X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help deciding between a really good 5 yd, 8 yd, and great kilt from USA kilts

Hey guys! Just recently getting into kilting and want to save up for a really nice kilt. Money is not a concern, just need to build up the ol' account first! Would wear it year-round, every day. Live in East Tx, so crazy hot summers and winters that can dip below freezing, on occasion. Would want 16 oz wool no matter what. Love the Utilty of a Great Kilt, but don't have enough space to put one on in (. Between that, the 5 yard kilt, and the 8 yard kilt, I'm at a dead-end. Figured you guys could lend your thoughts and advice, any guidance would be appreciated!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome the "Great Rabble"!

You'll get lots of general advice, but for perspective, today a true great kilt is worn only by pipe majors, re-enactors, or as a costume. Whether you wear a 5 or 8 yard kilt (and those are categories, not measurements) is totally up to you, as is the choice on pleating to the stripe or the sett, and the choice of knife, box, kingussie, reverse kingussie pleating.

Stick around, read a lot, and ask a lot of questions while you save your dollars so that when you're ready to buy, you make the best choice for yourself the first time. Buyers' remorse is a sad and wasteful (or in this case, "waist-ful") situation. Don't end up with one thing and wish you had something else and your money gone.

Again, welcome and learn before you spend!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Father Bill! Yes, I've been doing lots of research lately, can't get enough of reading about kiltin' up, haha. I'm leaning towards a modern at this moment, purely for ease of use and that it would be much more suited to formal events.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NeighborhoodKiltGuy View Post
    Thanks Father Bill! Yes, I've been doing lots of research lately, can't get enough of reading about kiltin' up, haha. I'm leaning towards a modern at this moment, purely for ease of use and that it would be much more suited to formal events.
    Glad to help the little bit I can. In this neighbourhood, I'm not really one of the cultural experts.

Not sure what you mean by "modern". Not a clear category we use much.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from Western Canada 🇨🇦!
    If I had to pick just one kilt for everyday wear I’d go for a PV semi traditional kilt from USA Kilts or equivalent from other kilt makers. It has the advantage of being washable. If I had to pick just one kilt for dress up occasions I’d pick an 8 yd. 16 oz knife pleated kilt from a reputable kilt maker. I would only consider a great kilt for renfaire occasions. Now if I were able to have 2 kilts I’d go with the first 2.
    Cheers!
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When it comes to kilts, I’m of the opinion that you should get the best kilt you can afford. So if you can swing an 8-yarder, I’d say go for it. It will include the necessary underlying structure (interfacing, stabilizer) so that it will hold up over time.

It’s also probably easier to dress down an 8-yarder than to dress up a lower yardage kilt.

I, too, live in Texas and don’t find that the extra yardage makes the kilt much warmer to wear in hot weather than my 5-yard kilt, though some prefer them. My favorite low-yardage kilt is a 4-yard box pleat. Though they’re not listed on the USA Kilts website, I know they could put one together for you if that appeals to you.

Think about where you’re likely to wear your kilt as well. Will you be wearing it primarily for dressy occasions? Or is it going to be more of a knock around kilt?

I’m sure you’ll get lots of opinions! Welcome from another Texan! Looking forward to seeing what you end up with.

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Father Bill, I've seen people refer to 'modern' kilts as how they're primarily worn today, regardless of material. That is where I picked up the term. You might normally use the term, 'traditional', although I do not know how you categorize kilts, that is my guess, lol.

Liam, thank ya for that advice, PV doesn't sound like a bad idea at all.

Shaun, what weight is your 8-yarder in? I have always read that 16 oz 8 yard kilt is a bit too much for our warmer climate, but if that is what you use, then that's awesome! Thanks for the advice!!

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to NeighborhoodKiltGuy For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunMaxwell View Post
    It’s also probably easier to dress down an 8-yarder than to dress up a lower yardage kilt.
    I would echo this sentiment. I find myself always choosing my 8-yard kilts, regardless of the level of dress I need to wear. If I had to start all over, buying my first kilt to be my "one" kilt, I'd opt for an 8-yard wool kilt, 16oz cloth. It will be appropriate for all occasions. And as a fellow Texan, I don't notice any benefit from wearing lower-yardage or lighter-weight kilts in the heat.

You can't go wrong with USA Kilts, and you'll definitely get a quality-made garment from them. I would advise caution going with some of the online "discount" kiltmakers if you don't have feedback from customers to guide you. Many of them will not build a kilt with the necessary internal structure, and your kilt will end up stretching, sagging, and/or falling apart after a while. Ask me how I know. With kilts, you definitely get what you pay for, and it's advisable to stick with a kiltmaker who has a good reputation here on this forum, and with whom you can personally discuss the details of your kilt (not just filling out an online order form).

12. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    You'll get lots of general advice, but for perspective, today a true great kilt is worn only by pipe majors, re-enactors, or as a costume.
    Just to correct an obvious misconception here: pipe majors do not wear great kilts. In 60 years of piping, both solo and in bands at all levels (and having been pipe major of four different bands over the years including my current one), the only pipe majors I have ever seen wearing anything approaching a great kilt are those who play in historical re-enactor pipe bands, such as The Old 78th Fraser Highlanders band (not either of the top-level competition bands from Ontario and Nova Scotia who also share the names "78th Fraser Highlanders" and "78th Highlanders"). In whatever pipe band, military or civilian, re-enactor or not, the pipe major wears the same type of kilt as all the other pipers. In many military bands and some civilian bands, the pipers wear No 1 or "full" dress, which has a long plaid that crosses the back and the chest and hangs down over the left shoulder and arm. This is a separate garment and not part of the kilt.

14. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to imrichmond For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    today a true great kilt is worn only by pipe majors, re-enactors, or as a costume.
    The Pipe Major part is news to me. In the Army, Barnes states

The belted plaid (great kilt) was usually worn only by Officers after 1794.

It's hard to tell from illustrations, but in the early 19th century and thereafter what Officers are wearing is the modern belted plaid, a separate garment, rather complex, which when worn with a kilt in matching tartan imitates the look of the old great kilt.

Military pipers (including Pipe Majors) haven't worn the great kilt since around 1800. Instead, throughout the 19th century and up to today they wear the full plaid, a separate garment which wraps around the torso.

But! Every time I say something based on the British military, a Canadian will put forth a Canadian regiment that does things differently. There are many subtle uniform quirks which exist/have existed in Canadian regiments which fly in the face of Scottish regimental traditions.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 7th August 19 at 03:20 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast