X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dipping the flag

I hope this is permitted as it was a post that is now closed concerning the Dipping of National and other Flags.

I served in the Royal Scots (The Royal Regiment) and I now live in the USA where I am a member of the Scottish American Military Society. I am the Color Guard Commander for my Post.

As regards flags in the UK. The National flag is the Union Flag and three of the countries within the UK have their own flags.
    The Union flag is flown on certain days. Scotland has it's own law regarding the flying of the Saltire and they fly the Union flag on certain days.

In the USA as the Color Guard Commander I have to follow strict flag protocol, especially when Presenting or Posting the Colors.

The US Flag and other National Flags do not get dipped. State and Branches of the Armed Forces do get dipped. I took the question up about the Saltire and it is considered the same as a State flag here in the USA. The British Union flag or any other National flags does not get dipped in the USA. The US Flag in a Color Guard will always be on the Color Guards right or when in file at the front.

As regards the Queen's and Regiment Colours, The Queen's Colours is the Union Flag with some of the Regimental Battle Honours on it. The Regiment's Colours is Coloured in the choice of the Regiment, Royal Scots has blue with Regiment Battle Honours on it. In the case of the Royal Scots we couldn't get all our Battle Honours on it. Queen's Colours always to the right.

As regards the Saltire it will be dipped in the USA as it is not regarded as a Nation, but as part of the United Kingdom which is the recognized National.

When you have seen the dead British Servicemen returning to Brize Norton, their coffins have been draped in the Union flag, no matter which part of the United Kingdom they come from.

Dipping the flag when the Last Post being played by the Royal British legionClick image for larger version. 

Name:	flag dipping.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	29189
    Last edited by carlisle401; 26th September 16 at 10:08 PM.
    Aye Yours

Jim

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to carlisle401 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was told that the union flag never dips as its all of our flag and represents the bond we share. It's a nice thought really that even though there's possibly 5 nations ( 6 if you count the Cornish) and not one dominates the others in theory 😀

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Andrews Son For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is important to remember that every nation and, in fact, every military unit or civilian organization within those nations will have slightly different protocols of honour. What works well in one nation cannot, must not, and should not be assumed to apply elsewhere.

The commonality is that (almost) universally, the intention is to show respect and give honour as it is due.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

6. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason why I posted this was because someone in the US asked as why the Scottish Saltire was dipped during the playing of the National Anthems. I hope I have answered this.
    Aye Yours

Jim

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to carlisle401 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So a Regimental Color, even with it having the Union Flag in the corner gets dipped, while the Queen's Color would not?

We don't have that issue here in the States, as our Regimental Colors do not incorporate the National Flag in them like was done in Great Britain.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Luke,
    I think you would find that that the flags being dipped in the photo are not a regimental colour. However, in the Commonwealth, vailing (dipping) of Colours, and of Guidons, is conducted for the Sovereign, some other members of the royal family and the Sovereign's representative (GG, LG). Also on specific solemn occasions.

Of course, one would hope to hear a piper, in full regalia, playing as part of any such salute - (this is a kilt forum, after all)

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Taskr For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke MacGillie View Post
    So a Regimental Color, even with it having the Union Flag in the corner gets dipped, while the Queen's Color would not?

We don't have that issue here in the States, as our Regimental Colors do not incorporate the National Flag in them like was done in Great Britain.
    The United Kingdom flag does get dipped in he United Kingdom, in the US, it is never dipped as it is classified as a National flag.
    Here are the Gordons.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gordons colours.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	29205

The question was in the thread why doesn't the Scottish Saltire not get dipped in the USA and the answer is because is because Scotland is a division of the UK, just the same as an England or a Welsh flag would get dipped.
    Last edited by carlisle401; 29th September 16 at 05:39 PM.
    Aye Yours

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I brought this up in this previous thread. My context was as a Color Guard with the Scottish American Military Society.
    "Don't give up what you want most for what you want now."
    Just my 2¢ worth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by duke_19_62 View Post
    I brought this up in this previous thread. My context was as a Color Guard with the Scottish American Military Society.
    Yes, and the thread was closed.

As a a Color Guard Commander in my Scottish American Military Society Post I have been informed that The Scottish Saltire shall be dipped during a salute in the USA. The Scottish Saltire is not a recognized National Flag in the USA.

We do quite a few Colour Guards here in Arizona for the Highland Games, Burns Dinner etc where we have the Saltire on Parade and it shall be dipped during a salute. We do a Royal Air Force Remebrance in Mesa each year and we carry the Union Flag. During the salute it is not dipped.
    Aye Yours

Jim