X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookingkilted View Post
    Who wants to wear a dandelion this weekend so we may know each other at a glance?
    I'll have one affixed to my person somewhere.
    Tulach Ard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will wear one on Sunday. I am really looking forward to meeting people.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ccook For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A fun time was had yesterday (at my first “Games”). There was a lot to see and take in. Next time I will pay more attention to the schedule and plan better.

Another dandelion I did not see.

The Redhead and I arrived around ten. After we got our bearings we headed to the clan tents. Having had three days of rain prior, the track in front of the clan tents was a muddy affair. Plenty of mud everywhere, in fact. Stopped by the Sinclair tent – no Alan. Stopped by the MacKenzie tent – vacant.

We watched some of the heavy athletics, took in the historical encampments and cruised the vendor tents. After a bowl of shepherd’s pie we grabbed a brew and hit the grand stands for the Massed Pipe Bands (I still have goose bumps).

We moseyed around the vendors again and caught a bit of the Highland Dance competition, then grabbed another brew and headed back to the stands (in the shade this time) for some more heavys and the sheep herding demonstration.

As we were sitting there The Lord Lyon and the representatives of Clan Anderson took the stage. What happened next, I think, was The Lord officially recognized the Clan Chief. It was almost over before I even realized what was going on. Hopefully somebody will jump in here and confirm what I think we witnessed. (See the last two images in the “Misc” slideshow).

Dressed for the games

Heavy Athletics slideshow

Highland Dance slideshow

Misc Pictures slideshow – including Massed Bands, historical encampment, herding demo, flag retirement ceremony.

Apologies for some of the sideways pics. If I rotate them this new-to-me slideshow software won't maintain the aspect ratio.

Back home relaxing in the Alt.Kilt

I feel for those obligated to be there today. After steady rain all night and up until right now (deluge at times), it’s going to be a mess there. Even if they called it off, just packing up in this weather will be unpleasant.
    Last edited by MacKenzie; 19th April 15 at 11:19 AM.
    Tulach Ard

5. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to MacKenzie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, thanks for all the wonderful pics. It looks like a top notch event. Your outfit for the games was very sharp. That`s a beautiful kilt.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Dughlas mor For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, Dughlas. And you're welcome.
    Tulach Ard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice outfit. Love the kilt and kit combination. You look a bit like Gollie MacKenzie with a handlebar mustache.

Thanks for posting all the pics. Was that a pic of the drone that took the pics? Love that Anderson plaid.
    I changed my signature. The old one was too ridiculous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mookien View Post
    Nice outfit. Love the kilt and kit combination.
    Thank you.

You look a bit like Gollie MacKenzie with a handlebar mustache.
    Thanks... I think. Reminds me, I need to watch the rest of "Monarch".

Thanks for posting all the pics. Was that a pic of the drone that took the pics? Love that Anderson plaid.
    You're welcome. Don't know who's drone that was. My pics came from ye ol' McNikon. Have a video of the Massed band on the phone, but it's a bit shaky.

The Anderson tartan is nice.
    Tulach Ard

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MacKenzie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made it out there today (Sunday) it was wet and just got even more wet. My 3yr old had mud spatters pretty much every where and I have 3 kilts to clean and most likely repress them as well, 3+ hour car ride with wet acrylic under us all, they look terrible right now. They are hanging right now and I will look at them tomorrow after work. We will be purchasing some Wellingtons very soon, lesson learned.

On more pleasant notes I found a sporran for my son and picked up a new pair of hose, House of Chevoit in green. The athlete and pipers and drummers have my utmost respect after witnessing them performing in a very nasty rain storm. I have had to work in similar weather, but I was in the Army and had no choice. These men and women chose to be out there and I applaud them for that. The smells and the sounds were very inviting and the people that were there were very friendly and in good spirits. I would like to learn more about the Highland dance, what I did see was very interesting and it looked like a dance to prepare for a fight or maybe to antagonize one, I only say that because the young ladies performing repeatedly raised their closed fists during their individual routines. I am only guessing at the meaning/purpose of the dance I watched.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ccook For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I completely forgot to grab a dandelion. These things happen when you have 5 kids. We were out there from about noon to 4 on Saturday. My youngest, Sean, is 3, and decided to do some wrestling. He had a blast, even though he lost.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150418_145750a.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	274.9 KB 
ID:	24577
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot2015-04-18-17-59-55a.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	254.2 KB 
ID:	24578

15. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to woodysjames For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the slideshows, they were great!

It's one of my favourite things about this site, being able to vicariously attend Highland Games all over the world, in places I'll never go in person.

In the misc slideshow I notice some nice kilts, Spirit Of Scotland, Roxburgh District (I think by The Greater Richmond Pipes & Drums), MacDonald of the Isles Hunting (don't know which band). I spied what looked like a Matt Newsome 4-yard boxpleat kilt. I saw a pair of ghillies laced way up the leg Viking style. I saw somebody with the hose too high, kilt too low, no knees at all, a common sight at Games.

Overall the Games and their setting remind me of my hometown Games, the West Virginia Games in Bridgeport, with lovely forested hills all around.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

17. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast