X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LG's Levee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those who don't already know them, these handbooks give a detailed breakdown of the current regimental reguations for dress on different occasions and duties -

https://electricscotland.com/history..._Rulations.pdf

Levee Dress is illustrated and listed, and is basically a verion of No1 full regimental of the smartest sort. In other words, full-fig of the 'dress-to-impress' kind.

Civilian dress should be at a similar level of formality and smartness - so brown shoes, tweed jackets and check shirts are not at all the done thing..!

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Tartan waistcoats are indeed seen more often in the West Coast of Scotland---------at formal evening events where formal attire is required by all. Rarely, thank goodness, are tartan waistcoats and tartan hose worn for non formal events in Scotland, but I am sorry to say some in Scotland do wear them on occasion and sometimes, I am afraid, they are worn for everyday non formal events.
    Why 'Thank goodness..' Jock..?

I find I have to cop a plee of guilty as charged, M' Lud, as I am an habitual offender. I've got 'form'...

Though, in my defence, one of the offending articles is made up from an ancient piece of unused tartan inherited from grandparents, and that gets worn with a tweed suit, but the others are for kilt use.

These others are cut for evening-wear, and only get shown to the world after the sun has packed it in for the day, but there is one that does regular day-duty - but not 'everyday non formal' so perhaps you'll let me off with a caution!

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    For those who don't already know them, these handbooks give a detailed breakdown of the current regimental reguations for dress on different occasions and duties -

https://electricscotland.com/history..._Rulations.pdf

Levee Dress is illustrated and listed, and is basically a verion of No1 full regimental of the smartest sort. In other words, full-fig of the 'dress-to-impress' kind.

Civilian dress should be at a similar level of formality and smartness - so brown shoes, tweed jackets and check shirts are not at all the done thing..!
    I think that these Canadian levees are a somewhat different kettle of fish. FAQ's for Saskatchewan's Lieutenant Governor’s New Year’s Day Levee indicate that there is no dress code, some people choose to dress up for the party and others come in more casual attire.

More here:
    https://ltgov.sk.ca/levee-faq

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Scott View Post
    I think that these Canadian levees are a somewhat different kettle of fish. FAQ's for Saskatchewan's Lieutenant Governor’s New Year’s Day Levee indicate that there is no dress code, some people choose to dress up for the party and others come in more casual attire.

More here:
    https://ltgov.sk.ca/levee-faq

A Lieutenant Governor's visit is essentially a Royal vist, as the Lt. Gov. is there in lieu of the monarch - but there will always be varying levels of formality at different LG events, and therefore dress, according to the occasion.

Military personel who are attending in some sort of official or ceremonial capacity will be obliged to observe their regimental regulations, and the RROS booklet makes clear what that now is for them, but civilians are free to dress as they please.

No specified dress code for such events is open to interpretation - morning-coat (or equivalent) would have been the natural choice a generation or so ago, but almost anything goes these days.

7. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For events such as this it is usual to "wear the best you've got"... very appropriate to wear the Alberta tartan to such an event. I am an Albertan, but do not own a kilt in this tartan... (I don't particularly like the colour combination.) I was born in the neighbouring province of Saskatchewan and do have a Summer weight kilt in their tartan.
    Some folks think the kilt and tartan are Scottish symbols.... they indeed are but the Scottish diaspora brought them to their new homes in places like Canada, where today there are more citizens claiming to have Scottish ancestry than there are people in Scotland. Every Province and territory have their own tartan as do many cities, universities and other institutions.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

9. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am afraid that I am going to have to respectfully disagree.

No I'm not the best model; however, there is nothing like a healthy discussion...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5a58a36653a747115172ad126c15cf2b.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	43220

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Glen For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen View Post
    No I'm not the best model; however, there is nothing like a healthy discussion...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5a58a36653a747115172ad126c15cf2b.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	43220
    I am all for a healthy and friendly discussion.

Now, if we use the picture of the then Prince Charles pictured above in this thread with his tartan waistcoat as a prime example of what some Scots wear on rare occasion with day attire. So there is no argument there. But, BUT, there is a huge difference between that and a Gilbertian tartan outfit that some , particularly outwith Scotland’s shores, who insist on wearing these theatrical outfits , that do absolutely no favours to general kilt attire at all. Particularly when used as an example of “smart kilt attire”, when the less is more, is thought to be more in keeping. “Overegging the cake “
    is generally not the thought to be necessary,wise or effective by knowledgeable observers .
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 25th January 24 at 04:53 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am all for a healthy and friendly discussion.

Now, if we use the picture of the then Prince Charles pictured above in this thread with his tartan waistcoat as a prime example of what some Scots wear on rare occasion with day attire. So there is no argument there. But, BUT, there is a huge difference between that and a Gilbertian tartan outfit that some , particularly outwith Scotland’s shores, who insist on wearing these theatrical outfits , that do absolutely no favours to general kilt attire at all. Particularly when used as an example of “smart kilt attire”, when the less is more, is thought to be more in keeping. “Overegging the cake “
    is generally not the thought to be necessary,wise or effective by knowledgeable observers .
    Then let's keep it healthy and leave our “Gilbertian” comments out of the picture. Sounds a bit like “Albertan” by the way.
    A. A. Milne

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    Then let's keep it healthy and leave our “Gilbertian” comments out of the picture. Sounds a bit like “Albertan” by the way.
    I am sorry if I have over stepped the mark . Personally as far as I am aware the term “gilbertian” is not a term that raises any eyebrows over here.

I am afraid that I am not familiar with the word “Albertan” so again if I have stepped on another toe then please accept my apology.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 25th January 24 at 10:43 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sorry if I have over stepped the mark . Personally as far as I am aware it’s not a term that raises any eyebrows over here.

I am afraid that I am not familiar with the word “Albertan” so again if I have stepped on another toe then please accept my apology.
    An Albertan is a citizen of Alberta. Alberta became a province of Canada in 1905 and was named after Princess Louise Caroline Alberta the 4th daughter of Queen Victoria. World famous Lake Louise was also named after her. She was also the wife of the Marquess of Lorne who was appointed Canada's Governor General in 1878. She was the first female member of the Royal family to visit North America.
    A. A. Milne

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast