X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website Celtic Croft website
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information Houston Kiltmakers Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Yes, Anne, Sir Ivar's jacket appears to have a short chain closure, similar to the way mes jackets are held.
    Given that he's wearing a belt, I wonder if the chain is actually a watch strap as this one of Prince Henry of Prussia, 1895.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prince Henry of Prussia 1895.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	38763

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Given that he's wearing a belt, I wonder if the chain is actually a watch strap as this one of Prince Henry of Prussia, 1895.
    Hmm, could be, I suppose. I assumed since it was directly behind the toggles on the front that it was connected behind them, but it very well might be a watch chain.

From a strictly functional standpoint, I would think that wearing a dirk belt over the top of an open doublet would be a recipe for constantly having to fiddle with it to make the front stay in place, unlike most closed doublets that are worn with belts over them. Turning, sitting, etc., might want to pull the jacket more open in the front if it's only held in place by the belt. A short chain would help somewhat in maintaining the gap. Also, I would assume that it would be difficult to pull a watch out and stuff it back into the waistcoat when the jacket is cinched up with a belt. And I don't know if the modern "rule" about watches not being appropriate with evening wear would have applied in his era (mid-20th century). So while it could be a watch chain, I would see it as making more sense as a chain closure to the jacket. But at this point it's anybody's guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back on the topic of weathered / "ancient" tartans (have we perhaps strayed a wee bit? ) I'm not a fan with red tartans in particular. I'm not anxious to wear a generally pink kilt.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster, lover of God, people (most of them!) dogs, joy, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, dreamer, traditionalist, bon-vivant, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Sinclair.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Back on the topic of weathered / "ancient" tartans I'm not a fan with red tartans in particular. I'm not anxious to wear a generally pink kilt.
    I'm curious about that. I used to work in a kilt shop and we had a pile of tartan sample books from various mills (House Of Edgar, Lochcarron, Strathmore) and none of their red tartans were pink.

The Ancient red tartans were red-orange which I didn't care for.

The Weathered red tartans were quite nice, the red was a cool muted red, tending slightly to claret.

The tartans of prominent Grade One bands tend to be copied by lower-grade bands, such as the Weathered MacLean Of Duart worn by World Champions Triumph Street, which became a standard Pipe Band tartan all over the world.

Last edited by OC Richard; 21st May 20 at 06:40 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    a chain between two toggles
    This sort of closure has become very popular with the Argyll jackets worn by Pipe Bands in recent years.

With bands in general, but especially with Drum Majors and Tenor Drummers who need full range of motion from their arms.

It solves a problem: button your jacket, and your range of motion is restricted. Unbutton your jacket and it flies all over the place and looks a mess.

What these new Argylls have is a button hole on each side. Then you have a chain with a square silver button on both ends.

Here you can see some of the black Argylls with this chain system

I think this same thing can be seen on some Victorian jackets, I'll have to look.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 21st May 20 at 07:15 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I'm curious about that. I used to work in a kilt shop and we had a pile of tartan sample books from various mills (House Of Edgar, Lochcarron, Strathmore) and none of their red tartans were pink.

The Ancient red tartans were red-orange which I didn't care for.

The Weathered red tartans were quite nice, the red was a cool muted red, tending slightly to claret.

The tartans of prominent Grade One bands tend to be copied by lower-grade bands, such as the Weathered MacLean Of Duart worn by World Champions Triumph Street, which became a standard Pipe Band tartan all over the world.

Yup. The ones in those pictures are nice. The ones I can find from the Kilt shops, much less so, and no, I don't like the orange either.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster, lover of God, people (most of them!) dogs, joy, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, dreamer, traditionalist, bon-vivant, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Sinclair.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a weathered tartan but a predominately Brown tartan, here with a Claret Prince Charlie, along with other tartans and Black jackets.

9. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Between me and my brother we have Macfarlane in all 3 variants (Modern, Ancient and Weathered).

My favourite of the 3 is the Weathered which I actually think does look pink in some lights (although maybe not so much in this photo) - and I didn't much care for the Ancient (which is certainly orange) either, until I snagged one for 100 on gumtree, although I try and tone it down a bit by pairing it with more earthy colours.
    Last edited by Tomo; 23rd May 20 at 01:30 AM.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    Not a weathered tartan but a predominately Brown tartan, here with a Claret Prince Charlie, along with other tartans and Black jackets.
    Smashing as always.

You should be proud how your tartan holds its own in the company of those very old tried-and-true tartans. It's not an easy thing to do.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smashing as always.

You should be proud how your tartan holds its own in the company of those very old tried-and-true tartans. It's not an easy thing to do.
    Thank you Richard, I am still very proud of the entire project.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678