X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a regular commercialy produced black seal skin with pewter cantle for evening wear. My go to sporran is actually a hybrid of these two from L&M highland wear it is the brown osgar but with the black faux ostrich centre which works very well up to evening wear but I wouldn’t wear it for black tie. The bran one I think might just be able to do black tie in a pinch.
    What do others think?
    Slainte David
    https://www.landmhighland.ca/product...nting-sporran/
    https://www.landmhighland.ca/product...nting-sporran/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I recently Aquired an MOD cantle and had it rebagged with a dark brown bag, which I feel spans casual up to reasonably formal. It's a shame you're in America, as you can, as I did, pick up a 2nd hand 1980s - 2000 sealskin with chrome cantle for £60 quite regularly on eBay, which means for a relatively small sum (compared to a quality rebag) you can keep that in the drawer for more formal events.

I'm less of a traditionalist than some, so as far as I'm concerned a nicely polished and rebagged MOD sporran looks as good as a fur sporran and anyone who knows how much they cost would likely overlook the fur requirement. I will agree with what others say regarding silver cantles, best left for more formal events.

just my opinion, worth little, but it's still mine ��
    Thanks Nomad. Yes, I came across your and another thread of re-bagged MoD cantles, and they are very fine items and what inspired me to pursue this route. What I gather so far is that, will it be traditional to wear it in black tie attire? Probably not, but like you said, the cost a presentation will probably make it pass muster in the lower end of formal events I think. We'll find out if I ever find myself attending a black tie affair I guess.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Manu For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little update on my quest. After reading your input, giving it a lot of thought, and looking at hundreds of pictures for inspiration, I came to the conclusion that, it was indeed a futile quest to commission a sporran that'll cover the entire spectrum I set out to cover. So, after careful thought and consideration and talking back and forth with Donnie at Wyvern, I have decided to commission a dark brown sporran with metal cantle. The bag will be designed along the same lines of the re-bagged MoD cantle sporrans that so many of our members own. After seeing pictures of McMurdo, Tobus, as well as Prince Charles and many other wearing that style of sporran in dark brown leather, I figured it'll cover me for up the dressiest of occasions before arriving at black tie. If I ever find myself attending a black tie event, I will have to acquire something in the formal range. Until then , this new piece will serve me well. Sadly, I was not able to get my hands on an MoD cantle, as communication with the source ceased (on his part, not mine), so Donnie will source a cantle elsewhere. Thank you all for the input, and I will be sure to post pictures when the sporran arrives. Cheers!

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Manu For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    As a matter of fact, I have one being made right now with one of my MoD cantles mounted on a goat hair bag.
    Tobus, I am anxiously waiting to see a photo of the results--sounds great!

Six
    “Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt”—Mark Twain

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Delta Six For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Final Update

At last my project was completed. I am very excited to strap this fine piece of work around my waist. I think Donnie did a great job creating this work of art. Now, I debated white metal vs brass extensively before reaching out to Donnie, but in the end I was left with no choice but the pewter option. The knotwork is polished, but I look forward to it aging becoming more dull with use. Overall, personally I think it looks great and it should cover me up the most formal of day wear. I'll wear it proudly. Here's a pic of the final product. It'll be making its debut in December along with my County Cavan tank after I get back home. Cheers all!
    IMG_20181015_125930398_resized_1.jpg

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Manu For This Useful Post:

Nomad is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a good looking sporran, the bag is lovely and I am sure that once the cantle loses a little bit of sheen it'll look even better. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the cantle, just agreeing with your thoughts on it aging, like most things, apart from perhaps myself, things tend to look better when they have aged a little.

P.S. I think you will be okay wearing casually and formally it bridges the different options well.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Nomad For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s a fine looking sporran, I think that you have chosen well. It should do you for just about everything right up to black tie argyle. Prince Charlie might be a bit of a stretch though.
    Well done Donnie
    Slainte David

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to David Dubh For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    At last my project was completed. I am very excited to strap this fine piece of work around my waist. I think Donnie did a great job creating this work of art. Now, I debated white metal vs brass extensively before reaching out to Donnie, but in the end I was left with no choice but the pewter option. The knotwork is polished, but I look forward to it aging becoming more dull with use. Overall, personally I think it looks great and it should cover me up the most formal of day wear. I'll wear it proudly. Here's a pic of the final product. It'll be making its debut in December along with my County Cavan tank after I get back home. Cheers all!
    IMG_20181015_125930398_resized_1.jpg
    Does that cantle come in brass as well?
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post
    Does that cantle come in brass as well?
    Unfortunately not. It was sourced from Clan Art, and they did not offer any brass options. I searched high and low for a brass cantle to no avail. An ex-MoD cantle would've been ideal, but those unicorns are hard to come by. Also, I might be wrong here, but it seems to me that brass cantles now days are made with that perma-brass, that type that never dulls and stays shiny forever. It's what is used on military uniforms too to save time and not having to constantly polish every single little piece of brass all the time, and the modern brass cantles look like the same type. Not that it's a bad thing, but I like the dullness of the older brass, and I think this pewter will look great when it dulls and darkens a bit.
    Last edited by Manu; 20th October 18 at 10:37 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just recently I was able to purchase the copper plated cantle from Clan Art....fur is Beaver. One of Donnies pieces of art>>

Here is the Sporran, Beaver, with copper (plate)

Close up of the Copper Cantle

Copper is not for everybody, but I just love it.
    Last edited by CollinMacD; 22nd October 18 at 07:12 AM.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to CollinMacD For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast