X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Bryan/College Station, Republic of Texas, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 8 yard tank by Wanda McSwain in my personal family tartan. Thanks to Wanda and Matt Newsome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See the background on my Avatar? God awful in real life. I will have to get one eventually but I'm not in a rush to order. :rolleyes:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neo71665
    Argggggg, I wish I woulda checked back here before I got the blackwatch kilt. I've seen the cumming modern and wasn't that big of a fan of it (I don't like the color red) but really really like the hunting version.
    That's been up there for a bit. Maybe it can be the next one if Matt hasn't sold it by than

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own a traditional Drummond tartan (a.k.a. Grant), but I would like to have a Cumming tartan (either red or hunting) because of my connections to the Comyn of Badenoch. I also like the Badenoch district tartan, but that is the Macpherson hunting tartan, so I probably won't ever have one of those.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only have one kilt (being a beginner) and that is a Black Watch kilt. I just love the colors. I also have one in the works and that is a plain khaki one but that isn't finished yet.
    My tartan is MacGregor and I will get one of those eventually.

That doesn't mean that I don't wear a family tartan from time to time...my wife occasionally makes me wear a Robertson (her clan) tie to church :rolleyes:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    I have a 8 yard tank by Wanda McSwain in my personal family tartan. Thanks to Wanda and Matt Newsome.
    W. McSwain does great work.
    Clan Lamont!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilts in Clan Donnachaidh (Robertson) tartans

My first kilt, purchased by my then wife for our first Christmas together, was 6 yards of double-width Mod. Hunting Robertson in a relatively lightweight wool (11 oz.) That was the only kilt I had for about 4 years.

Next was a 7 yard Strome weight tank, in the same tartan, that I picked up at a very reasonable price on ebay. It had been made earlier that year (March of 2003), and still had the original basting stitches in the pleats. Locharron kilts.

When I was losing weight from chemo a couple years ago, I got on-line with a local (Montana) retail highland supplier, and located a 4-yard casual in about 13 oz. wool in the Modern Red Robertson. Also made by Locharron, it's my favorite lighter-weight kilt for summertime.

Last year, I bought a "tank" in the Modern Red Rob'tson from an estate sale, and got a piper's plaid to go along with it. The kilt's too big for me (at the moment, anyway), and since I have "enough" (GASP! SHUDDER!-- The Sacrilege!) kilts for the moment, I think that maybe I'll leave that one alone instead of messing with a serious alter(c)ation.

Can't say I'm that fond of the Ancient Red Robertson, so probably won't get a kilt in that. However, I really like the Anc. Hunting Robertson, so I may marshal my fiscal resources, and talk to Matt Newsome. I'm also quite fond of the Weathered, and that's the other option for a box-pleated number.

One of my brothers received a Mod. Hunting Robertson that I found for nae-sae-dear a price on the internet, which was a shade too small for me then. The other brother received a kilt in the Duncan tartan for his birthday last year, but was talking about hanging it ON THE WALL! I haven't had the opportunity to check with him about that, but will insist that he have it such that he can take it down and wear it, in the likely event that I ask him to do so.

Thanks for asking the question!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Yes, I think my U.S. Army Special Forces tartan kilt qualifies. My old team sergeant and I, along with Linda Clifford, developed the tartan and had it registered with the Tartan Authority. He and I are the only two that own a kilt made from the tartan.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910