X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This thread is inspirational, yes there are weaving flaws, yes there are issues with stitching up the kilt, but it was all done at the hand of one person, flaws and all I'd be proud to wear that kilt, few are those here on this site who make their own kilts, fewer still are those who can say they wove the fabric. Wearing a kilt you made from tartan you wove yourself puts you in the 1/10 of 1% of kilt wearers.
    "Everything is within walking distance if you've got the time"

2. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to GrainReaper For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrainReaper View Post
    This thread is inspirational, yes there are weaving flaws, yes there are issues with stitching up the kilt, but it was all done at the hand of one person, flaws and all I'd be proud to wear that kilt, few are those here on this site who make their own kilts, fewer still are those who can say they wove the fabric. Wearing a kilt you made from tartan you wove yourself puts you in the 1/10 of 1% of kilt wearers.
    Thanks for the kind words! Never really thought of it in that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow

That is truly remarkable!
    Life without whisky is like a broken pencil...pointless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is truly impressive and a great family heirloom.
    Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadbelly View Post
    If people don't like it they can go sit on a thistle.

Nomad is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, fantastic work, only the second time I've seen a good picture of that tartan. Some pictures of the completed kilt in natural light would be great as it should make the green and blue stand out from the red.

Personally I think your next project (if this one hasn't killed you) should be to replace the red with the muted red as I love the darker blood red (venous rather than arterial), I would consider buying 8 yards of that in 16 oz weight.

Well done

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I can say is WOW!
    Welcome to the forum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Wow, fantastic work, only the second time I've seen a good picture of that tartan. Some pictures of the completed kilt in natural light would be great as it should make the green and blue stand out from the red.

Personally I think your next project (if this one hasn't killed you) should be to replace the red with the muted red as I love the darker blood red (venous rather than arterial), I would consider buying 8 yards of that in 16 oz weight.

Well done
    Thanks, Nomad.

A darker red was originally what I intended to use. Most (practically all) of my weaving yarn purchases are online, thus I am stuck having to judge color off of a computer/phone screen. When I chose the red color for this project, the site I ordered from showed it in a hue or two darker. When I received my order it turned out to be a true scarlet red. Rather than delaying the project by a week or two (this yarn comes from the UK) and having to shell out more money, I just decided to roll with it. Future projects will certainly be more accurate since I finally decided to purchase the $55 shade/color book from this supplier.

Nomad is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macleaniii View Post
    Future projects will certainly be more accurate since I finally decided to purchase the $55 shade/color book from this supplier.
    Look forward to your next adventures, $55 so that you an purchase more of their products, there's just something wrong about that situation. it would be okay if they refunded you from future purchases.

Good luck in your next project

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Look forward to your next adventures, $55 so that you an purchase more of their products, there's just something wrong about that situation. it would be okay if they refunded you from future purchases.

Good luck in your next project
    I chalk up the purchase as an investment. So far this supplier, despite having to be shipped from across the pond, still comes in cheaper by the pound than what I pay in the US for cotton. The picture below is only 1/10 of the color options I could have chosen. Being able to see the exact color helps picking the "right" color.

IMG_0404.jpg

As for my next adventure...I'm looking at a his and hers kilt in a tartan I designed/registered, "Midnight Sunrise," pleated to the orange stripe. Here's a pic of cloth I wove in100% merino wool and sent to Scotland to have a winter jacket and flat cap made.

IMG_0301.jpg

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to macleaniii For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12