X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Scotland's National Attire

Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    There used to be a Westminster MP who I think had a Scots constituency, the late Sir Nicholas Fairbairn QC, MP who used to wear a tartan(his own tartan I think)suit on budget day in the House of Commons. I have not seen the kilt on the floor of the House of Commons either, perhaps there is an act of Parliament preventing it? Perhaps its one of those unfathomable "its just not done, Old Boy" type things that still haunts parts of British society on occasion?
    I recall that Sir Nicholas was a frequent kilt wearer and I saw him kilted when he was a candidate for Lord Rector of St Andrews University. I could swear that I saw him kilted on TV in the House of Commons at least once when he addressed Welsh MP, Ann Clwyd, in Welsh!

There is a photo of him in his kilt outside Fordell Castle in Fife. That was taken for The Scotsman Magazine 3rd issue, June 1980.

And yes Jock, he indeed had a Scottish constituency - Perth and Kinross which he took over from Alec Douglas-Home.
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gosh, Russell Johnston! I should have thought of him and thank you for reminding me, not only did he wear the kilt in the House of Commons he also carried something sharp and pointed in his hose there too, which I seem to recall caused more than a raised eyebrow from the Ushers! A good man.
    Dind't Fairbairn carry a loaded minature revolver hanging from a chain attached to his waistcoat? Seem to to recall that causing a fuss............

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MacSpadger View Post
    Dind't Fairbairn carry a loaded minature revolver hanging from a chain attached to his waistcoat? Seem to to recall that causing a fuss............
    I don't know, that is a new one on me, but he was the sort not to be too worried about trifling details!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 13th March 12 at 04:05 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not sure how small weapons are dealt with for MPs - certainly they have their own entrance and may not be subject to the scans the public must go through.

However, they are still theoretically allowed to take swords into the Palace of Westminster with them. They have an area where they are supposed to hang them before they actually enter the House itself though.

Another interesting fact is that the width of the table in the House is slightly wider than the length of two swords to prevent other than verbal skirmishes occurring!

Fascinating what one remembers from a schoolboy tour back in the early 70s!
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McClef View Post
    There is a photo of him in his kilt outside Fordell Castle in Fife. That was taken for The Scotsman Magazine 3rd issue, June 1980.

He is buried there. He bought the ruins of Fordell for £100. The castle was sold in 2007 for £3,850,000. That's one heck of a property hike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He is buried there. He bought the ruins of Fordell for £100. The castle was sold in 2007 for £3,850,000. That's one heck of a property hike.
    Wow! Quite a profit!!!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by creagdhubh View Post
    Wow! Quite a profit!!!
    Not as big as you might think, I suspect, when you consider the cost of resurrecting a ruin and the upkeep from then on.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not as big as you might think, I suspect, when you consider the cost of resurrecting a ruin and the upkeep from then on.
    Quite right, Jock. MacNeil of Barra and Kisimul Castle comes to mind in that regard.

Slainte,
    Last edited by creagdhubh; 13th March 12 at 09:25 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recall seeing Fairbairn in trews on several occasion below the border and many times in the kilt above it. He was photographed in his kilt by Stephens Orr, the Glasgow photographer who himself wore a kilt at all times.

Fairbairn is noted in several annals as the only kilted Secretary of State the UK has had.

Another Conservative Scottish MP, Bill Walker, also used to wear the kilt. (just to be clear, I am talking about the former deputy chairman of the Scottish Conservative Party here, not the current MSP Bill Walker). Bill most definitely did wear the kilt in the House of Commons in the 1980s and 90s and also when appearing as an MP on Question Time.

I think it would be safe to say that Fairbairn was a one-off.
    Yes, you're right. I remember the reporter in the Times saying he looked down and thought the seated Walker was carrying a tin of shortbread until he realized it was a kilt!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234