X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

ozarkjacobite is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Correct Patterns

To anyone who can help,

I'm currently getting out of Civil War living history & switching to the '45. I'm on the lookout for period correct patterns for a jacket & waistcoat. I have plenty of muslin & woolen shirts that will work fine & my belted plaid is in the works, but the top half of my body seems to be where I stand & scratch me head. Any advice would be great.

Zach Caselman
    "The Ozark Jacobite"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are great patterns. Just make the garments shorter (waist length) to be Highland style...!

Coat:
    http://jas-townsend.com/product_info...roducts_id=416

Waistcoat:
    http://jas-townsend.com/product_info...roducts_id=417

If you're going to portray a common "rank and file" highlander, as opposed to a "clan gentleman," you only need the second pattern, as a short sleeved waistcoat makes a great highlander's jacket.

BTW, I did Civil War for over 25 years. Plenty of time to reach the "burn-out" point...!
    Brian

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll second Brian's recommendation. I own each of those patterns, in size 42, i wear a size 42 and the resulting waistcoat fits perfectly. I'm still in the process of making a jacket with the jacket pattern, but i expect it will fit the same.

This waistcoat i made was the first time i've ever sewn anything... so i'll be making another one in the near future to fix all the mistakes i made with the first, but the patterns are easy to follow, even for someone who's apt to stitch his own fingers to the cloth.

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if people realize that the Scottish Tartans Museum also carries historic clothing patterns, though mostly for periods earlier than you are looking for.
    http://giftshop.scottishtartans.org/patterns.htm

ozarkjacobite is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. Woodsheal, I was actually considering "mid-rank". As far as weapons, equipment, & even clothing quality, what would you recommend. I also need to know what facial hair styles, if any, would be common in the middle ranks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In that time period, for the most part, clean shaven was the typical look, and any facial hair was the exception to the rule. The actual 'clothing' of a midranker and a front ranker would be similar, however the midranker's equipment would be made from less expensive materials. This would be most noticable in the dyes used / tartan colors (imported reds and blues were more expensive than greens and browns of locally grown plant dyes), buttons would be bone, wooden, and possibly pewter or brass. The jacket may or may not be tartan, plain dyed wool would have been common in a mid ranker.

The quality of arms would certainly be less than a front ranker, The targe wouldnt be fancy if they had one, and you'd not expect a midranker to have their own musket, let alone a brace of pistols, but some did have older worn guns of some type. A simple style basket hilt and dirk would be expected however, as a fighting man was equated with a sword still, reguardless of rank. Midrankers would have their own haversack, canteen, etc on campaign, whereas a front ranker would likely have an assistant to carry those for them. On campaign a midranker would most often be issued a musket for use, either issued military issue captured from the brittish, or shipped in from continental europe, most likely france.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my article on 1745 impressions (which I'm pretty sure Justin has read! ):

http://www.1745rising.org/articleimpression.html
    Brian

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsheal View Post
    Here's my article on 1745 impressions (which I'm pretty sure Justin has read! ):

thanks for the link; an excellent discussion
    May you find joy in the wee, ken the universe in the peculiar and capture peace in the compass of drop of dew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsheal View Post

Ah yes, I read that earlier this summer and couldn't remember where i found it ! I'd have just linked to it if i knew where i had read it =) Most excellent article, and now in my bookmarks =)