X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wore mine to a local botanical garden this weekend and got a lot of really positive comments. I'm a bit of a shy introvert, so it's been an exercise in anxiety control getting all the attention and questions. Really, I just want to wear my kilt and everyone to see it no differently than trousers or jeans. Alas, we are not there yet.

I did overhear one guy mumble to his female friend/significant other "Is he wearing a skirt?" To which she replied, somewhat hesitantly because I think she realized we were in earshot and walking toward them, "It's a kilt."

I do get the "Are you Scottish?" question a lot, too...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PSFix_20181021_161500.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	286.9 KB 
ID:	35376
    I'm on the left, in case anyone was wondering.
    Last edited by huntgathergrow; 22nd October 18 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Add photo.

2. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to huntgathergrow For This Useful Post:

Mel1721L is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KiltedHope View Post
    I find that the space where I get the most unspoken attention is when I am riding public transit in my kilt (usually to and from work). I find the body language of those who are staring is often one of curiosity. Here in Calgary, Alberta, Canada there is a rich Scottish heritage from our founders and it continues throughout the City in various aspects. However, a lot of younger people (relative term as I am middle aged) only experience "kilts" through their schools (usually grades 3-9ish) or if they are even aware of and attend the Highland Games. So, when riding on a bus or a light rail train, I find it is usually youth who stare. Often making eye contact makes them look away but their eyes always come back...and it is usually the males. Most people are too involved in their phones or tablets to even notice, especially when it is busy.

Around work, I am not the only one who wears a kilt occasionally. There are a couple others although we rarely cross paths during the day. Nonetheless, it is still worthy of conversations around the water cooler and often I get asked to get a photo with me. A few now express disappointment that I don't wear it more frequently.

The other day, my spouse picked me up from work while I was kilted and we went out for Thai food at a Thai restaurant. The staff and other patrons never stared and it seemed natural...was odd as I felt out of place but still enjoyed my meal.

Anyways, that's my two bits here.

Airaghardt
    Years ago in my Viking reenactment days, there were times I would use the London Underground in full kit, chain mail, sword, shield, the lot. It used to amuse me how people never made eye contact, like a Viking on the tube was an everyday thing. After one fight, I actually got my head cut open with a sword (Blunted but still heavy bits of steel). It was bleeding all the way home, I went to hospital minus sword, but still in chain mail and just said, I'd been hit by a sword and would they please just stitch it up, declining anesthetic of course.

On another occasion on the way home, I passed a gang of youths who turned round following me and making threats. I was wearing a long cloak, so they didn't see the sword, but it made a beautiful ring as I drew it and ran at them screaming my head off, they all turned and ran away. So wearing a kilt is probably at least less dangerous.

4. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Mel1721L For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow... hard to follow a Viking maelstrom story...

So far, be it at work or in public, IF I get any reactions at all they're either of the "Love the kilt" variety or curiosity over the tartan or my heritage. It usually strikes up a conversation either way.

Although the local Postmistress put me in a bit of a bind when she asked where my bagpipes were. As she's somewhat matronly, (and / or feeling her oats at that particular moment), my standard response of "under my kilt, love" went unused.

Discretion being the better part of valor, and all....
    #beamaker

6. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to inebrius For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I previously mentioned.
    Kilts are dead useful, and even my wife has got used to it, though my children won't allow me to accompany them to school like that
    (Russian being a bit medieval in this respect!).

I have found there is really nothing to touch it, for going swimming in any lake or bit of sea (eg. the Serpentine swiming club, being astonished with the novelty and ease of use aspect).

You just walk up to said bit of water, take off your shirt, wazz off the kilt and go straight in... (reverse order for coming back out, and then you can slip off the wet whatever you wore underneath, the moment you wrap it back round you and walk off)....
    Of course in this respect people know you are instant commando, but they then think it's perfectly normal, as so do you, as you warm up and dry out!
    There were plenty of jealous people!

As for the back injury bit.
    I will say more another time, because when I started all this lark, I didn't realise I had an old lumbar fracture.
    The kilt just worked to calm it down, then as the NMR and other stuff later revealed, I had in fact been doing the right thing all along!

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to estimaa For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by inebrius View Post
    Wow... hard to follow a Viking maelstrom story...

So far, be it at work or in public, IF I get any reactions at all they're either of the "Love the kilt" variety or curiosity over the tartan or my heritage. It usually strikes up a conversation either way.

Although the local Postmistress put me in a bit of a bind when she asked where my bagpipes were. As she's somewhat matronly, (and / or feeling her oats at that particular moment), my standard response of "under my kilt, love" went unused.

Discretion being the better part of valor, and all....
    I'm still a few inches away from donning the kilt again, but I seem to remember the comments were mostly positive, but I live in Spain where it's not normal attire and virtually never seen. I did get stupid giggling schoolgirls once, but nothing terrible has happened.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel1721L View Post
    I'm still a few inches away
    I must confess as a fluent Welsh speaker to being a little baffled by your signature.
    What do you mean?

Has this got something to do with S4C?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by estimaa View Post
    I must confess as a fluent Welsh speaker to being a little baffled by your signature.
    What do you mean?

Has this got something to do with S4C?
    Its the motto of the Ovate grade of the British Druid Order. It means "See nothing but the truth."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm.
    It's not usually used like that.
    hence the Q.

dim ond y gwir is usually used in court speak "nothing but the truth", hence the ref to the S4C series of that name.

Truth is gwirionedd. (noun pl - gwirioneddau).
    Oh well...
    Thus speaks a true expat.....

cymry gorau yw cymry oddicartre, as Max used to say!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by estimaa View Post
    hmmm.
    It's not usually used like that.
    hence the Q.

dim ond y gwir is usually used in court speak "nothing but the truth", hence the ref to the S4C series of that name.

Truth is gwirionedd. (noun pl - gwirioneddau).
    Oh well...
    Thus speaks a true expat.....

cymry gorau yw cymry oddicartre, as Max used to say!
    Well I only have Welsh ancestry, so don't speak Welsh, I can see your reasoning though. I've been in the grade for 4 years, I should make Druid in a year or so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well OK, I stop my Welsh lesson (gwers cymraeg).

If you want to learn (at least) some of the language of your fathers, you can do worse than get a phrase book, and listen to Caniadaeth y Cysegr or go to a cymanfa ganu.
    If you want to go deeper read a bit about Howell Harris, William Williams and the Welsh revivals.

A Welsh tartan idea to me is total pseudo nonsense.
    Luckily it's only clothes, I have some Scot+Irish mixed up all into my hotch potch, and I only care about comfort.

A synthetic Stuart black has saved me a fortune in jeans in the last 2 years, and I haven't yet spotted holes appearing in my knees!

15. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to estimaa For This Useful Post:

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast