X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Small Town Kilting

So I get in line at my little rural post office and up ahead a few places I see a big guy in a t-shirt and the back says something like Freedom is wearing a kilt. So I crane my neck and sure enough the guy is wearing a kilt - kind of unusual one - tartan with cargo pockets...maybe acetate type but STILL, a kilt in my little town.

And, dang, I'm NOT kilted...

Usually would try to hook up with him and at least say hello and awkwardly explain I normally am kilted...maybe he'd care.

But they way the line flowed he was gone before I was...and seemed uncool to shout anything.

Figure hey, if he is a local we'll run into each other sooner or later.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

2. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This year in my town of about 5000 I saw someone else kilted at Remembrance Day. I was wearing trousers, being in uniform of course, but incidentally we both wear the Maple Leaf tartan.
    “The convents which the fathers had destroyed...the sons, rebuilt…”
    —Hereward the Wake, ‘Of the Fens’

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McCracken140 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes me wonder how wearing a kilt would go over in my original hometown of a thousand souls in the middle of nowhere West Virginia.

Being that nearly everyone in town is of English, Scots, and Irish ancestry it might be accepted, who can say.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other morning as I was on my way to work, it was -20° C I was on the TTC our subway system I saw a guy wearing a Royal Stewart tartan kilt. I wanted to say something to him, but in the end did not. As I was dressed for a dirty job I was not wearing a kilt myself and came away thinking I should be wearing a kilt and kind of feeling bad for him at the temperature but think I did the right thing in the end.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    The other morning as I was on my way to work, it was -20° C I was on the TTC our subway system I saw a guy wearing a Royal Stewart tartan kilt. I wanted to say something to him, but in the end did not. As I was dressed for a dirty job I was not wearing a kilt myself and came away thinking I should be wearing a kilt and kind of feeling bad for him at the temperature but think I did the right thing in the end.
    I had to run to the bank the other day at lunch; it was one of the coldest days we've had this winter (about -15C with feels like of -25C) and I saw a guy walking down the street in a great kilt. As I was driving I just gave a wave but outside of historic sites, hotels in the summer or military/highland specific events, this is the first time I recall seeing someone wearing a kilt around the city.

Shane