X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scottish Country Dancing

Since there are (and it's no surprise) many members here who love SCD and some who take it seriously I thought I'd post some piccies from a Statewide SC Dance I organised for Tartan Day (July 1st here).

About 50 people came, from around Tasmania, I sponsored the event on behalf of and for the promotion of New World Celts.

Honoured guests included (from left) Malcolm and Joy Murray, Earl and Countess of Dunmore who are residents of Tasmania and great patrons of all things Scottish.

We had a display table with products of sale in the Australian Nat. Tartan and the Tasmanian Tartan.

The local newspaper gave us a good writeup which did a lot of good in promoting the kilt in our area.

Everyone had a great time and want to repeat the event for next year.
    We had a huge list of dances to get through, yes, including the real Gay Gordons. My favourites were Wind on Loch Fyne and Machine Without Horses (you know that one Jamie!)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like it was a wonderful day, congratulations on a successful event, I hope it becomes an annual affair. Very positive article as well, thanks for posting it, it was a good read.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOnderful coverage and thanks for the pictures Graham.

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done, Gray! I am so envious of you youngsters who can still manage a neat pas de basque setting step, or even a pas de basque coupé! I might be able to get through a strathspey or two (which, by the way, I love for their sheer elegance), but that would be it.

'Machine Without Horses' was a great favourite in my dancing heydays (the '60s and '70s!).
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Job well done Graham and thanks for the photos!

Martin S
    Keep up the good work, Graham -- in favour of both kilts and Scottish country dancing; the more people that adopt either or both, the better place this world will be.

We recently enjoyed our annual get-together for dancers from around the world: a whole wonderful week of country dancing in the Alps of southeastern France.

How is it that only good, decent, honest people, friendly and outgoing, ever take up SCD?

Martin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done, Graham. I miss going to Scottish Country Dancing twice a week since Ann had her stroke - we used to enjoy the company and the exercise and I can highly recommend it if you are reasonably fit.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i go to a small Scottish country dancing group 15 miles from me, on the edge of the North Yorkshire Moors. The group is full of middle-aged and elderly ladies, with some younger men and women, and I find myself constsantly amazed and impressed at how fit these ladies are compared to me !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lovley photos Graham looks like a good time was had by all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic pictures.
    Looks like a great time was had by all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast