X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Death before Dishonor -- Nothing before Coffee

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Chief retires and moves back home to the family farm. One day, he hears a commotion out by the barn and when he goes to investigate, he sees a hot air ballon draped over the barn with the gondola basket hanging about 10 feet in the air. The man in the basket sees the Chief and asks, "Where am I?" The Chief replies, "You're in a basket, hanging off of my barn, about ten feet in the air." The man says, "You must have been a Chief in the Navy." The retired Chief is impressed, so he asks, "How did you know that?" The man answers, "Easy. Your answer, while technically correct, doesn't give me any information that I didn't already know. Also, it doesn't help me out of this situation." The Chief replies, "Sounds like you were in the Navy as well, definitely an officer, probably a Commander or above." The man replies, "Amazing, I retired as a Captain. How could you tell?" The Chief answers, "Simple: One, you ask a general question expecting a detailed answer, the first sign of an officer. And because my answer wasn't in the vein of what you were looking for, you turn it about so that it is somehow my fault that you are in the predicament that you're in. That's how I could tell that you were at least a Lieutenant or above. And you neglect the fact that despite the fact that I answered your question, you now assume that I will feel inclined to get you out of the predicament. That's how I could tell that you had made Commander. Now, pack your trash and get off of my barn!"
    I've found that most relationships work best when no one wears pants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, Deirachel:
    Holy cats! That's one funny website...beats The Onion coming and going!
    Thanks!

JT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fetch Me a Bucket of Muzzle Blast

There was a young artilleryman from Nantucket
    That the Chief of Smoke sent for a bucket

When the artilleryman returned at last
    Smoke sent him to find muzzle blast

We are short of blast too said Gun 1's crew
    Check with Gun Number 2

After checking with all he could find he stood very still
    And knew he had been had as laughter covered the hill.

One thing to remember, as much as the services fight between themselves, if there is a call for help, get out of the doorway because we are all on the way to help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstar63 View Post
    From my time in the Navy.
    Go to the boiler room and bring me a water hammar and a left- handed monkey wrench.
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronCat View Post
    "Sorry, Chief...couldn't find those but I brought you back 50' of skyline and one-half gallon of checkerboard paint in case you need them."

And hurry it up! You need to be on watch for the mail buoy in 10 minutes!

One of the absolute BEST new guy moments was when, after having been subjected to a number of these errands, a new seaman was told by a Petty Officer to retrieve some "red stripe paint" from the paint locker. Our hero, convinced that this was yet another attempt at humor at his expense spent the next half-hour taking his ease in the paint locker. Imagine his surprise on being discovered by the the Chief Boatswain's Mate, who informed him, in very colorful terms, that striping paint is a very real commodity with many uses aboard ship, and that the paint locker is not an appropriate place for a nap, particularly during work hours.
    Last edited by KD Burke; 1st March 13 at 05:50 AM.
    'A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my day ('55-'61) on board ship the popular order to a new seaman was - go and fetch 20 feet of shoreline.
    Last edited by sailortats; 1st March 13 at 06:41 AM.
    proud U.S. Navy vet

Creag ab Sgairbh

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill aka Mole View Post
    A Chief retires and moves back home to the family farm. One day, he hears a commotion out by the barn and when he goes to investigate, he sees a hot air ballon draped over the barn with the gondola basket hanging about 10 feet in the air. The man in the basket sees the Chief and asks, "Where am I?" The Chief replies, "You're in a basket, hanging off of my barn, about ten feet in the air." The man says, "You must have been a Chief in the Navy." The retired Chief is impressed, so he asks, "How did you know that?" The man answers, "Easy. Your answer, while technically correct, doesn't give me any information that I didn't already know. Also, it doesn't help me out of this situation." The Chief replies, "Sounds like you were in the Navy as well, definitely an officer, probably a Commander or above." The man replies, "Amazing, I retired as a Captain. How could you tell?" The Chief answers, "Simple: One, you ask a general question expecting a detailed answer, the first sign of an officer. And because my answer wasn't in the vein of what you were looking for, you turn it about so that it is somehow my fault that you are in the predicament that you're in. That's how I could tell that you were at least a Lieutenant or above. And you neglect the fact that despite the fact that I answered your question, you now assume that I will feel inclined to get you out of the predicament. That's how I could tell that you had made Commander. Now, pack your trash and get off of my barn!"
    That Chief had a retired Marine Sgt Major as a neighbor. The Marine had a pet parrot that he had trained to wake him up at zero dark thirty every day "Sqquuaaak, reveille reveille reveille, get up get up get up Sqaauuaaakkk!". Of course as a retired gentleman farmer he didn't need to get up at such an ungodly hour. Never the less, the first three days of his retirement, at zero dark thirty "Sqquuaaak, reveille reveille reveille, get up get up get up Sqaauuaaakkk!". Nothing seemed to help. The Sgt Major decided to make the parrot sleep out in the hen house. The next morning, at zero dark thirty, a tremendous raucous comes from the hen house. The marine goes to investigate. There, in front of the hen house all the brown chickens are standing tall. The white, red and black chickens are on the ground doing push ups. The parrot, walking back and forth is saying "Now when I say fall out in khakis, maybe you'll fall out in khakis!"
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sailortats View Post
    In my day ('55-'61) on board ship the popular order to a new seaman was - go and fetch 20 feet of shoreline.

Do you want the new EPA approved shoreline or will take the shoreline we brought on board before the new regulations?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unixken View Post
    ...And don't forget the bucket of prop wash.
    As well as 1000 ft of flight line.. (My ex husband actually fell for both that and the 20 gallons of Rotor Wash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warpfactorx View Post
    As well as 1000 ft of flight line.. (My ex husband actually fell for both that and the 20 gallons of Rotor Wash.
    Being a helicopter guy, I always liked the Rotor Wash gag.

When I was in boot, during our galley week, our sister company had the galley, while my company had all the odd jobs around the base (watch standing, grounds keeping, runners for the officers, etc.) We were asked if anyone wanted to command a Coast Guard Cutter. Two guys raised their hands and were given lawn mowers for the week.
    KEN CORMACK
    Clan Buchanan
    U.S. Coast Guard, Retired
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, USA

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast