X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scots bonnets in the fur trade

I thought I would share this as some of you may find it interesting and may even have something to share or add to further educate me. This is a blog post I made on the use of Scots Bonnets in the North American Fur Trade. This is just the start of my researching into this topic and I have seen a few more interesting things since originally writing this up.

http://frenchinwisconsin.com/2013/12...-and-the-west/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given the strong presence of Scots in the Hudson's Bay Company, not surprising. There is a reason why Canada has been referred to as Scotland's colony.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interestingly the NWCo (eventually merged with the HBC in 1821) was also EXTREMELY Scottish. Interestingly, I have not seen any bonnets mentioned in regards to them yet.

IW

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was indeed a large presence of Scottish bonnets to be seen in the Canadian Fur trade but that's nothing compared to the amount of Scots bonnets seen in the Canadian Tire trade.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Canadian TIre Money.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	16314

Name:	BNC_EGNCIAIXf2z.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	16316

Name:	Sandy McTire.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	267.9 KB 
ID:	16315

The Canadians online will certainly recognize the noble and cheerful visage of our thrifty National hero, Sandy McTire, an armiger of the McTire clan.

Last edited by Nathan; 14th January 14 at 05:42 AM.
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    Past High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Nathan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer my Scotch bonnets in tomato sauce or other cooking.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In all seriousness, though Isaac, a very interesting blog. I look forward to your further research. You should know that a lot of of the Western Metis were of partial Scots ancestry. Much of the metis fiddle repertoire is of Scots origin, as are their dances.
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    Past High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    In all seriousness, though Isaac, a very interesting blog. I look forward to your further research. You should know that a lot of of the Western Metis were of partial Scots ancestry. Much of the metis fiddle repertoire is of Scots origin, as are their dances.
    Indeed! I am glad you enjoyed it and, although the blog is more devoted to the French in the fur trade, there will be more Scots mentioned in the future.

Canadian Tire... Whew! That is funny stuff.

Western Washington State or s/v Lady Washington
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaacW View Post
    Interestingly the NWCo (eventually merged with the HBC in 1821) was also EXTREMELY Scottish. Interestingly, I have not seen any bonnets mentioned in regards to them yet.

IW
    Working in HBC living history in the west, I see a lot of bonnets. I would further note that many former NWCo employees were relegated to the far west (Columbia Department) where their more colorful ways would be less disruptive. I concure that we see the bonnets on the working class. The "gentlemen" class, i.e. educated management, although being scots, were more likely to show it in tartan fabric, especially tartan shawls for their wives. At Nisqually it is noted that Dr William Tolmie, from Inverness, used a tartan shawl on the parlor table.

What is most interesting to me from the O.P. article are the hats with dicing, Tourie, and bill. I only see such "weather tams" in fur trade drawings. Anyone have any evidence for them in Scotland?
    Elf

There is no bad weather; only inappropriate clothing.
    -atr: New Zealand proverb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have only seen them worn on Indians and métis. Here is an original Ute indian cap of interesting construction...
    https://ids.si.edu/ids/viewTile/H/5f...les/10/1_0.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a photo of the Ute cap