X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fabreze is fairly effective as a short term solution but it only lasts a day or two. It's smell is tolerable.
    Those ancient U Nialls from Donegal were a randy bunch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe vinegar? Have been using it, in a bowl, under smelly clothes before...

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Hauge For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hauge View Post
    Maybe vinegar? Have been using it, in a bowl, under smelly clothes before...
    This I find interesting. How do you do this? Just hang the jacket over a bowl full of vinegar?

I've basically soaked it in fabreeze, hung it out outside when ever it's sunny, sent it to the dry cleaners, and the rest of the time I keep in in an enclosed container with a bow-full of powder that is designed to remove the stink from trash bins. It is much, much better than when I got it, but the smell lingers.

Earlier today I added a cedar shoe tree to the container. I do need to get some odour-reducing cat litter and try that as well, but I'm open to almost anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah in a large plastic sack with the clothes, hanging with the opening downwards (like a tent), and the bowl under so as the fumes can reach the clothes. Then leave it for a weekend or so, before taking it out to breathe. With all You've been trying, i cant guarantee for success. But it doesn't harm...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/ho...ut-of-clothes/

like i siad...........vodak is the awsner
    “It has never been hard to tell the difference between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine.”

P.G. Wodehouse.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
    This I find interesting. How do you do this? Just hang the jacket over a bowl full of vinegar?

I've basically soaked it in fabreeze, hung it out outside when ever it's sunny, sent it to the dry cleaners, and the rest of the time I keep in in an enclosed container with a bow-full of powder that is designed to remove the stink from trash bins. It is much, much better than when I got it, but the smell lingers.

Earlier today I added a cedar shoe tree to the container. I do need to get some odour-reducing cat litter and try that as well, but I'm open to almost anything.
    My wife inherited a lightly used but heavily smoked-in car. We tried all of the above chemical fixes as well a soaking the interior in sprays specifically made to eliminate smoke smell. Fresh air did it in the end ... lots of it. It took about a year.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninehostages View Post
    My wife inherited a lightly used but heavily smoked-in car. We tried all of the above chemical fixes as well a soaking the interior in sprays specifically made to eliminate smoke smell. Fresh air did it in the end ... lots of it. It took about a year.
    I quite agree. A lot of fresh air 24/7 combined with a lot of time, months if not years, patience and luck might do the trick.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 31st July 21 at 09:00 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninehostages View Post
    The car dealership I worked for used an ozone generator to clear smoke smell from used cars. Usually overnight. I’m not sure how one finds one outside the industry. Perhaps a company that fire remediation for insurance companies? We had friends who had a fire. A company whisked the contents of the house off for treatment. Perhaps they have an ozone tank/room they use.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Brian Rose For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If You can solder, theres loads of Ionizisers to be made. A stack of diodes and capasitors...
    But remember, Ozone ain't the best for health, in larger quantities...

https://www.google.com/search?q=ioni...w=1408&bih=688

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hauge View Post
    If You can solder, theres loads of Ionizisers to be made. A stack of diodes and capasitors...
    But remember, Ozone ain't the best for health, in larger quantities...

https://www.google.com/search?q=ioni...w=1408&bih=688
    Neither is doing a lot of soldering.

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Ninehostages For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast