X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seem to recall a possibly apocryphal story that the sgain dubh was worn in a pocket under the armpit, only being placed visible in the hose when entering someone's home (or some such enclosed area). The idea being to be upfront with your host that you did have something pointy, and not concealing it.
    Probably been debunked by those whose heads are screwed on tighter than mine, but still a possible stowage point for your knife.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KnittedReenactor For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KnittedReenactor View Post
    I seem to recall a possibly apocryphal story that the sgain dubh was worn in a pocket under the armpit, only being placed visible in the hose when entering someone's home (or some such enclosed area). The idea being to be upfront with your host that you did have something pointy, and not concealing it.
    Probably been debunked by those whose heads are screwed on tighter than mine, but still a possible stowage point for your knife.
    That's what I'd read too, and were seeking insight on.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Rlail For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bog oak, jet black in appearance, was a very hard wood suitable for the purpose. The handles on the stag knives simulate horn which was also traditionally used. Any ornamentation is merely a reflection of the Highlander's lack of confidence in paper money which resulted in him embellishing much of his personal wearing apparel with silver and cairngorm stones which are of value. Thus he carried on his person most of his worldly wealth. The black dagger (sgian-dubh) was usually carried in a place of concealment very often under his armpit (or oxter). This gives support to the view that 'black' does not refer only to the colour of the handle but implies 'covert' – as in (as stated previously) blackmail or black market. When the Highlander visited a house on his travels having deposited all his other weapons at the front door he did not divest himself of his concealed dagger, since in these far off days it was unsafe to be ever totally unarmed, not because he feared his host but rather because he feared intrusions from outside. Accordingly, although retaining the dagger; out of courtesy to his host he removed it from its place of concealment and put it somewhere where his host could see it, invariably in his stocking on the side of his hand (right- or left-handed).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sgian-dubh
    Tulach Ard

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to MacKenzie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    This was my dad in 1950 in Blackburn north of Aberdeen in his Scout uniform. I'll have to ask him about the knife.

Your Dad certainly looks the part, as I expect my Dad did too - he'd have been 14 in 1950 and he was a Boy Scout, so roughly contemporary. In fact when I was younger the older Scouts looked exactly as your Dad does in the picture but in 1967 the uniform changed from the classic khaki shirt to a long-sleeved green shirt and the 'mounties hat' was replaced with a beret except in Scotland where we wore a grey Balmoral bonnet. I can still remember being taken to the Scout shop in Elmbank Street in Glasgow to buy the uniform - after all these years I believe the Scout shop is still there.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Dr Bee For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for me, regardless of whether I'm wearing a sgain dubh in my hose I always have my Swiss Army knife in my sporran. My SAK rides in my pocket every day and I just don't feel dressed without it. For most things it's a better tool than the sgain dubh. My SD is a high quality one with brass bolsters, and a razor sharp edge since I don't believe in carrying a dull useless knife, and my jurisdiction has no restrictions on knives the size of normal SDs. Hope this helps.
    His Exalted Highness Duke Standard the Pertinacious of Chalmondley by St Peasoup
    Member Order of the Dandelion
    Per Electum - Non consanguinitam

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always have my army issue pocket knife in my sporran. I keep it razor sharp.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A mattucashlass is a type of dagger worn concealed in the armpit and primarily used for close combat, part of traditional Scottish male Highland dress. It is also referred to as an armpit dagger or a sleeve dagger in English. In Scots, the alternative name skene-ochil or skene-occles can also be found.
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Downunder Kilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Downunder Kilt View Post
    A mattucashlass is a type of dagger worn concealed in the armpit and primarily used for close combat, part of traditional Scottish male Highland dress. It is also referred to as an armpit dagger or a sleeve dagger in English. In Scots, the alternative name skene-ochil or skene-occles can also be found.
    I must for the sake of clarity, point out that the sgian achlais(and other versions of spelling) the armpit Scottish dagger or sleeve dagger is not part of traditional Scottish kilt attire of today.

It certainly has historical connections to it, but a knife worn under the arm pit or up the sleeve would, in normal circumstances, most certainly be illegal these days in the UK including Scotland and no doubt I imagine, in many other parts of the world too.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 17th December 19 at 03:57 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

14. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I must for the sake of clarity, point out that the sgian achlais(and other versions of spelling) the armpit Scottish dagger or sleeve dagger is not part of traditional Scottish kilt attire of today.

It certainly has historical connections to it, but a knife worn under the arm pit or up the sleeve would, in normal circumstances, most certainly be illegal these days in the UK including Scotland and no doubt I imagine, in many other parts of the world too.
    Not where I am!!!
    Last edited by Rlail; 17th December 19 at 07:43 AM.

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Rlail For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rlail View Post
    Not where I am!!!
    I rather thought that someone would come up with that!

Well, at least you now know that the sgian achlais is not part of todays Scottish traditional kilt attire. What you choose to do with that wee bit of information is entirely up to you.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 17th December 19 at 07:14 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

18. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast