X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

   X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website Celtic Croft website
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information Houston Kiltmakers Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 53
  1. #31
    Join Date
    7th February 11
    Location
    London, Canada
    Posts
    8,573
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent!

    If I choose to go that way, it's a good option. I'd have to say "very dark navy blue" then.

    Good advice!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster, lover of God, people (most of them!) dogs, joy, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, dreamer, traditionalist, bon-vivant, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    15th October 18
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    65
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnot View Post
    If you would like, I would be happy to inquire with Mackie to see how to go about a direct purchase for you.
    For the benefit of anyone in the UK, I recently tried to purchase direct from Mackie with no success and they referred me to a retailer I'd never heard of. Eventually I bought my Mackie Balmoral through the STA Online Shop although I did it over the 'phone. As my Balmoral was non-standard - black, black toorie and trailing ribbons - it had to be made to order. The guy at STA could not have been more helpful, the Balmoral arrived pretty quickly, about a week I think and it is indeed a magnificent specimen - well worth what I paid for it - which was 63. As this was in October 2018 it is possible Mackie and Co have changed their policy on direct ordering by now.
    Last edited by Dr Bee; 19th December 19 at 03:42 AM.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    27th September 08
    Location
    From Michigan, USA. Currently in Lancashire, UK
    Posts
    450
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Bee View Post
    For the benefit of anyone in the UK, I recently tried to purchase direct from Mackie with no success and they referred me to a retailer I'd never heard of.
    Thanks for pointing this out. They have indeed changed their policy. They did sell to the general public at one time, but have stopped doing so. I didn't ask why when I spoke to them (I just wanted to be sure I wasn't mixing them up with another supplier), but that's what I was told.
    Last edited by Arnot; 19th December 19 at 03:53 AM.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    13th October 10
    Location
    Powell River, BC, Canada
    Posts
    249
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    I'll avoid B & S in the future. Unfortunately, they have the Canadian market tied up on some things, such as Locharron.
    Actually, a number of highland retailers in Canada carry Lochcarron hose and flashes. I believe Lochcarron owns Burnett's & Struth, but they still supply other retailers in Canada. Perhaps B & S has the exclusive franchise for Ontario, but certainly not for the rest of country.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    7th February 11
    Location
    London, Canada
    Posts
    8,573
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imrichmond View Post
    Actually, a number of highland retailers in Canada carry Lochcarron hose and flashes. I believe Lochcarron owns Burnett's & Struth, but they still supply other retailers in Canada. Perhaps B & S has the exclusive franchise for Ontario, but certainly not for the rest of country.
    Ah.

    My understanding was that the others had to order via B & S.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster, lover of God, people (most of them!) dogs, joy, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, dreamer, traditionalist, bon-vivant, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    13th October 10
    Location
    Powell River, BC, Canada
    Posts
    249
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Ah.

    My understanding was that the others had to order via B & S.
    Since B & S and Lochcarron (Canada) are really the same entity, it amounts to the same thing. The reason for my intervention was simply that your previous posting implied that B & S was the only retailer from whom Canadian customers could obtain Lochcarron products. This, I felt, was a bit misleading, given that various other retailers, including myself, carry Lochcarron products. I have ordered direct from Lochcarron (Canada) and have not so far received any notice that I cannot do so in the future. As I said, though, whether B & S or Lochcarron (Canada) is the wholesaler really makes no difference to either the retailer or the end consumer.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    7th February 11
    Location
    London, Canada
    Posts
    8,573
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imrichmond View Post
    Since B & S and Lochcarron (Canada) are really the same entity, it amounts to the same thing. The reason for my intervention was simply that your previous posting implied that B & S was the only retailer from whom Canadian customers could obtain Lochcarron products. This, I felt, was a bit misleading, given that various other retailers, including myself, carry Lochcarron products. I have ordered direct from Lochcarron (Canada) and have not so far received any notice that I cannot do so in the future. As I said, though, whether B & S or Lochcarron (Canada) is the wholesaler really makes no difference to either the retailer or the end consumer.
    Well, it makes a difference to the end consumer if they are disorganized or misleading.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster, lover of God, people (most of them!) dogs, joy, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, dreamer, traditionalist, bon-vivant, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    7th February 11
    Location
    London, Canada
    Posts
    8,573
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, it arrived late this afternoon and here it is:



    Interestingly, it has a quilted lining - the last one I got from Ian was lined, but not quilted.



    I'm using the non-clan badge I have in my drawer. It's dear old St. Andrew, and with that, this hat will be used largely in my role as Padre to the Legion and Cadets.



    Hope you like it fellows. I do. I'm not clipping the ribbons for now, but maybe later....

    Cheers all!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster, lover of God, people (most of them!) dogs, joy, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, dreamer, traditionalist, bon-vivant, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

  9. The Following 13 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:


  10. #39
    Join Date
    31st May 06
    Location
    NE Wisconsin
    Posts
    187
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very handsome bonnet, Padre!
    Descended from Patiences of Avoch | McColls of Glasgow
    Member, Clan Mackenzie Society of the Americas | Clan Donald USA

    "We have this hope, a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul." (Heb. 6:19)

  11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to revdpatience For This Useful Post:


  12. #40
    Join Date
    30th September 08
    Location
    Cypress, Texas
    Posts
    1,303
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post

    Hope you like it fellows. I do. I'm not clipping the ribbons for now, but maybe later....

    Cheers all!
    Or tie them in a bow!



    (image from the J. Higgins site)

    Cheers,

    SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.0