X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ctbuchanan View Post
    The best hangers I've found are at Bed Bath and Beyond - they have rubberized clips which hold very well. But I am interested in trying out the two hanger fold over method as well.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...p?SKU=40153490
    We tried these and found the clips were too close to the bar, also (if memory serves) the hangar doesn't swivel in relationship to bar. Ended up sending them to Goodwill and sticking with the freebies as Mr. Ashton describes.
    Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Thorpe View Post
    My tanks are unfortunately bigger around, and therefore heavier, than yours, Kyle.
    Aww, good point. My hanger style may still work for you, though. Not to mention, they look nice and you can step back and admire your well organised and orderly wardrobe as I do! Hahaha! I've always been a stickler, borderline OCD when it comes to the proper storage of clothing, especially Highland dress. No moths in my closet!

Best regards,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
    I needed a decent kilt hanger for my new kilt, so hit Walmart today to see what they may have. The longest hangers I could find with clips were these three-packs of white plastic hangers.
    ... I took the clips off of one ... And put them on another so I had 4 clips ... Presto zippo, new inexpensive kilt hanger!

Frank: Clever idea. I'm glad it's working out for you. Since I'm not ingenious, I just buy Order of the Gael hangers. They work fine, but they're not cheap.

John
    Last edited by mookien; 4th October 12 at 12:14 PM.
    I changed my signature. The old one was too ridiculous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks John! I am cheap, no way around it, but for good reason - cash is short, and the minister of finance does not always approve, darn her!

Frank
    Ne Obliviscaris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since joining this forum and reading Steve's thread I have used the 1/4 folded two hanger method for all my kilts. Never had a dropped kilt, except when I've been a klutz.
    Kevin Cernoch
    Kilted with a Czechered Ancestry.

The Northern Appalachian Highlands of Southern Ohio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by creagdhubh View Post
    Aww, good point. My hanger style may still work for you, though. Not to mention, they look nice and you can step back and admire your well organised and orderly wardrobe as I do! Hahaha! I've always been a stickler, borderline OCD when it comes to the proper storage of clothing, especially Highland dress. No moths in my closet!

Best regards,
    That doesn't surprise me. Impeccable "on the hoof", I would expect no less of your closet.
    I have a vintage cedar wardrobe for my hangared clothes. No bugs here either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Thorpe View Post
    I have a vintage cedar wardrobe for my hangared clothes. No bugs here either.
    ***!!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, applying Steves method to the WalMart hangers (with extra clips added) I've come up with this.

Pleat side

And, then folded together.

I can see where I need to redo the clips so the kilt is centered on the hangers and doesn't list to one side. Really like it, think it helps the Polyviscose kilts hand much better.

And, I have LOTS of hangers since I sold off a bunch of kilts a while back.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea! I'll get on that when we get home tomorrow. Getting kilted in a bit to go out for dinner.

Thanks!

Frank
    Ne Obliviscaris

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The apron crease issue

With a 33 inch waist, on one 14", 3 to 5 clip hanger I can store my kilts with the aprons flat. I am wondering how you keep from getting a crease set in the apron for the larger guys kilts - single and double hanger setups seem to both involve apron folding. Surely you aren't steaming this fold out everytime you pull one out of the closet?
    That large, flat, uninterrupted expanse of fabric really highlights any mild crease.
    Seems smart to keep the pleats to the outside folded as they are a lot harder to fix and steaming will loosen the crisp knife edges.
    Last edited by tundramanq; 21st October 12 at 10:37 AM.
    slàinte mhath, Chuck
    Originally Posted by MeghanWalker,In answer to Goodgirlgoneplaids challenge:
    "My sporran is bigger and hairier than your sporran"
    Pants is only a present tense verb here. I once panted, but it's all cool now.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast