X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Working on an outfit for a semi-formal occasion

My wife and I will be celebrating our 20th anniversary by renewing our vows. She actually suggested that I wear a kilt, but asked for something grey or black. So I came up with a "Hamilton" grey kilt. It's a summer event, in a barn, (so no AC and lots of straw) so I am not wearing a jacket (by her request as well). I found a vest that I think works okay with the kilt. It's a 6 button, which is a tad long, but at the same time it hides a bit of my, errrr, "girth".

Now I am looking for footwear and a new sporran. Unfortunately (for me) I need them both to be synthetic (vegan) which is proving more difficult than anything at this point.

Here's my progress so far....IMG_1049.JPG
    Last edited by Adoom; 6th August 19 at 12:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know i have seen a vegan sporran, but sorry I dont remember where.

For footwear, I am sure there are plenty of vegan options. The one that comes to mind first are a pair of vegan 1461 Doc Martens shoes or 1460 boots. Not cheap, and not gillie brogues, but i think they would do, plus you can wear them other times, and personally i think 1460s go great with a kilt.

I am sure I will be corrected, but i tend to bend the traditional.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure of the quality but you could look here:

http://www.vegetariansporran.com/dress-sporrans.html

I think you look great so far BTW. Good for you for seeking out a vegan option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, small update of sorts. Last night I picked up a different shirt option. The lady at the store wasn't impressed with my idea, but I like monochromatic palettes for outfits at times....I grabbed a grey dress shirt. It has a decent fit, but takes away the contrast that the white shirt was providing. I found the white shirt a little too "maitre d'" feeling. I also pulled the trigger on a pair of Dr Marten Chelsea boots. https://www.drmartens.com/ca/en_ca/p/21456001 I'm not sure I will go with them, I ordered them online, so we'll see how they fit...if they fit...

As for the sporran, I may find myself making another sporran. I made my current one, and it's held up OK. SportKilt has a vegan leather sporran, but the shipping to Canada is a little silly. The ones at vegetariansporransuk are nice, but a little too expensive for my use/budget. So I will give building one a shot again.

I will update again when the boots arrive, or when I build the sporran!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, i think you will look sharp!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's a ghillie brogue you want, there is indeed a vegan version: https://www.barr1highlandsupply.com/...e_brogues.html
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, boots are here, slowly trying to break these things in so I don't look like I'm limping around on the special night. Now to making a sporran!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it is worth I don't think boots will ever fit the bill for smart events and boots with rubber soles certainly won't. A well polished pair of black oxfords would do nicely.

Alright its a traditional Highland Scot speaking from the Highlands of Scotland, so you can do with my advice as you please, but........
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 13th August 19 at 01:31 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate the fact you only want synthetic materials, but out of curiosity, may I ask why specifically?
    I don't eat land animals myself, so that part I can understand.

Is it because the animal was harvested/slaughtered? Would you wear leather that came from an animal that died of natural causes? Sorry for the dumb questions.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are the Ghillators (I think they're called) which are Ghillie-style shoes made of a foam rubber sort of stuff.

I don't think they're made any more, but I see them at every Highland Games on the feet of pipers and drummers.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast