X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritimer Gaen Awa View Post
    I think it is important to note, if there is not a culture of kilt wearing either through visible organized groups, or informal social gatherings, it might be difficult to be motivated to wear a kilt. I talked a buddy into buying a kilt for my renewal of wedding vows. This started a reason to kilt up. Having a partner in crime makes it easier socially. We now search for opportunities to sport a kilt and other collegues have joined us. We take the attitude to cellibrate our Scottish heritage, to be out there. Find a buddy, start small, before you know it you will have a clan......
    Do you need a partner in crime? I know a pub that gives me a free glass of Scotch when I wear one.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Farmer Jones For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Jones View Post
    Do you need a partner in crime? I know a pub that gives me a free glass of Scotch when I wear one.
    Now that is good for a chuckle. I do have a partner in crime, he drinks I don't. I do know a few lads that would would not pass an opportunity for a free one.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently my attitude is in error. I therefor must change my responses to the lady's question. Thank you all for the enlightenment.

Larry Dirr aka Lord Chainsaw of Maclaineshire

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Jones View Post
    I know a pub that gives me a free glass of Scotch when I wear one.
    Wow I like that.

A couple years ago I visited a pub that gave a discount, I think 20%, if you're kilted.

Many years ago I visited the Athena Oregon Highland Games and a beer truck pulled up with a tap on the side, free for anyone kilted. My buddy and I ended up passing out under a tree listening to top-notch piobaireachd (it was, perhaps, the only time this music made sense to me).
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

6. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Wow I like that.

A couple years ago I visited a pub that gave a discount, I think 20%, if you're kilted.

Many years ago I visited the Athena Oregon Highland Games and a beer truck pulled up with a tap on the side, free for anyone kilted. My buddy and I ended up passing out under a tree listening to top-notch piobaireachd (it was, perhaps, the only time this music made sense to me).
    As it happens I am a fairly sober person and a moderate drinker, who wishes to keep his driving licence, so the free Scotch and one 20 oz glass of 7.5% IPA is all I need for a good night out. However there was one time, which fortunately happened just 900 meters from my home, when a Canadian brewery decided to do something similar and with help I was able to get home to sleep it off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back on topic

So after the little alcoholic diversion, on the topic there are two questions to ask 1) does he want to? and 2) will you let him?
    Last edited by Farmer Jones; 29th April 16 at 09:57 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I've likened their attitude towards Highland Dress to the orchestral musicians' attitude towards their tuxedos: they call them "monkey suits" and wouldn't dream of wearing them as everyday dress.
    OTOH, it's also possible they simply don't want the attention and questions-- I would wear my kilt in public, but not any of my other dance costumes, for example. Wouldn't want to have to explain them to people.
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread has made me wonder, is there a "first time you wore the kilt" thread here? I did a search but didn't find anything. I think that is a productive conversation to have to those who might want to wear the kilt, let them know what it was like the first time out.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it must take more than a bit of something to wear a minority garment well outside its normal habitat and I take my hat off to those who do and sympathise with those who are plucking up the courage to have a go. Dammit it all, there are places in Scotland where more than a tad of courage is needed to wear the kilt!

So why are you so surprised that the kilt is not commonly seen outwith Scotland when its not even a common sight(for different reasons perhaps) in Scotland? I can well understand a non Scot hesitating over wearing the kilt.

So why do we wear the kilt?

Well, from a Scot's point of view its possibly, probably fairly easy to answer. Everyone else?

Well alright those of you who have answered that question well enough in your own mind to justify wearing the kilt and do, there must be many, more even, who have not come up with a strong enough reason to take that leap and don't. I personally respect that totally.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 30th April 16 at 01:47 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

12. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Attending the NASCAR race at the Talladega Super Speedway and have been kilted from Wednesday and will be through Monday. These Alabama folks are a friendly bunch and the females love to hug tight. And I enjoy every minute of it! No pictures though, all y'all will just have to use your imagination. By the way, I had a sheriff want his picture taken with me and, of course I obliged. Back to the OP please.

Larry Dirr

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast