X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by puffer View Post
    I resemble that Think about my "name"

PUFFER
    Hey, I'm a pipe smoker myself so I'm with you!

And that is a beautiful blade you have there. Can I ask where you picked it up?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which tartan is that blade lying on, might I ask?

And as for me, I don't wear a sgian. Mainly because I don't have one (Christmas, maybe?). Whenever I do obtain one, I likely won't wear it most of the time, and keep it reserved for dressing up for events.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike in Dayton View Post
    Does anyone make a flashlight that looks like a sgian dubh at the handle? High intensity LEDs make that a possibility today. There are times where that may be more useful than a knife. It would be one solution to the situation where a blade is not permitted. You would still have the look of a sgain dubh when in the hose.
    That is a fantastic idea, I think. I'd love to see that.

puffer is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO, a "GOOD" RECAP

Do I wear a "knife"(note, I did NOT say sqians dubh) in my "hose top" ??
    I do not own what is "normally" called a "sqians dubh" Instead I carry blades that are IMHO,"more usable"Here is a picture of the one I carry most often A "skinner" with a "FIRE ETCHED" blade & a "curly maple handle"

It depends on the "occasion"
    1. "Formal" = My "few" formal occasions are "period", so I wear a "stag hilt"
    2. "Business" = Never
    3. "Church" = Never (not because of "religious" leanings, just no reason to)
    4. "Night Out" = Depends on the situation & the "attire" (if wearing a "dressy Jacket, vest & tie, then seldom. If wearing a "tweed jacket,vest & tie,then ? is who, what & where. (note, if "carrying" then the knife pictured above (or one sim.)- subdued".
    5. "Daily Wear" = Again, I let the "occation" dictate, but ALWAYS a "sudued handle"

Puffer
    IMPORTANT NOTE - OOOPS. When I posted this picture, I posted that this knife had a "DAMASCUS" Blade. IT DOES NOT
    It DOES NOT !! The knife pictured has a "FIRE ETCHED" blade I had this pictured stored under the "wrong Title" This knife is "identical" in looks to My Damascus Blade" but a "ALOT LESS $$$$" When my camera gets functioning, I will post the "Damascus" blade. (yes this knife is also mine)

Puffer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I've put my sgian don't on hold until I have a little more information. Although, I might look into using ceramics as a construction material.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

puffer is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetcar View Post
    Hey, I'm a pipe smoker myself so I'm with you!

And that is a beautiful blade you have there. Can I ask where you picked it up?
    Streetcar, Please see my OOOPs post.

But if you are interested in the "fire etched" version shown, They are very readly accesable & inexpensive ($30.00-35.00) ( note the "Bird's Beak" handle, you may have to do some searching for, as none of the sites below show it.
    http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(wuu...Size=10&Page=2
    http://www.mountaintoptradingco.com/index2.htm
    http://www.crazycrow.com/Merchant2/m...oduct_Count=54

Here is an event that, if you are kooking for knves, I suggest you attend. Note both my BP/ML club (GRMM) & the TMA, will have boothes there & I will be there the entire time & KILTED at least most of the time.) MAR.8 & 9 http://www.wamuzzleloaders.org/events/rendezvous.htm#

As to a Damascus Blade, Mine was given to me sseveral years ago, by a knife maker, who has since retired. As to might make you one ???, but it would be more $

Puffer
    Last edited by puffer; 28th November 08 at 12:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not all "Sgians" are Dubh

Quote Originally Posted by arrg-isle View Post
    The following excerpt is from a history of Clan Forbes (not my clan, but I'm well acquainted therein), and contains the earliest dated reference I could find on the use of blades specifically referred to and carried as skeans (sgians) -
    "The burning of Corgarf had an equally dire sequel: a meeting for reconciliation took place between a select number of the heads of the two houses in Lord Forbes’ castle of Druminor. The guests arrived, and both parties sat down to feast. Afterward, Huntly said to his host, 'As our business is settled, tell me, had it not been so, what your intent was to have done.' The Forbes chief replied, 'There was to be bloody, bloody work, and we would have had the best of it. See, we are mixed one and one, Forbeses and Gordons; had I but given sign by stroking my beard, every Forbes would have drawn his skean from under arm, and stabbed to the heart the man to his right.' As he spoke, Forbes suited the sign to the word, and stroked down his flowing beard. Instantly, a score of skeans were out, flashing in the light of the pine torches, and were swiftly buried in as many hearts; for the Forbeses had mistaken this gesture for the signal to attack, and knifed to death the unsuspecting Gordons. The chiefs stared at each other in silent shock; at length Forbes said, 'This is a tragedy not expected, but cannot be undone, and the blood that floods the floor of Druminor will just help to slocken the auld fire of Corgarf.'
    Years later, in 1592, after the Earl of Huntly murdered the Bonnie Earl of Moray at Dunnibristle, Lord Forbes, who had been Moray’s friend, marched with the slain man’s bloody shirt on a spear’s head through his territories, inciting his followers to march in revenge against the Gordons."
    Well, as stirring as the above passage is, it only refers to knives-- sgian (or "skean" as used here) is the Gaelic word for "knife", a common tool used at feasts, and often (along with a spoon or fork) brought to the banquet by the guests to relieve the host of the burden of providing same.

While in our imagination we may assume the above Victorian word picture invokes the use of the sgian dubh, the reality is that the events so described took place long before the wearing of the sgian dubh became common in Scotland.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm complete without a sgian dubh, but can anyone tell me how to stop me shillelagh from falling out of me sock?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do happen to have a shillelagh that my mother brought back to the States after living in Ireland for a while. Don't know if it's a proper eveningwear shillelagh, though.
    I'm wondering how wide the handle and the blade of a sgian dubh is? I think I have all the other measurements.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Callaghan View Post
    I'm complete without a sgian dubh, but can anyone tell me how to stop me shillelagh from falling out of me sock?
    Stick it deep in your sock. I keep mine near the door hanging from its cord. SO, you could also use the cord to keep it on you.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast