X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scottish Highland Exhibit at Canadian War Museum, Ottawa

I just watched a very interesting YouTube video (by Skallagrimson) highlighting an exhibition at the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa that covers the Scottish Highland warrior and soldier. From what I saw, the exhibit covers the Highland fighting man from his origins as a clan warrior up to the present day Highland regiments. The exhibit features artwork (famous depictions of Highland warriors up through today - the most interesting to me were of 17th and 18th century Highlanders) and exhibits of Highland weapons from centuries past - many probably loaned from collections in Britain, the U.S. and Canada. If you can conveniently get to the museum in Ottawa before the exhibit ends (12th Jan 2020), from what I saw on the video, I'd recommend it for those of Highland descent and also for reenactors of Highland military units. I haven't been to the Canadian War Museum in many years (back in 69-72, when I was posted in Ottawa at the American Embassy), but I recall that its exhibits were high-quality learning experiences, especially for a Yank like me that knew very little at that time about Canadian military history.

2. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Orvis For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

4. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to jhockin For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coming from the uniform side of things, the coolest thing in that video is at 6:31 which appears to be the uniform of the 72d Highlanders, a unique Scottish Highland regiment in that they wore the Highland feather bonnet, doublet, plaid, dirk etc but trews instead of the kilt.

They were also the only Scottish Highland regiment to wear the Prince Charles Edward Stuart tartan. The tartan plaid and trews there are beautiful. I wonder if they're Wilson's colours.

The uniform shown would have to be from between 1823 (when the PCES trews were granted) and 1855 (when doublets were introduced).

I don't know if there was a Canadian regiment that wore a uniform similar to that of the 72nd Highlanders of Scotland.

The other cool uniform is seen at 7:25 being the Pipe Major of the Cameron Highlanders. Whether it's the Cameron Highlanders of Canada or Scotland I'm not sure; the uniforms are very similar.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 5th December 19 at 05:41 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post: