X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going to Scotland (My wife is amazing)

After gifting me lordship in Glencoe for my birthday, my wife has booked a 12 day trip to Scotland. We’re hitting Glasgow the Orkney Islands, specifically Kirkwall, Inverness and then Edinburgh.
    I’m now trying to write up a priority list of what to see and visit. Any suggestions?

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to AtlantaRandy For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What an amazing gift! Your wife is awesome for that, y'all have fun!!!
    Never run or do jumping jacks while wearing a heavy sporran
    "500 years before Christ was born, a highlander stepped on the bloated carcass of a sheep and the bagpipes were born"
    Stabo (I shall stand)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful. I've been to all these places, and can see that you will be spoiled for choice. The ancient village of Scara Brae (Orkney) is not be missed. There is so much to choose from around Glasgow and Edinburgh - much depends on individual taste. Mary King's Close in Edinburgh is quite fascinating, and there's lots of good walking: Waters of Leith, and the Hermitage of Braid. And don't forget Edinburgh Castle!!

I'm sure you will have a great trip.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiltedjohn View Post
    Wonderful. I've been to all these places, and can see that you will be spoiled for choice. The ancient village of Scara Brae (Orkney) is not be missed. There is so much to choose from around Glasgow and Edinburgh - much depends on individual taste. Mary King's Close in Edinburgh is quite fascinating, and there's lots of good walking: Waters of Leith, and the Hermitage of Braid. And don't forget Edinburgh Castle!!

I'm sure you will have a great trip.
    Thank you for the pointers.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Appears you are Clan Donald, so you should visit the Isle of Skye, Armadale Estate. That is would be a must do for Donald Clan member.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope that you have a great holiday. So much to see - so little time to see it. You do not say what your interests are but here goes!

Google is your friend so I suggest you check out the following:-

Glasgow - Riverside Museum - Mitchell library - Glasgow Necropolis - Burrell Collection
    Orkney - sorry not familiar
    Inverness - Cairngorm National park and Cairngorm Mountain Railway - Blair Castle - Edradour Distillery. (These are south of Inverness)
    Edinburgh - Mary Kings Close - National Museum of Scotland - South Queensferry (three bridges over the River Forth including the Railway Bridge) -Royal Yacht Britannia

And so much more!

Enjoy!

Peter

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Peter Lowe For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I leave on May 16 for Edinburgh. We will be in Scotland for 2 weeks and England for 1 week. Google is your friend, also Youtube videos, we also purchased and Rick Steve's travel guide and watched his videos, check out his website at www.ricksteves.com. Our main stay is in Stirling for 6 days.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.' Benjamin Franklin

10. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Richrail For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Edinburgh, be sure to walk up Arthur's Seat. This extinct volcano is right in the city and has amazing views.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to jumary For This Useful Post:

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best advice: don't dash-about. The best parts of Scotland are the Highlands, the Borders and Galloway. In the Highlands you must visit Drumossie Moor and the NTS Culloden site while you are at Inverness (allow several hours or you will wish you had), but nearby (a two-minute drive) are the Bulnuarin of Clava Stones, a bronze age cemetery. A couple of thousand years apart, these two well-preserved sites tell tales beyond your imagining.

14. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaRandy View Post
    After gifting me lordship in Glencoe for my birthday, my wife has booked a 12 day trip to Scotland. We’re hitting Glasgow the Orkney Islands, specifically Kirkwall, Inverness and then Edinburgh.
    I’m now trying to write up a priority list of what to see and visit. Any suggestions?
    Indeed I do have a suggestion; take me with you! Surely you've an extra suitcase just my size...
    At a time like this one must ask themselves, 'WWJDD"
    What Would Jimmy Durante Do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast