X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A couple of early C18th Targes

Thought those that are interested in weapons and re-enacting might be interested in the reverse of these two early C18th targes.

Oak planking overlapped at 90 degrees. The wood was originallly covered in a green cloth which can just been seen surviving in a couple of places.

No 2. Retaining most of the original red cloth backing and upper arm strap. Finely tooled with studs of silver not the usual brass
    Last edited by figheadair; 8th February 11 at 12:43 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are awesome, are they for sale? They should of course never be used again....very nice find!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats a nice find. these have seen better days but i guess if i was that old i wouldn't look any better.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Korvyn View Post
    Thats a nice find. these have seen better days but i guess if i was that old i wouldn't look any better.
    Both were apparently used as butter churn covers during the Proscription era. The backs are somewhat tattie but the fronts are amazingly well preserved.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by watsonclan View Post
    These are awesome, are they for sale?
    Hardly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, these are truly amazing. Do you know any of the history behind them? Used in the 45' maybe? I have been keeping an eye out for many years and they seem to be far more rare than same period broadswords.... Do you collect these sorts of things or do you work for a museum or something? Man, I would love to see some more pictures of the fronts. Definitely made my day when I saw those.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by watsonclan View Post
    Wow, these are truly amazing. Do you know any of the history behind them? Used in the 45' maybe? I have been keeping an eye out for many years and they seem to be far more rare than same period broadswords.... Do you collect these sorts of things or do you work for a museum or something? Man, I would love to see some more pictures of the fronts. Definitely made my day when I saw those.
    I've posted low-res images of the front views into the FP.

These are in private hands and belong to the family that has always owned them. The chief was not out during the '45 so one or both probably wouldn't have been used then but the previous chief was out at the '15, where he was wounded, and '19 Rising so one or other, or both, may have been used then.

I've been working as an advisor to the family Trust. They have some incredible artifacts.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it my imagination, or do the fronts of these targes present a slightly domed or convex profile? Most photos of original targes I've seen show them as being flat, though some period paintings also show the "domed" look....
    Brian

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Incredible, the fronts are amazing...You are a lucky man to be involved in such matters. Anytime you have photos of ANY cool Scottish antiques please feel free to share them as I am subscribing to this thread.

Thanks again

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsheal View Post
    Is it my imagination, or do the fronts of these targes present a slightly domed or convex profile? Most photos of original targes I've seen show them as being flat, though some period paintings also show the "domed" look....
    No, there're definitely flat.

What intrigues me is the first patterns of the first concentric circle outside the central boss ring. You'll notice that the design alternates trefoil - knot work - trefoil until the bottom (of the picture) when there are two knot work sections (albeit different designs) adjacent to each other whereas I’d have thought that there ought to be a trefoil between them, other than of course that there’s no room. Surely someone with the skill to do this sort of work would have balanced the designs? A mistake, by design or am I missing something?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast