X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies gents. As to the difference in materials I'm still deciding if it works for me, I like the contrast but Matt may be right. When I wear a waistcoat it is usually as an outer garment so I knew I wouldn't wear one with this jacket, given that I think the cut works. the fit of the jacket is great [aught to be right?] and the finish is excellent. Would I buy this jacket "off the rack" at $120... emphatically yes! If I could ever find one that fit like this at that price. This was a test purchase from this company. I wanted to test their service/quality [good], but they are a bit uncommunicative [the e-mails I sent, 2 in total after the order, received replies but it seemed to be computer generated] 4 weeks from order to delivery I thought was great. Also, I wanted to see if a less formal fabric [corduroy] would work with a more formal cut, still undecided on that. This jacket was made to measure so the fit is wonderful, I wish all my clothes fit as well.

Will I order from them again? Yes. what might I do different? They have hundreds of designs so perhaps a more conventional cut next time.

Rondo

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that jacket is pretty funky and I like it

In terms of a critique we can think of this in two ways: how to wear the jacket that rondo has and what to do differently with this jacket (or another one about to be made).

That jacket is cool but it isn't traditional. I would ditch the bonnet and sporran because they contrast in their association with tradition and history respectively. Bare-headed or with a different hat and a more plain, flat sporran would suit that jacket better because they would be a bit more streamlined.

If you do those two things, you could wear this as smart casual with a tee-shirt or shirt with collar unbuttoned underneath or a bit dressier with a mandarin collar shirt buttoned all the way up. It's too nice to be regular streetwear but not dressy enough for formal evening wear.

As for the construction of the jacket itself, I think their is a juxtaposition between the visible wale of the corduroy and the sleekness of satin. Leather or wool facings might suit that texture better. While a sporran cutaway is unnecessary because the waist of the jacket is high enough to be out of the way of the sporran, it would help to make it look more like a kilt jacket and less like a German trachten jacket.
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    double post deleted
    Last edited by rondo; 2nd May 12 at 08:56 AM. Reason: delete double post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks fine to me. Right length for the kilt. Not traditional maybe but I don't suppose you were looking for that. I do get the Teutonic influence and I agree with CMcG that the hat and jacket are a bit of a miss-match. I think you'd be better bare-headed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm gonna be the one guy in the minority so far who LIKES the bonnet and sporran with the jacket.
    As I indicated already, I think the whole vibe is a bit historical and Rob Roy-ish overall. Just my opinion.
    "Fide et Fortitudine"
    (fidelity & fortitude)
    ALBA GU BRAW!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always wear a hat...maybe I'll try a brown beret. I've been wearing balmorals and tams for ever even non-kilted.
    Rondo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am betting you could get a local tailor to swap the satin for something like brown alcantara or moleskin if you really wanted to. I think that is what I would want with the corduroy, but all sorts of things would work, like Matt said, leather would be nice. That Trachten look others have talked about would suggest that you pair either red or green trim with the brown jacket, but maybe just on the pockets. It's a multi-culti world and, as long as you tell the Kilt Kops you are working undercover, I think you will be fine.

But let's also think about taking it a different way- now that you know how they work, what about getting this jacket made up in moleskin or velvet, say blue or even dark green, with similar facings as what you have? Or black. Or red with black, if you don't mind people associating you with a certain generous bearded dude.

Speaking of beards, I cut mine off entirely recently, which I seem to do about every six months. It looks like you chopped a major portion from yours. Any comments on that?
    Some take the high road and some take the low road. Who's in the gutter? MacLowlife

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually MacL, my beard is pulled into a ponytail in these pics. I do that when I ride my Motorcycle or am working in the kitchen. I still have the full 13 or so inches. The next jacket in this cut will black wool or black velvet or silk. They have a few more traditional cuts that might be more like an Argyle or a Wallace. For my purposes in testing the performance of the company in question and the quality of the product, and as an experiment with the Mandarin cut I am quite pleased.
    Rondo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest barbarian fur for the cuffs and lapels, Rondo, and split your beard into a trifork.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I've lived with it for a few days and here is what I think:
    1. It won't dress up to black tie standards [black corduroy might but not the brown]
    2. It works well for less formal evening wear.
    3. It can be worn during the day but is probably too formal for casual day wear [but I'm going to wear it anyway]
    4. Seems odd the folks that thought it looked German...its definitely Mandarin/Nehru [to my eye]

The look has grown on me...I feel quite comfortable in the jacket and confidence is key, I think. So, for the time being this is my look...love it? hate it? its all cool as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate all the replies.
    Rondo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast