X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weaving the Rudolf Heil tartan (STR #12369)

Hiyas!

I designed a modest tartan, and now that it has been registered I would like to get it woven soon. Now I hope the experts in the forum will share their thoughts on the designing of the selvedge.

Since I would want 40 counts for the dark green fields, I´ve had the idea to enlarge the sett and get it as close as possible to the sett size of the Private´s Plaids of the 42nd regiment. The original threadcount of the tartan is DB/58 G6 DB6 G32 DG32 G6 DG32 G32 DB32 G6 DB/6 which I have enlarged to DB/74 G6 DB6 G42 DG40 G6 DG40 G42 DB40 G6 DB/6.

The wide blue field in the sett has by chance 74 threads which is as far as I know the traditional width for the selvedge for Fine Kilts (42nd tartan, large sett). Further, the Olive in the sett is in the same place as the Black in the 42nd and, as far as I know, the selvedge of a 42nd tartan is black, e.g. 48 threads instead of 32 threads for Coarse Kilts, and in my case possibly 74 threads, either Blue or Olive.

Selvedge Blue 74

Selvedge Olive 74

Question #1:
    Do you think I should combine the sett size of the Private´s Plaids with the selvedge size for Fine Kilts?

Question #2:
    Should I choose Blue or Olive for the herringbone selvedge?

Question #3:
    Would you advise to choose another width for the selvedge?

Thank you in advance.

Yours Aye,

Rod
    Last edited by Rod Roy; 26th May 19 at 06:51 AM.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Rod Roy For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first tartan that you’ve posted is the 42nd Band tartan. Did you know that?

Secondly, if you have questions about traditional selvedge, contact Peter MacDonald. He’s the one who will know.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlpope View Post

Secondly, if you have questions about traditional selvedge, contact Peter MacDonald. He’s the one who will know.
    Thanks David. We've had that discussion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Thanks David. We've had that discussion

Figheadair, I guess you´d opt for the olive 74 selvedge then? Just wanted to double-check

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Roy View Post
    Figheadair, I guess you´d opt for the olive 74 selvedge then? Just wanted to double-check
    I would not be starting from here. The proposed arrangement breaks the norm for traditional selvedge marks. IMO this setting does not lend itself to such a selvedge without some serious reconfiguration. Sorry, but you did ask.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not be starting from here. The proposed arrangement breaks the norm for traditional selvedge marks. IMO this setting does not lend itself to such a selvedge without some serious reconfiguration. Sorry, but you did ask.
    That´s fine, figheadair. But to be honest I´m a bit confused. What can I do now? I´m more than happy to accept your friendly advice

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Roy View Post
    That´s fine, figheadair. But to be honest I´m a bit confused. What can I do now? I´m more than happy to accept your friendly advice
    Please email me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please email me.
    Tapadh leat, a figheadair

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An updated information on the current tartan project. In the meantime, the clients and I have opted for the large sett (DB/74 G6 DB6 G42 DG40 G6 DG40 G42 DB40 G6 DB/6) combined with a herringbone selvedge (9 x 8 = 72 ends) in Olive Green.

Selvedge Olive 72

A length of thirteen metres single width tartan cloth will be woven soon. Three lads will get a box pleat kilt in their family tartan. That´s lovely. I hope I can post some photos of the tartan in the loom next time. I´ll keep my fingers crossed.
    Last edited by Rod Roy; 26th May 19 at 11:26 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a wee correction. To give the tartan a more effective and impressing appearance, we now have agreed to enlarge the sett to the size for the so-called Fine Kilts (Large Sett). The cloth features a herringbone selvedge with 74 ends (1 x 10 bottom plus 8 x 8) in Olive Green.

Selvedge Olive 74

The dark blue and olive green lines have been enlarged from 6 to 8 threads, whereas the fields have grown from 40 to 44 (DG), from 74 to 76 (DB) and from 42 to 48 threads (G).
    Last edited by Rod Roy; 27th May 19 at 06:38 AM.