X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have only been playing for about two years now, and what draws me to the instrument musically is the emotion the instrument. Whether I am playing for St. Patrick's day and bring out the happiness with a lively tune like Minstrel Boy, or playing on 9/11 and doing a slow air to bring to mind all the people that lost their lives that day. Now mind you that you could play the same songs on any instruments it doesn't seem to bring the same power.

As for musically, when the whole band strikes in just before the chanters kick in it is a sound like no other. When the whole band is in a circle opening for a larger act (Rod Stewart, or Coldstream) and the whole band hits a grip or a D-throw perfectly the sound is amazing something I can't explain, but just amazing. When I practice and I hit that song perfectly it makes me realize all the work I put in was worth it.

Yes there are only nine notes, but there is a reason it takes a lot of time on the chanter to play the pipes well. I don't know if you have ever asked Piper George to see some sheet music for the pipes, but if not I truly recommend it. It will probably interest you with all of your musical background.

As has already been stated if your heart and mind isn't in it no one is going to convince you to start. It is truly an amazing instrument.

highlander_Daz is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    because the instrument has a limited range its a big challange to make it exciting. if you want to see just what an amzing instrument it can be just re watch this clip of Gordon Walker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmJUBiTk6bw

and tell me thats amazing

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (OCONCAN)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see where you're coming from, Alan. I've had my pipes for about two years, and have played piano, bass guitar and guitar in my youth, so I have that to compare it to. The pipes are, in some ways, limited when compared to other instruments, especially the clarinet. When I decided to get back into playing music about three years ago, I gave some serious thought about whether to take up the piano again or learn the pipes from scratch. I didn't know whether I would be up to the task of learning how to deal with such a finicky instrument (and I mean that in a respectful way). Now that I'm in the middle of this process, I'm extremely glad that I chose to take up the pipes. Part of it is a cultural thing. It feels so good to actually play this thing that I've loved the sound of since I was little. It nearly brings my dad to tears. Heck, when the thing is humming perfectly, there's no way to describe the feeling, the pulsing of the sound; it's enveloping. When you're with a band, it's magnified. I can forsee a time when I will be able to concentrate more on the musicality of the instrument, and I look forward to that.
    It sure takes a lot of practice, though. I can't see how I'd have the time to practice anything else, so I don't see that becoming competent on multiple instruments is in the cards for me. Anyway, that's enough of my rambling.
    It's a good thing that we all don't want to play the same instrument!
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I played the piano in Carnegie Hall when I was 13. I've also studied cello, organ, and voice. And no instrument has fascinated me as much as the great Highland bagpipes.

They are, hands down, the most complex instrument and the hardest to master than any I've yet met.

And if you're asking the question, then maybe they're not for you.

But if you want to learn them, be prepared to devote a lot of time and energy to them. You won't learn them casually. They need a lot of attention. Both you lessons, you practicing, and you pipe maintenance.

Julie

highlander_Daz is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to be honest if you take a disciplined structured approach, the instrument is a challange not impossible, the key to learning is not to move on to the next stage until you have mastered the one you are at. it takes a lot of discipline to keep going up and down a scale until its smoothh, no crossing notes and a seamless switcth from bottom hand to top. then each doubling has to be spot on. a lot of people make the mistake of assuming they know a doubling when they can perform it from low A, which of course they dont as hey have to be performed from each melody note, its not like a guitar where you can bang out a couple of tunes within a few hours, if you learn something not quite right on the pipes, then it undermines everything else you learn after that. a lot of people are not prepared to travel th e pipers journey.
    good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alan-

I don't think it would be worth it to you to learn the pipes. This is not meant to be offensive, any more than your questions are meant to be.

Think of it this way. Some guitarists start playing the blues. And never play anything else. Ever. They might play only a few chords (look how much Mississippi John Hurt can do with only one chord in Spikedriver's Blues, for example). They might never want to play in more than one or two keys. That's the music that makes them tick. Some guitarists play Bluegrass and are totally fulfilled just using chords and a few runs in the keys of G and D. Sometimes C or A. It isn't a matter of breadth, but of depth. A narrow range of music that goes deep is the best way I can explain it.

In piping, I like marches and I like airs. I also am starting to enjoy piobaireachd, but I still don't really like to listen to it. Only to play it.

You play a wide range of music, with a huge variety. You probably get all the depth you want. And it isn't likely as deep as what most pipers find when they start to dig. No offense meant, just that you can either spend your time going across the idioms or deep into one. You can be fluent in several (many pipers also play another instrument - my teacher has played cello, accordion, concertina, and guitar, but now plays only pipes) but it is hard to be really deeply rooted in more than one idiom. Most people who speak fluently in several languages are only capable of writing meaningful poetry in one.

I'm trying to use illustrations to explain what I can't adequately put into words, here. In the end, it is all about what instrument really grabs you at the level of your soul. For me, it is the bagpipes. For most dedicated pipers it is the same. If the pipes don't get you deep inside, you shouldn't really bother with them. You need a different instrument, then.

And if you have to ask what is special about the bagpipes, well, they are not for you. Simple as that. Sort of like me and the electric guitar. Can't understand what anyone sees in such a noisy beast. ;-)

-Patrick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Woolery View Post
    Alan-

I don't think it would be worth it to you to learn the pipes. This is not meant to be offensive, any more than your questions are meant to be.

Think of it this way. Some guitarists start playing the blues. And never play anything else. Ever. They might play only a few chords (look how much Mississippi John Hurt can do with only one chord in Spikedriver's Blues, for example). They might never want to play in more than one or two keys. That's the music that makes them tick. Some guitarists play Bluegrass and are totally fulfilled just using chords and a few runs in the keys of G and D. Sometimes C or A. It isn't a matter of breadth, but of depth. A narrow range of music that goes deep is the best way I can explain it.

In piping, I like marches and I like airs. I also am starting to enjoy piobaireachd, but I still don't really like to listen to it. Only to play it.

You play a wide range of music, with a huge variety. You probably get all the depth you want. And it isn't likely as deep as what most pipers find when they start to dig. No offense meant, just that you can either spend your time going across the idioms or deep into one. You can be fluent in several (many pipers also play another instrument - my teacher has played cello, accordion, concertina, and guitar, but now plays only pipes) but it is hard to be really deeply rooted in more than one idiom. Most people who speak fluently in several languages are only capable of writing meaningful poetry in one.

I'm trying to use illustrations to explain what I can't adequately put into words, here. In the end, it is all about what instrument really grabs you at the level of your soul. For me, it is the bagpipes. For most dedicated pipers it is the same. If the pipes don't get you deep inside, you shouldn't really bother with them. You need a different instrument, then.

And if you have to ask what is special about the bagpipes, well, they are not for you. Simple as that. Sort of like me and the electric guitar. Can't understand what anyone sees in such a noisy beast. ;-)

-Patrick
    Well, I beg to disagree with some of what you've said, like for example nobody can get truly deep into more than one style or history of playing, but aside from that, I see your point.

"
    And if you have to ask what is special about the bagpipes, well, they are not for you. "

NOt a problem! There's nothing on earth, NOTHING like the sound of massed pipes and drums. NOTHING....it's magical, it's intense and it's an amazing, amazing sound. Oh, that's special, all right!

"If the pipes don't get you deep inside, you shouldn't really bother with them."

I DO think you're most likely spot-on with this point. While I like them, I know they're not my voice, they would be a fun thing, another instrument in the armory so to speak. But it's probably not worth the immense amount of work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I didn't say "nobody can get truly deep into more than one style of history of playing." What I did say was "it is hard to be really deeply rooted in more than one idiom." I would go on to say that most people who really do become deeply rooted in one musical idiom (note: MOST, not all) don't delve as deeply into others. There's often (note: not always) only one type of music that gets people so deep down that they absolutely have to make that sound and can't really be happy musically if they can't make it.

For the really good pipers, bagpipes are that sound. Some people love the light music, some love all bagpipe music, and some discover piobaireachd and never want to play anything else. And that's okay. In a way, it is like how some people discover one sport and never want to play another. Ever. Or how some people get into Yoga and it dominates their lives forever. Bagpipes are like that, but without the asanas. For the really hardcore players. Not for all.

There's more music in the world than any one person can fruitfully explore in a whole lifetime. I'm content digging a hole in the piping possibilities and banging around on a banjo. Others need to plow through several instruments and many musical genres. And it is all okay.

But it was actually a wonderful question. It has had me thinking about why I am content with nine notes. And anything that gets us thinking about our music will only help us to grow musically.

-Patrick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, there was a really practical consideration. The pipes are super portable and sound well equally in solo or band performance. My pipes traveled with me to Iraq. Pretty easy to disassemble, put them into PVC tubes. I'm sure there are other instruments that are as portable, but none that have the draw of the pipes.
    I'm a well rounded guy - English motorcycles, Irish brew, and Scottish clothes and music.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me it's the drones. They are like a big old engine roaring away in my ear. I love modal music and bagpipes are just about as modal as you can get. It is the constancy of the sound which makes it satisfying to me, not unlike Indian ragas, chanting, or any other aboriginal music forms found the world over. It is meditative and focusing especially when playing ṕobaireachd which is incredibly expressive.
    This droning effect is found repeatedly in many forms of music (for which I'm very glad). Bach used it his organ fugues, Kraftwerks Autoban is twenty two minutes of three notes, and remember the music in the final scene of Crocodile Dundee when they are in the subway. Oh and let's not forget Ravel's Bolero.
    Of course this is a very simplistic view of some heavy duty musicology but it's what does it for me. Once the pipes are playing well and everything settles into place, I get in the zone and just go away, I first heard the pipes as a young boy and it triggered something deep in me that has not gone away.
    I'm not going to give any advice as to whether you should play them or not. Only you can decide that but if they move you and I mean really MOVE you, you ought to give them a fair shot.
    Bob

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast