X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m not a big fan of cummerbunds in general. Just my personal taste. Or maybe my body shape.

The comment on wearing a belt with a silver buckle reminds me that I’ve read that it’s recommended not to wear a kilt belt with a vest. So, if I’m not wearing the vest, a kilt belt with the PC should be less frowned upon? Not that anyone in the pub will care . . .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobF View Post
    I’m not a big fan of cummerbunds in general. Just my personal taste. Or maybe my body shape.

The comment on wearing a belt with a silver buckle reminds me that I’ve read that it’s recommended not to wear a kilt belt with a vest. So, if I’m not wearing the vest, a kilt belt with the PC should be less frowned upon? Not that anyone in the pub will care . . .
    Belts are fine without a vest and often rather attractive, but not necessary.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've worn my Prince Charlie with waistcoat and without, both looks are fine.

As was suggested above I did wear a bow tie with either look, and when not wearing a waistcoat I wore a belt.

I wouldn't worry too much about matching fabrics- in my experience proper UK Barathea generally matches well enough.

I will note that the black "Barathea" waistcoats that our band members purchased from J Higgins weren't a true black and didn't match in well with our UK-made jackets.

I did have to alter a Prince Charlie style waistcoat I bought ex-hire on Ebay; though not listed as "long" it was.

Happily the arm-holes were long ovals so all the tailor needed to do was to take in the shoulder seams a couple inches.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About Prince Charlies sans waistcoats worn with long ties yes it was a popular Pipe Band look in the 1980s.

Up until around 1980 most Pipe Bands either wore military-style Full Dress (doublet, long plaid, horsehair sporran, feather bonnet, spats) or civilian Evening Dress (Regulation doublet or Prince Charlie, bow tie, belted plaid, Evening sporran, full tartan hose, buckled brogues) but that that time bands began experimenting with simpler, more comfortable outfits.

Odd hybrid looks were seen such as Prince Charlie + Glengarry + long tie + brown Day sporran + hand-knit Arran hose + Ghillie brogues, and almost any combination of Evening and Day dress imaginable.

Here's a band showing that sort of thing

Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12