X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's fascinating.

I had read that Scottish settlers in places like North Carolina, loyalists, fled to Canada.

It's valuable to have an eyewitness account of a Scottish Loyalist settlement, though sad to hear what happened to it.

My grandmother told me stories of two Scottish settlements in Appalachia, in West Virginia, that existed when she was a young girl around 1910.

She said that an entire coalmining village in Scotland had immigrated not long before, but here had been split between two coal towns.

My grandmother said that every Sunday afternoon all the Scots from one village would process to the other, led by pipers, walking along the train tracks. (This is what people did before there were roads.)

As I recall she said they alternated which village the gathering would take place at.

Sadly all of the Scots moved on to some other place. (My grandmother herself was a first generation American, of an extended Cornish mining family that arrived in Appalachia in the 1880s.)
    Last edited by OC Richard; 5th January 23 at 08:36 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post: