X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi there

Hello. I noticed that there were a couple of people from Calgary on here. Does anyone do kilt nights or head out to see any Celtic bands around town?
    [FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="2"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Jason

Here's to a long life and a merry one, A quick death and an easy one,
    A pretty girl and an honest one, A cold beer and another one.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

kiltedwolfman
    Hey bud, I like to get a kilt night together once in a while when the schedule permits. Let me know though if you are up around Edmonton and I'm sure we can sort something out.

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not from Canada, but wanted to say welcome to the forum!!
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -- Thomas Paine

Scottish-American Military Society Post 1921

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiltedwolfman View Post
    Hey bud, I like to get a kilt night together once in a while when the schedule permits. Let me know though if you are up around Edmonton and I'm sure we can sort something out.

Cheers

Nice to meet you Kiltedwolfman. I have lots of family up there still so that would be great to get together. On a side note I noticed that there is one store in town; "Scottish Imports". Have you been? How are their prices? I'm looking to get a few more things like a sporran, PC jacket, etc. Are there any other places I should know about? I would also look at second hand items too. Thanks.

A pretty girl and an honest one, A cold beer and another one.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by longhuntr74 View Post
    Not from Canada, but wanted to say welcome to the forum!!

Nice to meet you longhuntr74. Hope to talk again soon. Thanks for the welcome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello and welcome from the highlands of BC. We were just out in Calgary over Christmas visiting our son.

Laurie
    The secret of happiness is freedom,
    and the secret of freedom, courage

Thucydides

kiltedwolfman
    Scottish imports isn't too bad, but not much on selection. Most things they sell kilt wise come from Burnets and Struth out of Barrie.
    Ask some of the folks here for info on places to get good bargains on kit from. There's a wealth of thrifty shoppers lurking around LOL. Aside from jackets and the actual kilts I tend to make most of my add ons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, I'm in Calgary. I don't know of any kilt nights, well, other than Burns Club Burns Night. Let me know if you find one.

There are two highland shops in Calgary. The Highland Gift Shoppe is perched precariously across the "street" from the ski jumps at Canada Olympic Park. I'd go there before the other--convenient to my home and the staff is great.

I agree with kiltedwolfman that it is worthwhile to price stuff out online before buying locally. I've bought online from Burnets and Struth, and they were great. I've ordered from one or two sites in Scotland as well.
    Last edited by jkdesq; 6th January 10 at 05:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkdesq View Post
    Hey, I'm in Calgary. I don't know of any kilt nights, well, other than Burns Club Burns Night. Let me know if you find one.

There are two highland shops in Calgary. The Highland Gift Shoppe is perched precariously across the "street" from the ski jumps at Canada Olympic Park. I'd go there before the other--convenient to my home and the staff is great.

I agree with kiltedwolfman that it is worthwhile to price stuff out online before buying locally. I've bought online from Burnets and Struth, and they were great. I've ordered from one or two sites in Scotland as well.

Hi jkdesq. I'll let you know for sure. I know of one other guy who wears a kilt and one more who is into it but doesn't have one yet. If I don't find one we may have to start one. Have you been to Burns Club Burns Night? I would like to go but I don't think I have the right jacket. Are there any other Burns nights around? I did a google search but didn't find any.

I have been to the highland shop on 17th and rented an outfit once from the one at COP. I would like to find a Prince Charlie for a reasonable price and would even go second hand if it was in good shape. Burnets & Struth looked not too bad for PC's; I'm a bit nervous about ordering a jacket online in terms of getting the right size.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, I'll be going to my fifth Burns Club Burns Night on January 22. It is a lot of fun but $$$.

So, I guess I lied. If Burns nights are kilt nights, then I do know of another. My wife and I are going to the Schiehallion Society's Burns Night on January 16 at the Danish Canadian Club. $60 per person. You can buy tickets at Scottish Imports (just called them--they don't have any today). Apparently, you need to buy tickets by January 12. It is a sleeper compared to the Burns Club one ...

The Burns Club dinner, I wouldn't bother wearing a kilt unless you have an evening jacket to go with it--unless you don't mind being the one guy, in a room of 1000, who stands out even though 500 other guys are wearing kilts. Schiehallion, you could get away with a more casual look.

I bought my Bonnie Prince Charlie off Ebay. I think it was $200 cheaper than buying locally. It isn't perfectly tailored, but few (other than within the first year of ownership) wear perfectly tailored BPCs. Maybe try one or two on at a local shop, get an idea of the right size. Then go home and order online.
    Last edited by jkdesq; 8th January 10 at 02:16 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast