X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Genealogical cul-du-sac... Moral Question

I'm looking for a little advice. I'm looking into some kilt purchases from different places. Going from on going genealogical that my aunt is doing I've found myself in a dead end. Oddly enough back in the mid 1800's there are 3 possible ancestors with almost the same last names in the same region... very odd according to the geneology people at the library. It's a bit of a hole in the family, we are making a jump and we have three possible landing spots.

Spot one is a Lairson - from denmark

Spot two is a Larison (a common spelling change in my family) from Ireland

and Spot three an Isicar son of Lair from England

Now in my case this is more of a moral choice, and fodder to fight the kilt police, but I really like the Ancient McLaren tartan, and the Lair's are a Sept of MacLaren, so would it be wrong of me to wear it? I can (kind of) justify it. I don't really have to justify it, but...

Any Help?
    Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.
    -Gautama Buddha

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, are you asking about how to decide which of the three people to "adopt" as your ancestor or which tartan to wear? Not knowing which of three people is actually your ancestor is a pretty interesting dilemma. Having a defense for the "kilt police" isn't. Wear what you like. I don't really have an answer for you other than to say this doesn't seem to be a moral or ethical problem as much as a genealogical research puzzle. I'm really curious what our more informed academics are going to suggest.

Jamie
    Quondo Omni Flunkus Moritati

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aye, I am with bikercelt1; ancestors are the accident of ages past, it is the soul of the celt ye covet and that is to be had for the yearning of it
    May you find joy in the wee, ken the universe in the peculiar and capture peace in the compass of drop of dew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the replies above. Remember, as you can find discussed in many places through this forum, that prior to the "Scottish Revival" of the 1820's, tartans were only marginally connected with particular clans or families. It is nice to find a family connection with a particular tartan, but not necessary.

Wear what ye like, lad. The only exceptions I'd make are tartans that are explicitly restricted or explicitly military.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me ask a friend who is a higher up in the Clan MacLaren Society. He is a Lawson. I see Law and Lawson and I saw the Lair. I'll ask him if Lairson would be acceptable to the clan.

But in reality, how would you feel if you found out after you had spent the money on the MacLaren kilt that you were not of the person associated with MacLaren. Sept names are tricky. Though most societies would be willing to take your money, your ancestors may not have had anything to do with the clan.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not worry about the kilt police, if you like a particular tartan and wear it with respect that is enough.

The policies of clan societies regarding eligibility to join are an entirely different issue.
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathBar View Post
    But in reality, how would you feel if you found out after you had spent the money on the MacLaren kilt that you were not of the person associated with MacLaren. Sept names are tricky. Though most societies would be willing to take your money, your ancestors may not have had anything to do with the clan.
    Honestly, I'm probably going to get an ancient MacLaren kilt whether I'm associated with the clan or not. This really stems from a conversation I had over dinner with my aunt about wearing the kilt on a daily basis. She asked what tartans I liked, I told her I was thinking Black Watch or MacLaren, and that's when she told me about the off chance that we might be related to the MacLaren clan. My thinking was "Bonus", but it does not make that much difference in the long run.

I guess the "Moral Choice" was a bit off, but that's what you get when you browse the forum on 3 hours sleep after a large meal of lamb stew... The brain gets fuzzy... I've had a full 8 hours now and I feel much better
    Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.
    -Gautama Buddha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by d_lairson View Post
    Honestly, I'm probably going to get an ancient MacLaren kilt whether I'm associated with the clan or not. This really stems from a conversation I had over dinner with my aunt about wearing the kilt on a daily basis. She asked what tartans I liked, I told her I was thinking Black Watch or MacLaren, and that's when she told me about the off chance that we might be related to the MacLaren clan. My thinking was "Bonus", but it does not make that much difference in the long run.
    I think Stillwater carried MacLaren tartan kilts in their Standard model. It's the modern colors though, and not wool, but acryllic. All that matters is that you like it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Were you once or are you now a Boy Scout? If you were/are there you go. The Boy Scout use the MacLaren tartan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may well be able to find more genealogical information if you put your mind to it. Family bibles can be older than the 1800s. More importantly, some remote cousin MAY have already solved your question. Have you done a LOT of genealogical checking? The web is perfect for just such research. Even if you can't be sure, what about such clues as recurring first names, house names ( might refer to the old country) or even religious denomination. If you are curious enough, you can consult 23andme for some dna testing, though it is pretty vague on country of origin, especially as between England and Scotland. You should be able to divide between the UK and Denmark, though.

Having said that, I agree with everything above about the Kilt Police and the clans. You are offering to swear loyalty to them, not assist in procreating. I expect they will be glad to have your allegiance- and your backside in their tartan.
    Some take the high road and some take the low road. Who's in the gutter? MacLowlife

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast