferences won't necessarily go with your complexion.

Personally, I'd want something slightly darker and slightly more gray. But that's not necessarily the best advice for you.

Do you ever wear shirts that are that color? If so, how do those shirts look on you? If you look good in a shirt of that color, then you should look good in a jacket of that color.
    Trying to look good on a budget.

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Karl R For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [/QUOTE]Do you ever wear shirts that are that color? If so, how do those shirts look on you? If you look good in a shirt of that color, then you should look good in a jacket of that color.[/QUOTE]

I do wear shirts of that color, and I do look good in them, that is one of the reasons that my wife bought the jacket for me, but I wasn't sure how it would look with one of my kilts. Thank you for the advice.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends what semi formal means. Its either formal or its not. If the event is formal then the jacket won't do. If its a smart do------lounge/business suits, blazer, or even a sports jacket------- then the jacket illustrated will probably do, although I would suggest that a properly cut kilt jacket would be best in the long run.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 10th April 19 at 08:47 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

6. The Following 9 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    It depends what semi formal means. Its either formal or its not. If the event is formal then the jacket won't do. If its a smart do------lounge/business suits, blazer, or even a sports jacket------- then the jacket illustrated will probably do, although I would suggest that a properly cut kilt jacket would be best in the long run.
    It is a political banquet, and when I said semi formal, I mean people have been known to show in jeans and polo, not all but some, otherwise it is suits, blazers etch. I do have a kilt jacket that I can wear, it is convincing my wife, that the jacket might not work.... We live in central Pennsylvania and showing up wearing a kilt has more often than not gotten me some strange looks lol.. Thanks for the advice

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a political banquet, and when I said semi formal, I mean people have been known to show in jeans and polo, not all but some, otherwise it is suits, blazers etch. I do have a kilt jacket that I can wear, it is convincing my wife, that the jacket might not work.... We live in central Pennsylvania and showing up wearing a kilt has more often than not gotten me some strange looks lol.. Thanks for the advice
    Well OK, its suits and blazers------jeans and a polo too, perhaps------- so we are, in kilt terms, within the realms of a tweed kilt day jacket. If that is what you have, then go for it.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 10th April 19 at 09:08 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In that case I would definitely wear the kilt jacket. A jacket like the one pictured look sloppy with the kilt & do not show it to the best advantage.

11. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that a kilt jacket?

Since I could not see the bottom of the jacket in your photo, I assumed that the jacket was a kilt jacket. Is it a jacket cut for a kilt, or is it meant to be worn with slacks?

If the jacket was made to be worn with slacks, I would not wear it with a kilt. I found this article which shows a photo of the author wearing his kilt with a regular jacket, rather than a kilt jacket. To my eye, it looks over-sized, specifically because the length is wrong.
    Trying to look good on a budget.

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Karl R For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the advice.... I think will be the Kilt Jacket this weekend....

15. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to jmerchlinsky For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I'm late to the chat but here are my thoughts anyway. I think the color of the jacket posted is fine for a casual (less stressful than office hours) gathering. I might wear an equally pastel colored shirt (light green, pink, soft yellow are good examples) instead of a dark shirt and lighter colored tie. A dark tie (or even better, no tie) in one of the colors in your kilt.

If the jacket is a Saxon (regular suit coat instead of a kilt cut) I would forgo the jacket shown and maybe find a sweater vest in the same color. I think your wife may be pleased that you considered her tastes (color choice) and practical substitution.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast