X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickHughes123 View Post
    I have a plain black Balmoral. I might get a plain black Glengarry. But never diced.
    I hope you don't mind me asking, but why " never diced"? Is that just a personal preference on the look, or something else?
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

PatrickHughes123 is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I hope you don't mind me asking, but why " never diced"? Is that just a personal preference on the look, or something else?
    No. The reason I don't wear dicing on a Balmoral or Glengarry is because of the legend that it shows allegiance to Britain. I am loyal to Scotland and Scotland only.

If I ever was to get a bonnet with something extra, it would either have a tartan band going round it or blue/white dicing to symbolize allegiance to Scotland.

I'm Scottish by the way.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm Scottish by the way.
    So am I.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    So am I.
    Further, you might throw in for added effect the fact that you are in the HIGHLANDS.
    My Clans: Guthrie, Sinclair, Sutherland, MacRae, McCain-Maclachlan, MacGregor-Petrie, Johnstone, Hamilton, Boyd, MacDonald-Alexander, Patterson, Thompson. Welsh:Edwards, Williams, Jones. Paternal line: Brandenburg/Prussia.
    Proud member: SCV/Mech Cav, MOSB. Camp Commander Ft. Heiman #1834 SCV Camp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    Further, you might throw in for added effect the fact that you are in the HIGHLANDS.
    It is weird for me alright, consider I am a Lowland Scot. Hilarious how people love it when you tell them you are from the Highlands but don't care that you are from the Lowlands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was meant to be humorous. Personally, I have ancestors from the Highlands (including Sutherland and Caithness, about as geographically far North as you can go in mainland Scotland), all the way down to the borders region. More than a few actually came to the U.S. directly from Glasgow too, as a matter of fact.
    My Clans: Guthrie, Sinclair, Sutherland, MacRae, McCain-Maclachlan, MacGregor-Petrie, Johnstone, Hamilton, Boyd, MacDonald-Alexander, Patterson, Thompson. Welsh:Edwards, Williams, Jones. Paternal line: Brandenburg/Prussia.
    Proud member: SCV/Mech Cav, MOSB. Camp Commander Ft. Heiman #1834 SCV Camp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    It was meant to be humorous. Personally, I have ancestors from the Highlands (including Sutherland and Caithness, about as geographically far North as you can go in mainland Scotland), all the way down to the borders region. More than a few actually came to the U.S. directly from Glasgow too, as a matter of fact.
    I'm from Glasgow. But I guess you knew that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Orvis View Post
    I don't believe the dicing on Scottish bonnets was originally indicative of loyalty to anything, and that information to the contrary is probably some of the romantic balderdash that came out of the 19th century (or later).

Diced bonnets originally appeared in the late 1760's as an embellishment on the bonnets of the Scottish Highland regiments in the British Army. The bonnets of the original Highland regiments (1730s-1740s) were plain blue flat bonnets. The black cockade was worn as an indication of loyalty to the ruling House of Hanover (Jacobites adopted the French white cockade to indicate their loyalty to the House of Stuart). During the 1750's, military Highland flat bonnets were embellished with a red cloth band appliqued around the opening. By the late 1760's, Highland regimental bonnets were undergoing change - they had knitted diced bands (red/green/white) and were stiffer, standing up taller. They were embellished with black ostrich plumes held under the black cockades - regimental badges didn't exist yet. By the 1790's, this style had become popular with those Highland lairds and other civilians who liked to wear Highland bonnets. Regimental dicing styles on feather bonnets began to diverge (red/black/white, red/white, red/black/green) as regimental distinctions. Regimental badges began to be added over the cockade. The bonnet also underwent further metamophosis, with fore-and-aft creases being added to ultimately create the Glengarry style bonnet (as opposed to the Balmoral style).
    Yes, but there is something that I don't think is quite right. I get the impression that Glengarries were originally a civilian cap, and they were adopted into the army in the 1840s. Glengarry did have a regiment in the late 18th Century but they were disbanded. Yes, you are right about the formation, the blue bonnet cap was pushed into a sort of boat shape as it was seen as a better and more efficient shape.

Glengarry's regiment was called the Glengarry Fencibles.
    Last edited by PatrickHughes123; 12th June 18 at 12:53 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It can't be ignored that some sources, including the Scottish Tartans Authority, says the dicing dates well before the union of Scotland and England even took place.
    I just thought I would remind everyone of this.

The Scottish Tartans Authority is a trustworthy source.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456