X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personal Assumed Arms

I was fortunate to be able to go through the design and registration process of my personal arms through the American College of Heraldry earlier this year, and more recently also registered the same through the Cronista of Castille and Leon in Spain. The design process with ACH was a really good experience, particularly for a newbie to the disciplines of heraldry, and I'm quite pleased with the result. Some day maybe I'll put together the money and the more precise genealogy to petition for matriculated arms from the Lord Lyon, but for now I'm grateful to be able to hold assumed arms.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ACH CAUDILL JASON.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	185.6 KB 
ID:	39016
    Last edited by TNScotsman; 23rd July 20 at 07:34 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. About how long did it take?
    Garrai Eoin!! - Garryowen!

Chris
    "Trooper, look at the Master Parachutist's Badge on my chest. Do I look like a tanker to you?"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Start to finish for me was about 3 weeks, which I think is faster than normal. I was really impressed with the time they took in discussing everything and going through multiple drafts until we got the final product.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNScotsman View Post
    Start to finish for me was about 3 weeks, which I think is faster than normal. I was really impressed with the time they took in discussing everything and going through multiple drafts until we got the final product.
    I'm jealous that it took only 3 weeks. I went through the IAAH and it took a few months for the herald and I to decide on my Arms.

I like your Arms, any particular meaning behind them?
    OblSB, PhD, KOSG

"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." -Socrates

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dcommini View Post
    I'm jealous that it took only 3 weeks. I went through the IAAH and it took a few months for the herald and I to decide on my Arms.

I like your Arms, any particular meaning behind them?
    Thank you! I think yours are quite handsome as well. Like you I'm a PhD and a knight, so I chose the azure tincture for its similarity to PhD blue on academic regalia and the Maltese cross as a common sign of knighthood (though I'm not a knight of Malta). The triple stars are a nod to the tristar of the Tennessee state flag, the Saltire for my Scottish heritage, and the wave pattern a note to being in the Coast Guard Auxiliary. The bear is an American black bear from the Smoky Mountains and it is holding a hammer for my hobby of woodworking and a heritage of skilled trades in my family.

Probably more of an answer than you wanted, but it's hard to pick some of the explanation without doing it all. We may have some interesting conversations around academia and chivalry given our common experiences there.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to TNScotsman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also CG Aux here! And both sons started in the Aux and are now Active Duty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNScotsman View Post
    Thank you! I think yours are quite handsome as well. Like you I'm a PhD and a knight, so I chose the azure tincture for its similarity to PhD blue on academic regalia and the Maltese cross as a common sign of knighthood (though I'm not a knight of Malta). The triple stars are a nod to the tristar of the Tennessee state flag, the Saltire for my Scottish heritage, and the wave pattern a note to being in the Coast Guard Auxiliary. The bear is an American black bear from the Smoky Mountains and it is holding a hammer for my hobby of woodworking and a heritage of skilled trades in my family.

Probably more of an answer than you wanted, but it's hard to pick some of the explanation without doing it all. We may have some interesting conversations around academia and chivalry given our common experiences there.
    This is exactly as much of an answer that I wanted! Thank you. I'm on a few heraldry groups on Facebook and the one on Reddit as well. I absolutely love seeing people's Arms and learning why they chose the things that they did.

I thought the three stars were for Tennessee; it seems you can't go anywhere in the state without them. I know that the National Guard units I was in had them on their unit patches and even in their unit insignia. The rest I was unsure about, but I'm glad to have learned more about you and your Arms.

I am curious as to what chivalrous group you belong to, you may have told me long ago, but I cannot remember.

Also, thank you for your kind words towards my Arms. Despite how simple they appear there was a lot of thought given to what I eventually landed on.
    OblSB, PhD, KOSG

"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." -Socrates

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a fellow East Tennessean, I heartily approve! Well done!
    Ricky Lloyd
    Secretary • Appalachian Highlands Celts

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DCampbell16B View Post
    Also CG Aux here! And both sons started in the Aux and are now Active Duty.
    Semper Paratus - always good to meet another shipmate! And it's a bonus that we're also Clansmen (Campbell of Cawdor for me). My thanks and respect to your sons for their service.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dcommini View Post
    I am curious as to what chivalrous group you belong to, you may have told me long ago, but I cannot remember.

Also, thank you for your kind words towards my Arms. Despite how simple they appear there was a lot of thought given to what I eventually landed on.
    Glad that I could be helpful! As for orders of chivalry, I have the honor of serving as a Knight Commander of the Order of Saint Sylvester, Knight Commander of the Order of the Star of Ethiopia, Grand Cordon of the Order of the Pearl of Sulu, and Companion of the Order of Omukama Chwa II. Kabalega. I should probably know by your post nominals, but what Orders are you involved with?

As for simple arms, the very little I know about heraldic design says that simplicity is a benefit. While mine have a great deal of meaning I feel like the design is simple, uncluttered, and in respect to the original purpose of arms could be relatively easily identified at a distance. I'd be glad to hear about the meanings behind your own design as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast