X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AbuMaia View Post
    I've been looking into my family tree recently. My maternal grandfather was a Douglas, but I haven't been able to trace his lineage past his father. A little further up my tree (still on my mother's side, father's side was all English), I come across McCulley, 3 generations back. Again, I haven't been able to trace this lineage to determine which of 3 different clans they were a sept of. Going further back, 6 generations, I get to McConnell, which I do have information goes back to the 6th generation descendant of the fourth chief of Clan Donald South. So I'm 15 generations from the fourth Donald chief (6 from a McConnell daughter), 3 generations from a McCulley daughter, and one generation from a Douglas daughter.

So how far back is too far? Should I stick with Douglas, being the nearest, even though they're the branch I have the least information about?
    I'd go with the nearest major clan surname. If your mom's maiden name was Douglas (since your maternal grandfather is your mom's dad...), go with Douglas. Big clan, nice tartan, good participation in the clan tent scene at highland games. Done.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to davidlpope For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl R View Post

Or to put it another way, I'm not going to petition to join a "family" unless I've decided that I really like the people.
    Bingo. Meet the folks at the Lamont and MacMillan tents and see who is the best fit. I'm pulling for MacMillan...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody can buy and wear any tartan they choose, so have fun.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to CollinMacD For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since most people move around a bit you'll tend to find that most Scots can lay claim to a few tartans in their lineage. It is worth looking at regional tartans as well. As mentioned above, many people go for a tartan that they find most aesthetically pleasing.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Hirsty For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CollinMacD View Post
    Anybody can buy and wear any tartan they choose, so have fun.
    Well not quite. It would be more accurate to say, “Anybody can buy and wear NEARLY any tartan they choose.”

There are some restricted, few I grant you, tartans around. The Balmoral tartan is but one example.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

9. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Well not quite. It would be more accurate to say, “Anybody can buy and wear NEARLY any tartan they choose.”

There are some restricted, few I grant you, tartans around. The Balmoral tartan is but one example.

Maybe so on the primary market, but with Ebay and the secondary market you can purchase anything you wish..... and once you purchase it, who will stop you from wearing it? No Tartan Police that I know of, and I have to say, I disagree with all of this, and myself abide by the rules of tradition.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirsty View Post
    Since most people move around a bit you'll tend to find that most Scots can lay claim to a few tartans in their lineage. It is worth looking at regional tartans as well. As mentioned above, many people go for a tartan that they find most aesthetically pleasing.
    I was just thinking of this. A new branch of my family tree was recently revealed, and it includes some folk who lived in the Fife area for many generations, though are not of a major clan surname. I was about to go look to see if there was a Fife tartan. (Amusingly, the same branch also shows I'm a distant relation to Voldemort. )
    Last edited by AbuMaia; 15th February 19 at 12:53 PM.
    I believe myself to be always operating within reasonable boundaries of sanity.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to AbuMaia For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AbuMaia View Post
    I was about to go look to see if there was a Fife tartan.
    It looks like there are two district tartans (one recent, one from the late 1800s) plus several fashion tartans:
    https://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/qR...rchString=fife
    Trying to look good on a budget.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link. If I do get around to getting a Fife tartan someday, it'll probably be the Duke of Fife version.
    Last edited by AbuMaia; 15th February 19 at 03:50 PM.
    I believe myself to be always operating within reasonable boundaries of sanity.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    interesting inquiry to me, being a mix of Macs. While the genealogy is well recorded to MacDonald Clan Ranald, a historic portrait found online is a visual support; looks like my daughter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast