X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Real or fake sporran

Hi

I bid on the following sporran and won. Now I've been reading about fake sporrans and I'm worried. Can someone take a look and let me know if it looks genuine and worth the $150. Thanks

link below

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/122085944735?ul_noapp=true

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it's really a sporran; what's your concern?
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bill,

thanks for your reply.

It looks like a sporran but just wanted to check it's a genuine one with correct tassle lengths etc and not a cheap fake. I found the following article on fake sporrans. This one looks old which I like. Any sporran experts know anything about this one?

http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/.../t-120102.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I can't say exactly what it purports to be since the E-bay listing doesn't say. All I'm saying is yes, it's a sporran. Is it consistent within itself? I think some of our military historians will tell you shortly, so stay tuned!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 5cents;
    Looks like a nice piece and the seller has high score. Seems the only thing to authenticate from the description is "antique". There's a range that might be difficult to define? Of course, if it arrives and its costume hair..well then you'll know.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Taskr For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a nice-looking vintage silver-plated, horse hair civilian sporran. Adult sized, with a nice, generic "Scotland" clansman's badge affixed. Most of the plating has worn off, as one would expect with a sporran of this age, but the patina is quite nice.

I think it's worth the price you paid.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to davidlpope For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a very nice sporran!

Yes an authentic piece in every way.

That was the style in the 19th century for Highland accoutrements: fabricated out of sheet metal and then engraved.

Usually one sees the clan badge engraved into the flat surface, rather than a cast piece attached as in your example.

Once you get a couple decades into the 20th century cast accoutrements (sporran cantles, belt buckles, sgian and dirk fitments, etc) become more common.

The metal, by the way, was usually referred to in British publications as "white metal" which meant silver-toned.

The most common metal is what we call "German Silver". It actually has no silver in it. It's often called "nickel" but it's not pure nickel but an alloy.

The most expensive stuff would be made the same way but using Sterling Silver.

Let's see if I can attach a photo from your listing

Here's another vintage sporran (probably in the 1850-1920 range) with a similar shape and method of construction

Last edited by OC Richard; 22nd August 16 at 06:28 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

11. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks real to me but you will have to see when you get it.

Looks real to me. You can see the tarnish on the silver to prove that it is old. As to weather the horse hair is real. You will have to feel it when you get it. There are just somethings that you can not tell from a picture on like. Hopefully it is real and in as good of shape as it looks.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Moiraknits For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be surprised if the metal was Sterling Silver, as the vast majority were German Silver, which was the standard metal for Highland accoutrements.

A Chief, perhaps, would have the Silver!
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That certainly looks genuine to me. A nice sporran and we'll worth the money.
    The Kilt is my delight !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast