X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To keep the seal with plastic pipes, I use hemp coated with black wax. The wax heats up, makes a good seal, and sticks to the plastic. I never have a problem seating my chanter reeds to the chanter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FULL SIZE CHANTER - Check, I agree completely (I recommend the Walsh Full Length Blackwood)

COLLEGE OF PIPING GREEN BOOK - Check, I completely agree

TEACHER - Check, I more than completely agree. I know others have directed you to Andy Lenz's site and agree completely with that recommendation too. I want to amplify this. It is of *dire* importance that you have a teacher and not be self taught. Unless you are already an accomplished musician, teaching yourself piping is a pointless exercise in futility. Your ear is not attuned to the gracings or tonalities of the instrument. You aren't familiar enough as a beginner to know what you're doing right or wrong or how to correct what you're doing wrong. The tape/CD that comes with the College of Piping's tutor is good (very good actually), but it doesn't give instant feedback - something intrinsic in the teacher/student relationship. Don't try to teach yourself and wind up with bad habits that you'll have to unlearn in the future.

Porrick's and Daz's advice on early points of concentration are right on. Listen and live by them!

Bill
    The tradition continues!
    The Pipers Gathering at Killington, VT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutniagara View Post
    You should be on the chanter for about three years before you actually play the pipes.
    This is a very late response but the above statement is definitely open to debate. There's no hard and fast rule. I was on the practice chanter for about six months prior to starting on the full set of pipes . . . that's fairly common. Some instructors even start older students on blowing and building stamina immediately (no tunes) and work on learning fingering concurrently. I know of a 12-year-old (second generation piper) who went from zero to winning entry level competitions in six months. What's required varies greatly from student to student.

Andrew
    (Piping over 10 years, Grade III competitive piper)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like the other posters have said; go with the Poly not wood. The long will be easier when you switch over to a pipe chanter. That said I have a McCallum PC and like it. I've heard the book "rhythmic fingerings" (?) is very good for the doublings, and a good teacher, listed last but most important! Finally best wishes, have fun, and be loud and proud!
    Last edited by drobin; 28th February 08 at 07:15 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLenzJr View Post
    This is a very late response but the above statement is definitely open to debate. There's no hard and fast rule. I was on the practice chanter for about six months prior to starting on the full set of pipes . . . that's fairly common. Some instructors even start older students on blowing and building stamina immediately (no tunes) and work on learning fingering concurrently. I know of a 12-year-old (second generation piper) who went from zero to winning entry level competitions in six months. What's required varies greatly from student to student.

Andrew
    (Piping over 10 years, Grade III competitive piper)
    Well, I think if you have had prior experience on music instruments (particularly wind instruments) I think you can skip the stamina exercises and learning to read music. Plus, some are just prodegies (spelling?)...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Dunbar full-size as well, very solid and consistent.

One suggestion I have that might be a little unusual is to practice along with a keyboard if you can. Use the sustain pedal to play your drone note so you'll know if you're practicing is off pitch. Just remember that the "A" drone of pipes is actually "Bb" for some reason!

I finally got a pipes practice book the other day too. That's the first time I've ever seen a 4-note grace note before a beat!! Can you really still call them grace notes if there's more of them than the real notes of the melody?!

Oh, and save your yogurt cups! You can cut them up to make replacement chanter reeds!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpdressedscot View Post
    Well, I think if you have had prior experience on music instruments (particularly wind instruments) I think you can skip the stamina exercises and learning to read music.
    Yes and no, though mostly the latter. Perhaps if a student had regularly been playing horns, maybe they would be somewhat better prepared for the pipes. However, while I haven't played horns, I've been told repeatedly by folks that bagpipes are very unique in their demands on the human body. Horns would be like blowing into a small straw and bagpipes would be like blowing into a piece of PVC pipe, there's more cubic feet per minute involved. Plus the embouchure is very different, your lips need to build stamina too.

Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I too was looking into buying a chanter....what's a good price range...i've seen some on ebay for $20 but am very suspicious...and whats a good no nonsense name to look for?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Celtic Medic,

If it's $20 then it's most likely garbage. McCallum and Naill poly chanters are 2 that I have worked with and found very dependable. I recommend the Naill, it uses O-rings to separate the top from the bottom so no hemp is needed for a tight seal. This means you don't have to worry about changing hemp, wet hemp, or a stuck chanter. Some guys really like black wood chanters, however I do not subscribe to spending upwards of $100 on a practice instrument that only myself and instructor are going to hear. Save your money and put it towards a good set of pipes (used or new). That being said, you can pick up a poly (plastic) Naill chanter for around $70 if you know where to look.

Best of Luck!

Tom
    Last edited by RakesOfMallow; 28th February 08 at 12:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLenzJr View Post
    Yes and no, though mostly the latter. Perhaps if a student had regularly been playing horns, maybe they would be somewhat better prepared for the pipes. However, while I haven't played horns, I've been told repeatedly by folks that bagpipes are very unique in their demands on the human body. Horns would be like blowing into a small straw and bagpipes would be like blowing into a piece of PVC pipe, there's more cubic feet per minute involved. Plus the embouchure is very different, your lips need to build stamina too.

Andrew
    true, but the lungs will be ready for it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast