X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Flying Tiger also appeared and flew at the show.

"Before two notes of the theme were played, Colin knew it was Patrick Mor MacCrimmon's 'Lament for the Children'...Sad seven times--ah, Patrick MacCrimmon of the seven dead sons....'It's a hard tune, that', said old Angus. Hard on the piper; hard on them all; hard on the world." Butcher's Broom, by Neil Gunn, 1994 Walker & Co, NY, p. 397-8.

Mike_Oettle is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much, Bob, for posting that story and the pictures.
    The pictures especially brought back memories. As a cadet at school I wore shorts just like those horrible khaki ones you chaps have on. At one school we wore red flashes in our khaki socks – the detachment was affiliated to the regiment I later served in, but unlike one of its neighbour schools, it did not have kilts for the boys.
    The rifles are exactly like those we drilled with in school cadets, except that our rifles had had their working parts removed.
    The tammies are exactly like the one I wore in my regiment, and still have (it was worn out when I left the unit, so I reckoned nobody else would want it). When I was first issued it, I could still read the label inside, with a British Army marking and a date that I think was 1942.
    Regards,
    Mike
    The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.
    [Proverbs 14:27]

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How cool!

As I sit here at my computer I can cast my gaze upon a print entitled "Pappy" Boyington Scores His First Victory. I met "Pappy" back on July 4th (1981) at the Bellingham air show & he autographed this print of his P-40 (AVG 1st Pursuit Squadron "Adam & Eve") shooting down a Japanese fighter near Rangoon (Feb 1942) for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BobsYourUncle View Post
    A Flying Tiger also appeared and flew at the show.

[SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Oettle View Post
    Thank you so much, Bob, for posting that story and the pictures.
    The pictures especially brought back memories. As a cadet at school I wore shorts just like those horrible khaki ones you chaps have on. At one school we wore red flashes in our khaki socks – the detachment was affiliated to the regiment I later served in, but unlike one of its neighbour schools, it did not have kilts for the boys.
    The rifles are exactly like those we drilled with in school cadets, except that our rifles had had their working parts removed.
    The tammies are exactly like the one I wore in my regiment, and still have (it was worn out when I left the unit, so I reckoned nobody else would want it). When I was first issued it, I could still read the label inside, with a British Army marking and a date that I think was 1942.
    Regards,
    Mike
    Glad to take you back in time...did your boots hurt you as much as these do me? Have taken many measures, all in vain...just pain, pain, pain...nothing compared to the sacrifices of actual service, so I don't mean to whine, but my feet are still recovering...it still was one of the best weekends ever!
    "Before two notes of the theme were played, Colin knew it was Patrick Mor MacCrimmon's 'Lament for the Children'...Sad seven times--ah, Patrick MacCrimmon of the seven dead sons....'It's a hard tune, that', said old Angus. Hard on the piper; hard on them all; hard on the world." Butcher's Broom, by Neil Gunn, 1994 Walker & Co, NY, p. 397-8.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great story and great pics. I am only about 35 miles from Reading, just have never gotten up there for the air show. Hopefully next year ...
    "You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." -Obi Wan Kenobi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the story and photos Mike.

So pleased you could spend some time with the old chap!

Mike_Oettle is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There’s a trick to wearing boots that comes to mind from the remote days when I was a new recruit (roofie, they called us in the South African Army).
    A bottle of methylated spirits was placed in the barracks, and every evening when the boys took their boots off, they put spirits on their feet. It toughened the skin (top skin as well as soles) and made boot-wearing more bearable.
    The word roofie, incidentally, means “scab” — it’s Afrikaans, and it is pronounced ru-wu-fi.
    The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.
    [Proverbs 14:27]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Oettle View Post
    There’s a trick to wearing boots that comes to mind from the remote days when I was a new recruit (roofie, they called us in the South African Army).
    A bottle of methylated spirits was placed in the barracks, and every evening when the boys took their boots off, they put spirits on their feet. It toughened the skin (top skin as well as soles) and made boot-wearing more bearable.
    The word roofie, incidentally, means “scab” — it’s Afrikaans, and it is pronounced ru-wu-fi.
    I've seen such spirits recommended in other forums where breaking in boots was discussed. I must try it! Cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sidney Phillips, a veteran, made an appearance to sign his new book. Sidney was included in Ken Burn's the War, as was his sister Katherine. Sidney is also featured in the Pacific....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great photos ! I’d bite my arm off to be there to see “The Wooden Wonder” whizzing past ! In 2003, I took my family to the Duxford Classic Air Show in the UK and saw many amazing WW2 planes flying. Of course, the fast-heart beat was reserved for the 7 (I think) Spitfires taking off and passing overhead (some were Merlin-engined who took off from the grass, some were Griffon taking off from the runway). The BoB Flight Lanc (I think City of Lincoln) was flying too with the Spit and Hurricane. So were a number P51’s, B-17, a couple of P-40’s, a F4U Corsair, a Bearcat and a Black Widow. There were 2 Ju 52’s and a pre-war German bi-plane fighter (a Henschel perhaps), Russian fighters, RN FAA fighters etc etc. Sadly, we witnessed a Fairey Firefly doing a steep climb, then plummet into a field. The crew died.

There were also various planes there on display in the airfield which, though flown there, I did not see fly that day.

I wished there had been Mosquito or two flying there.

Do you have any Mosquito pix ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast