X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool First USA Kilt - 5yd Inverness Anc.

Hello!

Here's my first experience with a USA Kilt. For reference, the only other kilt I've owned is a cheap acrylic kilt.

First off, I've been ordering accessories from them exclusively for my acrylic kilt fit, and the experience has always been stellar. I finally had the dosh to go for a 5yarder I've been wanting from them - Inverness District Ancient. I ordered on like New Year's Day and it arrived this Friday - a lot sooner than I was expecting!

It was packaged nicely with the kilt hanger and other stuff I ordered, and thankfully plastic wrapped as the postal worker dropped it off right on the snow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rTgZT52.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	310.0 KB 
ID:	39818

Attached is myself in bootless Lovat Green hose, with my sweet daughter, Aristotle.

The insert said that it was made by Morgan. Thank you, Morgan!

It's much heavier than my first kilt, it being 16oz wool and ~5 yards of kilt. It feels really nice to wear. My acrylikilt was a tad long due to an error on my part in measurement and a lack of guidance on their website, so having a properly measured kilt this go around feels like a luxury. The lining is quite nice, the leather is sturdy and supple (I love the embossing!), and all in all it looks very smart. Instant compliments from the in-laws. I know it's rather unfair to compare it to the cheapo acrylikilt, but what I'm getting at is below:

When I got my first kilt, I would recommend people go to USAK on gut feeling, despite not having ordered a kilt from them. I read the acrylic kilt's reviews right after impulse ordering, and I was already feeling a twinge of regret. I knew USA Kilts were of a higher standard based on my experiences buying accessories and customer reviews, and hey - made in the States! I can now confidently tell people of my experience. Really stoked to have this kilt and to know for sure that USAK's got it going on. Y'all have my continued recommendations, and in the meantime, yes I am already saving for the next one.

Cheers!

2. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to toohalloo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! That's a great tartan.

My USAK 5-Yard is my most-worn kilt. I think it's a fantastic value, and quite practical for daily wear. That said, it's also pretty easy to dress up - no one's going to notice that it's "just a 5-yard." I think I should like to get a few more, but my wallet thinks otherwise...
    Last edited by KennethSime; 25th February 21 at 07:47 PM.

4. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to KennethSime For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great! Congrats on taking the step of getting a more traditional wool kilt.

I really like the Inverness tartan.

My favourite kilts for look, durability, feel, and comfort are 16oz wool kilts with 5 to 6 yards.

I recently got a USA Kilts 5-yard kilt, but I paid the extra for 6 yards, which is my preference. (I'm a big person and I need the extra yard!)

Heavyweight tartan tweed from Marton Mills, I love it.

I really like how they approached the pleating. Hunting Stewart is an asymmetrical tartan with an enormous sett size and I'm told is challenging to pleat. (The sett size is too big to repeat the same part of the sett in every pleat.) USA Kilts did a super job.

Last edited by OC Richard; 7th March 21 at 02:04 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good look. I didn't order from USA Kilts for about a year - I figured all the praise was just hype. Finally relented and tried one. Now I've owned 2 five yard wool, 13 Semi Trads, and 16 Casuals.

31 total...beware the addiction...
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

8. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome kilt! I can tell from my casual kilt from USA Kilts that they do great work. It can only be so much the better in wool. The tartan looks great too!

Dave

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have lived in Inverness-shire, for most of my fairly long life life and I have to confess that I did not know that there is an Inverness District tartan! What is more, I cannot recall ever noticing it being worn or placed(carpets, lamp shades, etc.) anywhere locally-----------------even if I didn't know what it was!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 5th March 21 at 07:03 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good! I have really come to like red tartans.

Also, good work on height. So many people wear their kilts too low. I think you have the perfect amount of knee showing.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I have lived in Inverness-shire, for most of my fairly long life life and I have to confess that I did not know that there is an Inverness District tartan!
    It's one of the older District Tartans. Peter I'm sure has better information, but the book District Tartans has this to say about it:

"The Inverness tartan was woven for Augustus, the Earl of Inverness, sometime before 1822.

It was the first tartan to be reproduced as a colour illustration in a book on tartans.

...sometimes called The Burgh of Inverness tartan."
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    It's one of the older District Tartans. Peter I'm sure has better information, but the book District Tartans has this to say about it:

"The Inverness tartan was woven for Augustus, the Earl of Inverness, sometime before 1822.

It was the first tartan to be reproduced as a colour illustration in a book on tartans.

...sometimes called The Burgh of Inverness tartan."
    Thank you OCR. It just goes to show that I will be never be too old to stop learning.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

16. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do they compare?

Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    Good look. I didn't order from USA Kilts for about a year - I figured all the praise was just hype. Finally relented and tried one. Now I've owned 2 five yard wool, 13 Semi Trads, and 16 Casuals.

31 total...beware the addiction...
    Besides the obvious different prices, how do they compare (i.e. 5 yard wool vs semi trad vs casual)? do you have them for specific events or do you rotate depending on "feeling"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast