X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kilt Jacket

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt Jacket

I've got two tartans, Black Watch, and Black Stewart, and looking to get either Alexander or a tartan that is gray.
    If I buy a jacket and vest, what color would go with either tartan? I understand I'm not matching, but something that the kilt will accent, not the other way around...

Thanks for your opinion..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where & what kind of event will you be wearing these with your kilt? It does make a bit of a difference.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In case you haven't seen these threads, both should help provide some guidance:

1 Kilt 10 Looks

Traditional Civilian Highland Dress

Shane

4. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to gsmacleod For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Where & what kind of event will you be wearing these with your kilt? It does make a bit of a difference.
    Perhaps a wedding, probably a company Christmas party for sure, certain church functions. I will probably never wear it to a formal setting. Just looking for some advice. Seems to me the charcoal is the best bet.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Charcoal is a very versatile colour but if it were me I might go with a lovat green. It's a traditional choice that will work with any number of tartans and hose colours.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Benning Boy is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing could be more versatile than a charcoal Kilt Kut Suit Coat from Freedom Kilts, which wil, be going out of business in a month. Order one while you can. It will work in all but the most formal occasions.The Lovat shades seem weak to me, and not very versatile compared to good old charcoal.

For a gray tartan i recommend Eternity, a fashion tartan. It is also very versatile. The gray in it it is made by twistng white and black threads together. The result is a tartan that looks alive as it moves and the light is reflected in different ways. It, too, goes well with everything. Just about everyone at Kilt Kamp 2014 was impressed by the look of my Eternity tartan and there were some mighty nice tartans to be seen there.

If you really want to spice things up get waistcoats in different colors to wear with your charcoal jacket.

You really don't have to spend a lot on dressy duds if you spend on versatility in the beginning.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I too like charcoal (I have one of those) and the idea of switching it up with a variety of vests (I have a couple of those too!)
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Randycan View Post
    Perhaps a wedding, probably a company Christmas party for sure, certain church functions. I will probably never wear it to a formal setting. Just looking for some advice. Seems to me the charcoal is the best bet.
    FWIW, I typically wear my kilt and a charcoal tweed jacket and waistcoat to graduation (I'm a teacher). I think it works well for events like that but prefer other options for less dressy events.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190627_1330576~2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	37301

Shane

Benning Boy is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Father Bill, its good to know there is another out there who shares my style. What colors are your vests? Mine are claret and dove gray, as recommended by Steve Ashton at the time I bought the kilt kut jacket. I want to add a dark green one in velvet. I think contrasting textures ought to also be thought of when putting together a kilt ensemble I have yellow in highly textured silk for another. I just keep putting off having it made. The shiny but rough material will contrast nicely in both color and texture.

Ive concluded it is best to match hose and waistcoat and not to worry over any of the colors in the tartan at all. It works.

I have some pale pink shooting socks, so i might go for a pale pink vest. ��

Variations of cut and style in waist coats allow one to put together quite a variety of looks at a good deal less than the price of different jackets.

The charcoal Kilt Kut jacket worn with the matching vest and Eternity tartan make for a good kilted version of the Stressemann suit without going to the expense of buying a black jacket and waist coat to exactly match the Stressemann. This manner of dress is to my eye some what more formal than other combinations, and shows the value of a basic charcoal coat -- and Eternity tartan.
    Last edited by Benning Boy; 24th August 19 at 08:41 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there Benning.

I have a plain fire-engine red one, a maroon with wide lapels and paisleys, one that came with the jacket, and one in tartan cut on the bias to match the kilt.

Of course, there's the black one that came with my Argyle, but the buttons don't match. I may yet convert them to "switch-over" buttons, but I really can't much be bothered.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast