X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Caithness, Highlands, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going a tad off topic for a second, but is there something like a quick primer on California? Not only am I visiting but I'm in process of immigrating via marriage. I'm kind of aware by being online and tech savvy the basics of the situation, or so I thought but now I'm not sure.

I've gone with an embossed leather day sporran and a good quality ex-hire one to tide me over until I can suitably build my collection there and elsewhere.
    Last edited by RecQuery; 5th December 18 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Spelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RecQuery View Post
    Going a tad off topic for a second, but is there something like a quick primer on California? Not only am I visiting but I'm in process of immigrating via marriage. I'm kind of aware by being online and tech savvy the basics of the situation, or so I thought but now I'm not sure.

I've gone with an embossed leather day sporran and a good quality ex-hire one to tide me over until I can suitably build my collection there and elsewhere.
    A quick primer on California would definitely be opening a can of worms.

Every part of CA has a different idea of things.

To save bandwidth, I'll just link these images rather than posting them.

CA according to San Diego: http://www.91x.com/wp-content/upload...alifornia1.jpg

CA according to Los Angeles: http://assets3.thrillist.com/v1/image/1329818

CA according to San Francisco: https://external-preview.redd.it/vCZ...=webp&1698e874

These maps are obviously tongue-in-cheek, but also somewhat accurate for how we view other parts of CA (though I don't know of anyone who would consider San Jose to be San Diego North).

And even within specific parts of California, there are big differences. For example, in San Diego County, San Diego City is a very different world than East County San Diego which is very different from North County San Diego.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YOJiMBO20 View Post
    And even within specific parts of California, there are big differences. For example, in San Diego County, San Diego City is a very different world than East County San Diego which is very different from North County San Diego.
    Thanks, that clears it up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PM sent on California.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you read between the lines of most of the advice you have gotten so far, it should be that we tend to think not in "packages" when building an outfit. They will lead to to thing of a variety of things that work well together.

There is a widespread misconception that the kilt is some sort of uniform. That there is a 'proper' or 'preferred' or 'accepted' way to look at kilt outfits. The converse of accepted is that there would be something that is not accepted. About the only rule is "Pleaty part goes in the back".

This is probably due to the rental shop way of thinking. They can have only a limited amount of stock so they pick a few 'standard' items and order them in a lot of sizes.

What the members of X Marks will do is try to lead you away from this sort of "package" thinking and more towards building an outfit from items you already have or what you may already wear with pants.

Sure a jacket is normally cut specifically for a kilt and you don't normally need kilt hose or a sporran with trousers. But any shirt in your closet will work and any shoes that you already have are fine.

The X Marks members will also lead you away from the "Matchy matchy' thinking. They will try to get you to think of color-coordinating instead of matching colors. In fact, in the UK, is seems they go out of their way not to match. They don't match color, pattern or texture. But they do color-coordinate as a whole outfit.

Getting away from thinking of a kilt outfit as a 'package' opens up a lot of options you may not have thought of and sure lessens the stress of being afraid of doing something wrong.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you show us, RecQuery? We would love to see what you selected. And...congratulations! On your upcoming marriage, that is . Will you be able to come home frequently?

Caithness, Highlands, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    The X Marks members will also lead you away from the "Matchy matchy' thinking. They will try to get you to think of color-coordinating instead of matching colors. In fact, in the UK, is seems they go out of their way not to match. They don't match color, pattern or texture. But they do color-coordinate as a whole outfit.
    I must admit, I'm still trying to get away from the matching stuff up mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    Can you show us, RecQuery? We would love to see what you selected. And...congratulations! On your upcoming marriage, that is . Will you be able to come home frequently?
    Thanks, actually got married back in November. When I get the sporrans I'll take pictures and post them. I'm still waiting for the paperwork to be processed but I'll be travelling back and forth until then.
    Last edited by RecQuery; 6th December 18 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Spelling

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's an exercise you might try to break away from matchy-matchy.

Without really looking and not much thought, take a shirt out and set it aside. Some time later, remind yourself to get some socks -don't look at the shirt and don't bother recalling which it was. Later, grab a tie. Again, no thought to the shirt or socks. Gather up sweater or jacket and pants in the same way. Over a couple of days, even.

When you have all your selections, put them all together. They probably don't match at all and might not have been your selections if you were considering putting an outfit together, but it is entirely likely they compliment each other because they are the result of your choices when you acquired each of them. We all lean toward co-ordination.

So, in deciding on purchase, don't worry too much about what colour or shade or tone other things are. Look at the item for what it is and let the decision rest on what you think of that item on its own. "Do I like this shade of blue, and the quality of this flash", "These hose are red, but I don't like the knit. These others the weight/knit I like, and the colour is agreeable"

The mornings I've just pulled things together without much care at all, the kilt outfit looks just fine. Though, I will admit, it is good I pair the hose in the drawer (thankfully didn't make it out the door from an unfolded laundry basket selection one morning)