X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really appreciate the overwhelming response to my question. Thank you all for your insight and your own experiences in learning to play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vmac3205 View Post
    In checking with our local pipe band, I discovered that if you are learning for the purpose of joining the band, the lessons are free. What a good recruiting tool!! As soon as I retire....
    Don't wait, start now. The older you are, the harder it will be, and the less eventual payoff you will have for all your efforts.
    "To the make of a piper go seven years of his own learning, and seven generations before. At the end of his seven years one born to it will stand at the start of knowledge, and leaning a fond ear to the drone he may have parley with old folks of old affairs." - Neil Munro

Phogfan86 is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with JerseyLawyer: don't wait. I'm 44, and my son is 11. We both joined our local pipe band at the same time, and I'm having to work twice as hard to pick up the same amount of information.

I think most bands offer free lessons, although they're probably not private lessons. Our lessons are three or four players -- my son, me and one or two others). That's worked well for us as beginners, but I'm also talking one of the band members about doing private lessons, too.
    Why, a child of five could understand this. Quick -- someone fetch me a child of five!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kick myself every once in a while; I had the opportunity to learn (for free!) as a teenager when I attended Sarasota, Florida's Riverview High School. They have the "Kiltie Band" and I could've just learned then...

Anways, fast-forward and I'm 33. I'm just learning now, but I figure it's never "too late" and I'll still have many years of playing before me!

My instructor was a president of the EUSPBA, in addtion to a slew of awards and has been teaching for many decades. I feel pretty fortunate in that regard.
    "A true adventurer goes forth, aimless and uncalculating, to meet and greet unknown fate." ~ Domino Harvey ~
    ~ We Honor Our Fallen ~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am 57 and starting the learning process. Through the piper's website and a local piping supplies vendor have found a local pipe band, and several instructors. Now to find out which one to learn from. The meet and greet starts next Monday.. Finally to find out how to learn this Chanter thing.. Yea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I turned 52 this past summer and kind of thought I was a bit long in the tooth to learn a new instrument. I played the baritone and the tuba all through Jr and Sr high school and play at the guitar. So if I can use SteveB as a source of inspiration to learn the pipes, I just might get there!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    I am 57 and starting the learning process. Through the piper's website and a local piping supplies vendor have found a local pipe band, and several instructors. Now to find out which one to learn from. The meet and greet starts next Monday.. Finally to find out how to learn this Chanter thing.. Yea.
    Earl D-
    Clans Cameron and MacLeod
    --------------------------------------------------
    I thought I had a handle on life-then one day the handle broke off!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12