X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tartan tat fines...finally

a wee news snippet i saw earlier http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-fife-12205976
    and about time too ith:

Fine over 'Made in Scotland' tags
    The owners of a number of tartan souvenir shops have been fined £4,500 for selling Chinese-made cashmere clothes with "Made in Scotland" labels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's good to see them go after fraudulent shops. Hope they keep up the pressure and make them change their ways or put them out of business.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Gold Brothers, aka the Singh Brothers,as i mentioned in an earlier post. Have bought up half the shops in Edinburgh...........eg Heritage of Scotland, The Scotland Shop direct
    this confirms what everybody else already knew

this is an one of various reports from The Scotsman newspaper
    http://heritage.scotsman.com/kilts/3...-up.3855161.jp

but again i have bought from H,o,S and been more than satisfied
    Last edited by ANCIENT OGILVIE HUNTING; 17th January 11 at 10:39 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ANCIENT OGILVIE HUNTING View Post
    The Gold Brothers, aka the Singh Brothers,as i mentioned in an earlier post. Have bought up half the shops in Edinburgh...........eg Heritage of Scotland, The Scotland Shop direct
    this confirms what everybody else already knew
    i was over Edinburgh on saturday (finally got on the new Glasgow to Edinburgh train line) visiting some friends up from down Sheffield and the first thing they said to me when i met them at the royal mile was.. ..."where's all the scottish folk ?.....dont they work in the Scottish tourist shops?" kinda sums it up really

Mike_Oettle is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    High time they took action on wrongly labelled goods.
    But that is not to say they should ban foreign-made kilts, or any other clothing.
    I am all for the kilt’s being made affordable. This is why my first kilt is being made in Cape Town in 13oz PV, made in South Africa.
    If an entrepreneur can offer cheap kilts for sale in Edinburgh (or anywhere else in Scotland), he is welcome to do so as far as I am concerned.
    But there must be honesty in the labelling, and transparency as far as quality is concerned.
    And there will always be a demand for a properly made woollen kilt in 16oz.
    Regards,
    Mike
    The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.
    [Proverbs 14:27]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm... not too sure about this...

I suspect that there may have been more to it than was reported in the papers, but on the face of it it seems like (1) the sweaters were marked as "Made in China" and that they were on a shelf that was labeled "Made in Scotland". Now as I understand it the items previously on the shelf were made in Scotland, but that label was not removed when different products (ie: the sweaters) were placed on the shelf.

As a result of this inadvertent mis-labeling of the shelf (to which Gold Brothers plead guilty) they were fined a shed load of money.

Here's what bothers me. Suppose for a moment that the "Made in Scotland" shelf was in a sweet shop, and had previously been loaded down with Edinburgh Rock (a locally made candy). A shop employee rearranges the shelves, moves the Edinburgh Rock to another location and replaces it with Toberlone chocolate, which is made in Switzerland. In so doing the employee fails to remove the "Made in Scotland" sign from the edge of the shelf.

Looking at the Toberlone chocolate, the package is marked "Made in Switzerland", so it is clearly not "Made in Scotland". But does the fact that it is inadvertently on a shelf with a "Made in Scotland" sticker on its edge really suggest that Mr. McTavish, the shop owner, should be subject to a nearly five thousand pound fine? I tend to think not, which is why I am not sure why Gold Brothers got hit with such a whopper under similar circumstances.

Like I said, there must be more to this than what was in the papers.