X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the best reaction you've gotten to your wearing a kilt?

Today as I was walking home from church a carful of twenty-something girls drove past me and one of the girls stuck her head out of the window and yelled "Ow, baby!" Needless to say that put a smile on my almost 50 year old face.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 16 yr old daughter doesn't want to be seen with me in a kilt . Some people's kids.
    I wear them anyway.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two favorites. When I wore a kilt in public in my little town for the first time I was in our local True Value hardware store (Utilikilts woodland camo original). My 20 years younger than me boss saw me and broke out laughing so hard he couldn't stop - actually was doubled over with laughter. An interesting response since the year before for Halloween he came to work in full drag.

And from a stranger, was in Albuquerque and stopped at a supermarket to get some stuff. As I walked through the parking lot a drunken panhandler saw me and exclaimed happily and loudly, "Hey Switzerland!!" Don't think anyone will ever top that one for me.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best reaction?

Okay, back in the days when I didn't even have a modern kilt yet (for whatever weird reason, I decided to start with the late 1500s and work my way forward from there), I went -- I thought -- to a Scottish event in Marin County north of San Francisco. I took along a couple of other Bujinkan instructor friends, a married couple.

Somehow I hadn't found out that the event had been canceled.

So we ended up going for brunch to a Marin restaurant, my friends in their civvies and me in my belted plaid with pampooties and dirk.

As we sat down, my friends told me "We were watching people's reactions as we walked to our table, and we could SO get you a date in this place!"

Then our waitress came, 20-something and lovely and starry-eyed and blushing, and thanking ME for blessing (her words) the establishment with my presence.

I thanked her for her kindness with a "Blessed be, and merry meet!".

We had a fantastic meal. As for the rest, well. . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_cA1CRAmBA
    "It's all the same to me, war or peace,
    I'm killed in the war or hung during peace."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best reaction: Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, walking a few feet behind two ladies. Coming the other way was one of their frineds. They exchanged pleasantries. Then, after their friend was well behind me, both ladies turned to perhaps add a parting word. They never got that word out. A huge smile graced both their faces and, in long drawn-out words, sighed, "Heyyyyyy therrrrrre. Nice legs."

Weirdest: At the mall, two women (again) stopped me to ask if I was part of a group performing somewhere. When I told them I just like kilts, one asked if she could touch my sporran. "Ummmm. Sure, I think." I guess she was attracted to the leather.
    [SIZE="2"]Cheers,[/SIZE]
    [COLOR="Sienna"][B]Dennis[/B][/COLOR]
    Wood Badge
    C6-439-11-1

3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    2 words... Free Drinks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wearing my Maclachlan hunting tartan heading in to a local grocery store to pick up some stuff for dinner and I noticed two young men who work at the store watching me. Despite the fact that I'm in my 50s and worked around screaming jet aircraft for many years, my hearing is pretty good and I heard one young lad whisper to the other, "Dude, he's wearing a skirt!" He was even more surprised when he found out that I knew his dad (a MacDonald) and that he should be sporting a kilt himself! Later that year I spotted the young man and his dad at the MO Tartan Day and both were wearing kilts!
    "just as the Son of man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many." Matthew 20:28
    Clan Maclachlan
    Clan Hanna

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The gorgeous 20-something that kept wanting to dance with me at our last kilt-night. My wife was highly amused...!
    Brian

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyR View Post
    2 words... Free Drinks.
    A big + 1 on that !
    Order of the Dandelion, The Houston Area Kilt Society, Bald Rabble in Kilts, Kilted Texas Rabble Rousers, The Flatcap Confederation, Kilted Playtron Group.
    "If you’re going to talk the talk, you’ve got to walk the walk"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My daughters used to perform Irish Step Dancing every March in several nursing homes in our area. Often times I would wear my kilt just for fun. On one occasion a women in her 90's approached me with tears in her eyes "I was born in Scotland and I haven't seen a kilt since I was a wee girl and my grandfather wore one - God Bless you." Made my day.
    President, Clan Buchanan Society International

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast