X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It turned out to be pretty nice this remembrance day only -8 so we were all really comfortable (my hands were a bit frosty) I ended up not even needing my jacket. Thanks for all the fantastic advice I am sure I will use it in the future

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Styckbow For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jthk View Post
    Good morning, everybody.

There's a big difference between wearing trousers and wearing lightweight merino wool leggings in my experience. I have been known to wear such leggings under a kilt when the weather gets too cold. The leggings would take the place of underwear and doesn't limit my enjoyment of wearing a kilt.

Now, if it gets too cold, I'll wear heavyweight merino wool leggings ... maybe the kilt but most likely trousers. I'm not willing to suffer frostbite or worse for my clothing choices.

Best,
    Jonathan
    We agree, to a point. Suffering in the cold just to wear a kilt is an exercise in impracticality for the sake of vanity. I'm just of the opinion that the kilt is not an all-weather garment. Below a certain temperature threshold, it simply makes more sense to wear trousers (and insulated ones at that). Obviously not everyone feels this way, but I would feel a bit silly wearing full leggings under a kilt like King George IV and his pink tights. For me personally, the kilt should be worn with bare knees visible. If it's too cold for that, it's too cold for the kilt.

4. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    We agree, to a point. Suffering in the cold just to wear a kilt is an exercise in impracticality for the sake of vanity. I'm just of the opinion that the kilt is not an all-weather garment. Below a certain temperature threshold, it simply makes more sense to wear trousers (and insulated ones at that). Obviously not everyone feels this way, but I would feel a bit silly wearing full leggings under a kilt like King George IV and his pink tights. For me personally, the kilt should be worn with bare knees visible. If it's too cold for that, it's too cold for the kilt.
    I have been asked several times in the past "Aren't your knees cold?" My answer is always something like this " I'm wearing 8 yards of wool, how cold are your knees?" People generally admit that their knees are cold in jeans. At least in a kilt just above my knee is warm.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    I have been asked several times in the past "Aren't your knees cold?" My answer is always something like this " I'm wearing 8 yards of wool, how cold are your knees?" People generally admit that their knees are cold in jeans. At least in a kilt just above my knee is warm.
    McMurdo,

Agreed. I have noticed my very chilly knees on several occasions when wearing jeans. I find it highly interesting how my body adjusts to the weather over time. As an example, as the weather cools, I find merino wool boxer briefs, nice thick wool socks, and appropriate footwear along with a warm'n'toasty upper body compensates nicely for the bare knees. But, as has been stated, there comes a temperature where I simply don't wish to put my body in danger and I cover everything up. But ... happily noted ... that rarely happens but a few times per year.

Best,
    Jonathan

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    People generally admit that their knees are cold in jeans. At least in a kilt just above my knee is warm.
    No argument from me! I spent today (and will spend tomorrow morning) on a construction jobsite in freezing weather in Dallas with ~25mph winds. Jeans are just cold! I have to wear merino wool leggings (Smartwool brand) under them, just to keep the cold denim from touching my skin. So I'm definitely not saying that jeans alone are warm.

Wool leggings make for a great base layer under an outer shell like denim. In the cold, I'd probably rather wear a kilt with bare legs than jeans over bare legs. But jeans over leggings win the day.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did 6 years of daily kilt wearing, there were some cold days. This year I've been wearing the kilt daily since Burns Night. It is far warmer to wear long johns under pants than bare skin but nothing is quite as warm as a 22oz military kilt with wool hose, except of course your knees.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neloon View Post
    A story frequently told that is total rubbish.
    It's amazing how many times I've been told that story over the last 40 years. I've wondered if there's anything to it.

It's so difficult to disprove such things once and for all.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    It's amazing how many times I've been told that story over the last 40 years. I've wondered if there's anything to it.

It's so difficult to disprove such things once and for all.
    A mirror on the end of a stick is another myth. Why would men, who were quite used to seeing each other naked, have resorted to such strange coyness? Possibly practices varied over regiments but my father, who was in the Gordons in WW1, said that the inspecting officer simply issued the command "Prove" and kilt aprons were lifted.

Alan

15. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    I am with this. I won't wear a skirt in cold weather... I won't go so far to say I won't wear one in weather where I wouldn't wear shorts, but close. I feel the same about a kilt... I'd only do it if I had to, and only with something very nice and warm, and as long down my thighs as possible, underneath.

Could you get away with wearing some kind of warm tights (leggings) underneath? Yes, the tights would show at the knees, but would you rather be perfect or warm? I don't think anyone would grudge you wearing such a thing. (I can get away with wearing tan leggings/tights because I can find them as a woman; you're not so lucky and will probably have to go with black or white, but who cares?) Or, some kind of knee warmers, even homemade (cut up old wide socks? Buy very narrow legwarmers?)

(And do I get cold in winter in trousers? Yup. Usually I wear knit or fleece leggings underneath. I also used to be notorious around the office for showing up wearing my snowpants... mostly practical, especially when I had a 30-mile drive to work; if I got stranded or had to get out of the car to make a repair, I wanted to be prepared.)

Quote Originally Posted by Garth View Post
    I wish I was there. 35 degrees here in Western Australia.
    And I wish I was *there*-- 35 degrees here in Michigan, only that's in Fahrenheit. I miss Thailand's 35-degree days and would far rather make liberal use of my shower and washing machine than my ice scraper and mittens!
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If any men are searching for tan tights, per Katia's suggestion, I can suggest that the plus-size women's pantyhose section of Wal-Mart is a good place to look. I have not bought tan hose there, but have purchased white hose for use in Medieval costumes from time to time. It's much easier and cheaper than trying to order mens tights at a dance supply store.

However, I'm still not ready for tights under the kilt. If it's that cold, I'll wear pants, preferably made of wool.

Andrew

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast